• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What would you do if you were selling this?

24 posts in this topic

S-10 R4 Wreath 1C.

1) Sell it as is

2) Crack it, "conserve" it, sell it raw

3) Send in to NCS to get it at least authenticated and net graded

4) Send it to PCGS for a GENUINE slab

5) something else?

1793_1C_obv_slab.jpg

1793_1C_rev_slab.jpg

Definitely I would say crack it out of that slab. I don't know what its worth, but if its value justifies it, I would recommend NCS.

Nevermind, just took a look at the price guide. Holy ! Definitely without a doubt send it to NCS.

What’s the big deal, there were 63,353 of these minted. :o

The S-10 denotes period after legend on reverse?

Edge: see individual varieties. Could be:

1. Vine and vertical bars, alternating

2. Lettered: ONE HUNDRED FOR A DOLLAR with one leaf after DOLLAR, or

3. Lettered: ONE HUNDRED FOR A DOLLAR with two leaves after DOLLAR

Send to NCS for conservation and hope to get it sent over and slabbed by NGC.
:takeit:

I would send it to NCS over PCGS. If the coin is slabable by NGC, they will send it to NGC for grading. If not, the slab will have the reason why it is not gradable (e.g., cleaned, etc.) and give you a grade on the details. PCGS will put it in a slab marked "Genuine" which (IMHO) tells you nothing except it is a genuine coin. I would rather have the information on the NCS slab then "Genuine."

Scott :hi:

Send to NCS for conservation and hope to get it sent over and slabbed by NGC.
:takeit:

I would send it to NCS over PCGS. If the coin is slabable by NGC, they will send it to NGC for grading. If not, the slab will have the reason why it is not gradable (e.g., cleaned, etc.) and give you a grade on the details. PCGS will put it in a slab marked "Genuine" which (IMHO) tells you nothing except it is a genuine coin. I would rather have the information on the NCS slab then "Genuine."

Scott :hi:

Agree. Doubt it will ever see the inside of an NGC slab due the porosity but an NCS slab with a net grade would be fine with me.

I'm with Scott and Dean, liberate it and send the coin to NCS for conservation and hope to get it sent over and slabbed by NGC.

If it comes back as NGC XF-45 a major celebration is in order. The reverse looks AU to me. You feeling lucky? :grin:

That coin is worthless. Please send it to me for recycling. PM me for my address so I can get it off your hands.

All joking aside, I really love that coin.

I don't think there is any kind of 'conservation' that would help the porosity of this coin, other than getting it in good plastic. So I agree with the PCGS Genuine holder. Of course, anything is possible, and PCGS might grade it!

The coin has it's inherent value, porosity and all. Great coin.

Edited to add:

If you crack this out yourself, please photograph the edges! and post the photos.

I am concerned about whether that is actually a genuine coin. It doesn't look "right" to me. But if it is, having it in a holder probably adds little resale appeal if you market it through the proper channels.

Fantastic coin!! I would send it first to PCGS and see if they will grade it. Even having it in a genuine holder would not be bad.

Here's another idea. Join EAC and put in the EAC auction next year. They can get some very good prices for pieces that are scarce but have problems, and you won't have to mess with the TPGs.

I too would send it to NCS & hope & pray that it might make it inside an NGC slab. A PCGS genuine holder wouldn't be too shabby either. Anything is better than that NUMEX slab. Good luck

I'd try NCS for grading and if I didn't like the grade go with a PCGS genuine slab.

I find that NCS is generally way too strict on their grading with many coins being downgraded a point.

PCGS genuine holder.

I agree. I wouldn't dare have NCS attempt to 'improve' it and honestly, from someone who has used both services, as sad as it is to state so, PCGS Genuine holders are heads and shoulders above NCS.

To maximize the bottom line, it would be fool hearty to allow emotion to step in the way when it comes to selling this coin.

And, that is what the OP is asking.

Now, on a personal, collector level, I enjoy my coins in the NCS holder as the grade and problem description is noted and that is important to me.

Provided it is authentic, I'd crack it out and sell it raw to one of the copper guys.

They will pay more for it than anyone, in my experience, and they could care less about slabs.

Thanks to all for the great feedback. This is definitely a fun little exercise!

I couldn't resist, and cracked the coin out. Being a bust guy, I just had to see the edge!

The coin is now in good hands on its way to the ANA show in LA. I will let a few "experts" take a look at it, and decide what to do with it at that point. If I can sell it for a reasonable amount as is, I will. If not, then I will get it back and decide from there how to proceed.

Here is a quick pic of the coin freed from it's Numex holder:

1793_wreath_raw_obvA.jpg

1793_wreath_raw_revA.jpg