• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1883CC $1 - slab or bag?

10 posts in this topic

Looks MS save for the contact marks - I tried to take a couple pics of the obverse from a couple different angles - look at it one wayit isn't so bad; the other, horrific.

Will it grade (and if so, at what level) or be bagged?

100_0376-1.jpg100_0375-1.jpg100_0374.jpg100_0378.jpg

Many thanks,

Landon Johnson

I don't see any reason why it would bag. There is some chatter and spots were the hair might be a little flat (but that might be the photo). I could see it as MS63 possible 4. Of course, I've had some bb that I was surprised (and not in a good way) about. :mad:

I would grade it MS-63 and would definitely save the grading fees. Spread is too small on these to make it worth sending in unless you have a sure-fire MS-65, or a DMPL coin.

NGC - hasn't shown up in the mail yet. I have seen the term PCGS mentioned around here, but being as I have been out of the hobby for 35 years I'm not sure where they fit in. Are they NGC rivals? Like P______ Coin Grading Service?

Of course I still don't know what CAC, IGC are either but I am sure I'll get there eventually. I stopped collecting at 13, when I discovered girls :) I was at a flea market a few months ago and some guy had certified coins - I was primarily wanting to encapsulate the coins I have to keep them nice, so I 'googled' it and ended up here. Long story and $109 later, the coins I have owned since 1969-70 are on their way back to me from NGC.

JamesEarly, maybe that explains why I went ahead and sent the coin in... other than the line of proof sets I have from 1958-2009, these are the only coins I have - five free submissions was the perfect number!

At first I thought we sent the grade to NGC and they typed up the little thingy and encapsulated the coin with the grade we provided - boy do I have a lot to learn!

Why do you ask if it is NGC or PCGS - is there a difference?

Thanks,

LJ

Yes, you got it, Professional Coin Grading Service. CAC is a third-party service that more or less certifies the original grading from a grading company, somewhat like a "second opinion". ICG is another grading service, generally not held with the same esteem as NGC or PCGS. I also don't think it was too bad to send in your CC. You were worried it wouldn't grade and now you have a MS-64! James is correct that your return on investment of grading fees isn't good, but with so many bad coins out there now, it's nice to at least have yours certified as genuine!

I agree... for me, these coins are not an investment, but for my daughter they may be just that to her after I am gone. She has not shown any interest in coins yet (she's 6...)

I'm very happy with the results. Just having it in a holder is good enuff for me.

Thanks,

LJ