• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Free Shipping Now Mandatory on eBay

39 posts in this topic

From the article: As of June 14 on eBay U.K., sellers who list items in Video Games, Mobile Phones, Consumer Electronics, Computing, Photography and Clothing will be required to offer free shipping as a first option to domestic buyers with usual fee-based delivery options to appear only afterward. If it floats at eBay U.K., will sellers on eBay U.S. be next to feel this sting?

Full Auctiva Story

Just like PayPal-only was a "test" on eBay Australia, we all know mandatory free shipping for all categories is coming to US eBay very soon. It's only a matter of time. Probably early next year for every category on US eBay.

And less auctions which is what eBay wants.

Exactly.

Sorry to those of you who depend on eBay, but the faster they go out of business, the better, as far as I'm concerned. They thoroughly distorted and ruined a brilliant business model.

Exactly.

Sorry to those of you who depend on eBay, but the faster they go out of business, the better, as far as I'm concerned. They thoroughly distorted and ruined a brilliant business model.

Why do they want less auctions?

It really doesn't surprise me!!

I know why they are doing it though. I bought a DVD a while ago for $0.99 and the

shipping was $16.00. I got the DVD in the mail and there was postage of $2.32 on

the package. Ebay is most likely getting sick of people charge crazy prices for shipping.

If I have to switch to free shipping I don't really care since I really only sell coins

and it doesn't cost that much to ship them.

hm Maybe I should start switching now!!

Exactly.

eBay wants out of the auction business. They deny this, but it is extremely clear based on their actions that this is what they want. They want to be like Amazon where people come and buy something right away and eBay gets their cut. If people want the item now, then they will currently bypass an auction and eBay and go to Amazon to get it.

It's amazing that the eBay Board has been able to take the world largest auction company and destroy all the goodwill and try to change it to something different and they still don't understand that it is failing even when their numbers across the board are being crushed.

It makes me wonder ...

Why do HONEST buyers and sellers continue to fool with eBay? (shrug)

So far as the coin business goes, only crooks cam survive there.

It makes me wonder ...

What option do we really have. If you send the coins to Teletrade or Heritage you

end up getting charged double what the ebay and paypal fee is.

Its not that I like eBay it just the only option I have!! I try to sell in the market place first.

It makes me wonder ...

So far as the coin business goes, only crooks cam survive there.

Bill I’m not sure what you mean. What other avenues do we have? I used to bring coins to the local B&M shops but they always offer me a fraction of what I end up getting on ebay.

Every since former CEO Meg Whitman left Ebay things have been spiraling down hill.

She is off to better things!!

By Michael Finnegan

February 10, 2009

Former EBay Chief Executive Meg Whitman joined the race for governor of California this morning, setting off a battle between Silicon Valley moguls for the 2010 nomination.

Former EBay Chief Executive Meg Whitman joined the race for governor of California this morning, setting off a battle between Silicon Valley moguls for the 2010 nomination.[/i]

Her campaign slogan is "California isn't for everyone".

Every since former CEO Meg Whitman left Ebay things have been spiraling down hill.

She is off to better things!!

By Michael Finnegan

February 10, 2009

Former EBay Chief Executive Meg Whitman joined the race for governor of California this morning, setting off a battle between Silicon Valley moguls for the 2010 nomination.

You might have to be a *spoon* to want that job right now. California is in a real mess.

Well I don't sell on ebay so I don't follow it really closely, but I believe they get a larger percentage on BIN's than they do on FV fees. If that is true then the fewer auctions an themore BIN's the bigger the bottom line. It's all about the money.

Conder is right it all about money!!

Auction Style Listings

Closing Price..............Final Value Fee

$0.01 - $25.00............8.75% of closing value

$25.01 - $1,000.00......Fee $2.19 Plus 3.50% of remaining balance

Over $1,000.00...........Fee $36.31 Plus 1.50% of remaining balance

Fixed Price Auctions

$0.01 - $50.00...........12.00% of closing value

$50.01- $1000.00.......Fee $6.00 Plus 6.00% of remaining balance

Over $1000.01...........Fee $63.00 Plus 2.00% of remaining balance

It makes me wonder ...

What option do we really have. If you send the coins to Teletrade or Heritage you

end up getting charged double what the ebay and paypal fee is.

Its not that I like eBay it just the only option I have!! I try to sell in the market place first.

I've spent most of my life as a buyer, except for the ten years that I was a dealer. As I dealer I could sell just about anything I wanted to sell out of my collection. Now that I'm retired, I work with the dealers I know to sell stuff.

Ebay is awful for buyers IMO. There are too many counterfeits and eBay does not care. There is over graded stuff, and they could care less. All I see are complaints about eBay. So it it's so bad, why mess with it?

As for auction charges, you get what you pay for ... if you are treated fairly.

Ebay is awful for buyers IMO. There are too many counterfeits and eBay does not care. There is over graded stuff, and they could care less. All I see are complaints about eBay. So it it's so bad, why mess with it?

As for auction charges, you get what you pay for ... if you are treated fairly.

I have never had a problem and really don't think it is that awful for buyers!! I do think buyers should be very careful what they buy on eBay.

I do think buyers should be very careful what they buy on eBay.

Fine, enjoy it. I don't like auctions very much, and I don't like buying coins from pictures unless I have no choice. There are a couple dealers who have auctions that I trust. Their grading is sometimes more conservative than mine.

I much perfer coin shows.

I do think buyers should be very careful what they buy on eBay.

Fine, enjoy it. I don't like auctions very much, and I don't like buying coins from pictures unless I have no choice. There are a couple dealers who have auctions that I trust. Their grading is sometimes more conservative than mine.

I much perfer coin shows.

Some collectors have it easier than others. I have no B&M shops in the area and I am not close to any coin shows. The closest coin show is Baltimore and it would cost me over $100 just in gas to drive there to look at coins. I don't like buying coins with looking at them in hand but I just don't have any other choice right now.

Bill, I enjoy coin shows more than ebay myself. I have sold a few coins at shows, but there isn’t always a show around.

I interpreted your original post to insinuate that people who sell coins on ebay are scam artists. I’m not a scam artist and I know a number of others who sell their coins on ebay who are also not scam artists. Perhaps I misinterpreted your original post hm .

I also think that Ebay is the only venue for buying for most buyers. It is much more convenient for those that live in larger cities where there are more B&M shops and dealers and are finacially stable to go to big coin shows, but for those less fortunate, we are left to sifle thru the garbage and make the best purchases we can on Ebay. This is one of the main reasons also that I joined this forum. When Ebay is the only venue, I have knowledgeable collectors here to help me to avoid the bad purchases.

In truth, there is ***spoon*** everywhere. I was at one of the B&M shops here in Boston a few days ago. While looking through the rotisserie of coins I noticed that they had a polished 1892 Columbian next to a nice original 1892 Columbian. Both coins had about AU details but the polished one was $15 more lol . I just left.

I’ve also walked the entire Bay State coin show with money that I’d saved up specifically for that show just burning a hole in my pocket only to find that there wasn’t a single coin I was comfortable spending money on. My point being that one can make a bad purchase at any venue...

I also prefer coin shows, but my attendance at these is sporadic and ebay as a venue is fine if one is not wed to the idea of having to buy something. I have done extraordinarily well buying over the years on ebay and have done well those times I have decided to sell, too.

Conder is right it all about money!!

Auction Style Listings

Closing Price..............Final Value Fee

$0.01 - $25.00............8.75% of closing value

$25.01 - $1,000.00......Fee $2.19 Plus 3.50% of remaining balance

Over $1,000.00...........Fee $36.31 Plus 1.50% of remaining balance

Fixed Price Auctions

$0.01 - $50.00...........12.00% of closing value

$50.01- $1000.00.......Fee $6.00 Plus 6.00% of remaining balance

Over $1000.01...........Fee $63.00 Plus 2.00% of remaining balance

Listing fees are lower for fixed price items than auctions. I can list a fixed priced items for 30-days than I can list the same item as an auction either with a starting price I want or with a reserve price.

Of course they get you on the PayPal fees, too.

Scott