• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Free shipping on e-bay? Never again!

66 posts in this topic

Unless it is a light weight item.

I just lost my fanny at the post office! The items were heavy rolls. Wasn't sure what shipping would be but they were too heavy for first class so they all went priority. Cost me $50 and the total sales was only $660 not including ebay and paypal fees.

Should have listened to Greg M. when he recommended against it!

Last month I reached the 20% discount/refund level. Had I offered free shipping I'd have received double that amount. As it was, the 20% did not cover the cost of my private insurance for shipping those packages. That's not even talking about the actual postage/bubble mailers/labels/invoices/ink/etc.

Free shipping is an eBay scam!

I found out that no matter what you mail at the post ofc, if the package, large letter, has anything rigid (a coin) it automatically is considered priority mail. Even those musical cards that have the little button in them is considered a rigid package and has to go priority mail. When I visit the post ofc to mail anything, I grab a couple of those prority boxes. They are free to take. The only thing you should have to pay is priority charges if all fits in the box ( from what I understand). The only other option which is cheaper is Priority Parcel.

I found out that no matter what you mail at the post ofc, if the package, large letter, has anything rigid (a coin) it automatically is considered priority mail. Even those musical cards that have the little button in them is considered a rigid package and has to go priority mail. When I visit the post ofc to mail anything, I grab a couple of those prority boxes. They are free to take. The only thing you should have to pay is priority charges if all fits in the box ( from what I understand). The only other option which is cheaper is Priority Parcel.

I have shipped coins in regular envelopes with only a surcharge if it was under an ounce and the envelope was thicker than a quarter of an inch. I put the coin in a Safe-T-Mailer and postage for the two-ounce rate. It ships with no problems.

When you get larger than a quarter of an inch thick, that's when you have to worry about these rules and surcharges. I ship slabs in a Safe-T-Mailer in a padded #0 envelope. I weigh the envelope and print postage from PayPal. Since it is not Priority Mail, I pay 18-cents for delivery confirmation. The rate is around $2. I have had no problems doing this.

Scott :hi:

Free shipping is an eBay scam!

That's an understatement!

I reused mail bubbles, bubble wrap and peanuts. That probably saved me ten bucks.

I was ignorant of the postage rates for what I was selling, so I thought that it would be simpler to have free shipping. Still, most of the whiney-assed buyers are never satisfied. That's why it is pleasant dealing with cordial ones occasionally.

Last round of ebay sales, I sold the second rolls of Lincoln cents. I paid double postage and mailed priority mail yet my feedback ratings went down from 5.0 because of new feedback from the buyer on both shipping costs and shipping time.

A trip to the post office to me is a 50 mile round trip so I insisted upon immediate payment. Still, for 3 buyers, I had to send out an email requesting payment 36 hours after the fact so that I could mail them out today.

I was never in during the golden age of e-bay but it certainly is a racket today but, until an alternative comes along that gets the same traffic, it is the only avenue for selling that I can see at the moment.

pencil.gif

USPS to cut service and raise prices...again

[font:Comic Sans MS]Feb. 20, 2009—Decrying a two decade-long erosion of 1st class person-to-person mail caused by the popularity of home-use computers in the 1980s and 90s and the advent of instant mail over snail mail. The United States Postal Service [uSPS] has watched its business erode since 1952 when upstart package courier United Parcel Service [uPS] sued in federal court to set aside the 1930-era Interstate Commerce Commission [iCC] regulations that gave the USPS monopolistic rights to "deliver the mail."

The USPS, decrying lost bulk package delivery revenues to UPS, applied for an increase in the price of 1st class postage stamp—the first one since Nov. 3, 1917. On Aug. 1, 1958 1st class stamps increased from 3¢ to 4¢. In two decades the price of a 1st class stamp rose from 4¢ to 6¢—paralleling the rate of inflation. In 1970 Congress passed the Postal Reorganization Act of 1970, divorcing the USPS from the federal government and, effective on July 1, 1971, making it a quasi-governmental independent postal system in order allow it to compete in the free enterprise system with UPS and Federal Express. And, of course, in the free enterprise system, prices escalate quickly. The 6¢ 1st class postage stamp rose to 8¢ in May, 1971; 10¢ in March, 1974; 13¢ in Dec., 1975. As the American people discovered cyber mail was faster—and free—in the 1980s and 90s, it suddenly cost a quarter to mail a snail mail letter. From Bush-41 to Clinton, four rate hikes took the price of the 1st class stamp from 25¢ to 34¢. During the Bush-43 years, there were five price increases, taking the price of the 1st class stamp from 34¢ to 42¢. From 2006 on, there has been a price increase every year. On May 11, 2009 the price of a 1st class stamp will rise to 44¢. On Jan. 18, 2009, the USPS raised prices for Express Mail, Priority Mail, Parcel Select and some international shipping products.

Excluding the US military, the USPS is the nation's second largest employer. Only Walmart employees more people than the Post Office. For that reason, the Postal Board of Governors believes that the Postmaster General of the United States should be paid like any other private enterprise corporate CEO. The GOP-controlled Congress enacted, and Bush-43 signed into law, the Postal Accountability and Enhancement Act of 2006 that raised the annual pay of the US Postmaster General from $186 thousand to $235 thousand.

Federal compensation guidelines specify that top postal officials are limited to no more than 120% of the income earned by the Vice President of the United States. In 2008, Vice President Cheney earned $221 thousand, thus the $258 thousand base paid to Potter. The Postal Board added deferred compensation to Potter's earnings because, they said, federal law makes it impossible to pay him even close to what equivalent jobs in the private sector pay.

The current, but soon to be replaced, Postmaster General is John Potter. He was appointed in June, 2001 by President George W. Bush. In the closing days of his tenure he has a newly beefed-up base wage of $258,840.00 plus a 2008 bonus of $135 thousand. This was a "performance bonus" even though the Post Office had a net loss of $2.8 billion last year (their fiscal year ran from Oct. 1, 2007 to Sept. 30, 2008). One-point-one billion of their annual loss happened in their third quarter (April-June, 2008). I guess profitable performance expectations at the Post Office just aren't that high for "part-time executives."

Potter_John.jpg

On top of that, a little-noticed regulatory filing in December, 2008 boosted his total compensation package almost fourfold—to twice the wage paid to the President of the United States. Potter's total compensation for 2008, including deferred retirement benefits and other executive perks, is $800 thousand. Postal Board members who approved the pay increase justified their action by noting that FedEx's chairman, Frederick W. Smith received $10.9 million in compensation for 2008. But then, Smith is not paid by forced largess of the taxpayers. Smith is paid from the proceeds received from FedEx's willing customers, sanctioned by the shareholders who own FedEx stock..Perhaps Potter should have taken a job in the private sector Particularly since the real work in the postal system fell to the purview of Deputy Postmaster Patrick Donahue who functions as the chief operating officer of the "company."

Potter was not the only postal chief to benefit from the largess of the taxpayers. Donahue received a $600 thousand compensation package in 2008 and Anthony Vegfliante, USPS's human resources director received just under $483 thousand. The top ten postal officials received exorbitant wage increases under the new law, with two of them receiving 2008 compensation packages that exceeded a quarter million dollars.

We are forced to wonder about just how good the USPS management is when a postmaster making almost a million dollars a year tells the taxpayers that they're thinking about cutting the pay of their carriers by 1/6th and eliminating Saturday mail deliveries because they can't afford to deliver mail six days a week. Or, when you hear reports that the USPS is preparing to lay off some 16 thousand postal employees because 1st class mail deliveries are off due to the nationwide slowdown in mail volume. The USPS denied that layoffs were planned even though it was reported in The Federal Times.

What the USPS did was to extend early-retirement offers to more than 156 thousand postal workers. In October, 2008, 3,700 USPS employees accepted the deal and left. Potter told the postal union at that time that he had identified 16 thousand workers who could be terminated without collective bargaining. That appears to have taken place in January, 2009. According to postal expert Murray Comarow, who led the commission that was responsible for restructuring the Post Office during the Nixon years, told the Federal Times that If the Postal Service couldn't increase mail volume and couldn't raise postal rates sufficiently to cover their losses, they would have to get rid of many post office employees. Which they did.

A Congressional report released last year revealed that third class mail (called "standard mail," or the term I prefer, "junk mail") now exceeds 1st class mail. Most first class mail, like second and third class mail, is business mail. But, with the liberals in control of Congress and the White House, it won't be much longer before the "private enterprise" Post Office will be asking for their own bailout. And, for a very brief moment in time, the quasi-free enterprise bureaucracy we know as the Post Office, will be profitable. Sadly, the consumers will no longer be able to afford to mail a letter.[/font]

I always figure that people factor shipping into their bids on ebay. I therefore thought that free shipping was a break-even proposition. No?

For many people, I think they do. However, for many items if the S&H listed is reasonable, I'll ignore it when figuring out my bid. What's a few extra dollars to get an item I want? Generic stuff I can understand lowering your bid, but for something harder to find, no way.

Also, if you are willing to pay $150 for an item, most people will put in bids of something like $151.82. If S&H were $2, would you really put in a bid of $149.82 knowing a bid of $150 would beat you? You'd likely put in the same bid as before and pay the S&H.

eBay and postal service rules change too quickly for me to keep up. The reason that I understand eBay is pushing free shipping is because so many items with high shipping costs relative to item price. Suppose you sell a 99c CD but charge $5.95 to ship, the total might be $6.94 and the seller might break even, but eBay only gets to charge a fee on 99c. Push the free shipping and the bid might go to $6, and the seller maybe breaks even, but eBay gets to charge on the whole amount. Now, I only list single coins with free shipping and usually charge for shipping rolls. Next time Victor, charge $4.95 for the flat rate Priority for each roll and get a supply of the little boxes from the PO to cut down on your direct expenses. And you're right, it's a racket, but you get what you pay for in a monopoly (where is that AT&T lawyer when you need one!).

That is not true regarding anything rigid in a package being automatically sent via Priority Mail.

well they are just wanting there cut to be higher. there were so many people out there that would charge high shipping just so they could make more by ebay getting a lower cut. I think free shipping might help sells because there are a lot of dumb people out there that do not figure that into the total cost. Many times you can get the same item with a high shipping cost for an overall lower cost.

That is not true regarding anything rigid in a package being automatically sent via Priority Mail.

I just sold a few coins a couple weeks ago. I put them in padded envelopes and all of them weighed less than 2oz.,.. They would not send them regular 1st class due to them having something rigid in them. I had to mail them as "1st Class Large Envelope Package" (otherwise Priority Mail was the only other option) and also because a coin was in them, this stipulation was also enforced. I stated that wrong Tom!! I know they had me pretty upset by the time I left there!

Letters that meet one or more of the nonmachinable characteristics below are subject to the $0.20 nonmachinable surcharge. For items over 3.5 ounces, see Large Envelope or Package.

It is a square letter (the minimum size for a square envelope is 5 x 5 inches.)

It is too rigid - does not bend easily

It has clasps, string, buttons, or similar closure devices

It has an address parallel to the shorter dimension of the letter

It contains items such as pens that cause the surface to be uneven

The length divided by height is less than 1.3 or more than 2.5

I always figure that people factor shipping into their bids on ebay. I therefore thought that free shipping was a break-even proposition. No?

For many people, I think they do. However, for many items if the S&H listed is reasonable, I'll ignore it when figuring out my bid. What's a few extra dollars to get an item I want? Generic stuff I can understand lowering your bid, but for something harder to find, no way.

Also, if you are willing to pay $150 for an item, most people will put in bids of something like $151.82. If S&H were $2, would you really put in a bid of $149.82 knowing a bid of $150 would beat you? You'd likely put in the same bid as before and pay the S&H.

You make solid points Greg. I'll have to revisit my approach to selling items on ebay.

You make solid points Greg. I'll have to revisit my approach to selling items on ebay.

If shipping is under $3 I don't factor the shipping into my bid.

When I bid at Teletrade and Heritage I never add the shipping but I do take into account the BP.

I offer free shipping and on all my auctions; unless the item(s) are heavy. Any item above $250 requires signature confirmation and I ship it registered with full insurance. USPS will not insure (payout if lost) coins and currency anything above face value unless you ship it registered and paypal will not cover items above $250 unless there is signature confirmation.

The present rules with ebay and paypal greatly favor the buyer. I consider the registered/signature confirmation as protection for me, not the buyer.

Also, on returns, all the shipping, insurance, etc. to and back, is charged to the buyer.

A completely idiotic statement. This person apprently does not have a clue what the private economy actually is or they would not have said this.

They obviously do not know the difference between the market setting prices and the government subsidizing postal rates at the expense of the taxpayer. If the USPS were privatized, no longer subsidized and subject to competition, they would have to become more efficient or they would go bankrupt. As to whether their rates would go down or not, I do not know. My guess is that its possible that rates would be lower for some than for others because there would (or should be) no universal service madate.

Excluding the US military, the USPS is the nation's second largest employer. Only Walmart employees more people than the Post Office. For that reason, the Postal Board of Governors believes that the Postmaster General of the United States should be paid like any other private enterprise corporate CEO. The GOP-controlled Congress enacted, and Bush-43 signed into law, the Postal Accountability and Enhancement Act of 2006 that raised the annual pay of the US Postmaster General from $186 thousand to $235 thousand.

This is another stupid comment. Leaving aside the minor detail on the criticims of executive compensation, government is even LESS accountable than company management. Effectively, they are accountable to no one for their performance. There is absolutely ZERO justification for paying them private market compensation.

stick a business flyer into the package and write it off at end of year as expense. i wrote mine off this year. advertising expense. also offering free shipping is a biz model to bring in more people so it is in itself a way to advertise.

I regularly lose money on the cost of shipping. I mainly ship to South Africa and the cost of registered mail plus private insurance is frequently around $25. I end up eating part of all of the cost of private insurance most of the time.

USPS will not insure (payout if lost) coins and currency anything above face value unless you ship it registered ...

Not true. The USPS will insure collectible coins and currency for their fair value if sent regular insured. They understand the difference between sending cash and sending collectibles. I've had a few claims paid by them for lost coins.

If you were shipping heavy rolls, I would have done the Flat Rate Priority Mail envelopes or boxes. It might have saved you a little money.

If you care about your DSRs, you pretty much have to have free shipping now.

USPS will not insure (payout if lost) coins and currency anything above face value unless you ship it registered ...

Not true. The USPS will insure collectible coins and currency for their fair value if sent regular insured. They understand the difference between sending cash and sending collectibles. I've had a few claims paid by them for lost coins.

This is interesting! My postal people have always told me that registered mail MUST be used for collectable coins. In fact all NGC, PCGS, etc. shipments are made using registered insured. It is much more expensive! If I ship a low cost item (<100) I ship first class insured. Most rip-off people don't know the details, and they will shy away from theft if they THINK it will bring the postal inspectors sniffing around. I'm not questioning your post (you have had claims), but are you sure of this?

This is interesting! My postal people have always told me that registered mail MUST be used for collectable coins. In fact all NGC, PCGS, etc. shipments are made using registered insured. It is much more expensive! If I ship a low cost item (<100) I ship first class insured. Most rip-off people don't know the details, and they will shy away from theft if they THINK it will bring the postal inspectors sniffing around. I'm not questioning your post (you have had claims), but are you sure of this?

I have filed claims for lost coins, lost autographed Football cards...heck even a MJ autographed baseball.....all claims were paid in full and none of the items were shipped registered. Problem with the PO is that depending on who you talk to in what state....you will get different answers. Shipping media mail is a prime example....sometimes comic books don't count, sometimes magazines don't count....sometimes school books don't count.....it just depend on who you get at the counter on any given day lol

I have filed claims for lost coins, lost autographed Football cards...heck even a MJ autographed baseball.....all claims were paid in full and none of the items were shipped registered. Problem with the PO is that depending on who you talk to in what state....you will get different answers. Shipping media mail is a prime example....sometimes comic books don't count, sometimes magazines don't count....sometimes school books don't count.....it just depend on who you get at the counter on any given day lol

Once again, they ALWAYS state currency is only insured at face value. Obviously a hundred dollars is always a hundred dollars, so it WOULD appear that they are directing this disclaimer straight at collectable coins. Other collectables do not apply to this I believe. We also come back to the fact that TPG's always use registered mail. Maybe they know something we don't? It COULD be the claims people don't know this exemption, or just don't care. I just wish I could find out for sure.

Once again, they ALWAYS state currency is only insured at face value. Obviously a hundred dollars is always a hundred dollars, so it WOULD appear that they are directing this disclaimer straight at collectable coins. Other collectables do not apply to this I believe. We also come back to the fact that TPG's always use registered mail. Maybe they know something we don't? It COULD be the claims people don't know this exemption, or just don't care. I just wish I could find out for sure.

Krypto can post all the assertions that he believes from his personal experieinces; regardless of what has or has not been actually paid out in claims when not using Registered mail.

The USPS policies are clear. Every postal clerk and manager at a branch or on the phone has confirmed that to assure a full payout for above face value US coins and currency, they must be Registered and insured for market value. As many has written, PCGS, NGC, et al, as well as Teletrade, most auction houses et al, all ship Registered. Why is that? Because the policy is clear. Moreover, it provides protection for the seller in cases of "I never received the coin". Registered mail is kept in a safe at the Post office when moving to the intended destination, which enhances the protection. As mentioned earlier, the rules for ebay and paypal do not favor the seller. Also, as mentioned earlier, it is a write-off when applicable.

I, for one, will do all I can to protect an $$ sale. The extra few dollars are well worth it.

Krypto can post all the assertions that he believes from his personal experieinces; regardless of what has or has not been actually paid out in claims when not using Registered mail.

The USPS policies are clear. Every postal clerk and manager at a branch or on the phone has confirmed that to assure a full payout for above face value US coins and currency, they must be Registered and insured for market value. As many has written, PCGS, NGC, et al, as well as Teletrade, most auction houses et al, all ship Registered. Why is that? Because the policy is clear. Moreover, it provides protection for the seller in cases of "I never received the coin". Registered mail is kept in a safe at the Post office when moving to the intended destination, which enhances the protection.

The average postal clerk does not know the rules of the Post Office. You'll get a different answer from every one of them to a simple question.

From the Domestic Mail Manual (DMM), Section 6.09 (Filing Indemnity Claims for Loss or Damage), Sub-Section 4.1 (Payable Claim), Part G states: Insurance for loss or damage to insured, registered, or COD mail within the amount covered by the fee paid or within the indemnity limits for Express Mail as explained in 4.2 is payable for the following: Fair market value of stamps and coins of philatelic or numismatic value, as determined by a recognized stamp or coin dealer or current coin and stamp collectors newsletters and trade papers.

It is very clear that collectible coins sent regular insured mail will been covered at their fair market value, not face value.

The TPG and auction houses use Registered Mail for a reason, it is the safest way to mail high value items and they are not paying the cost of the shipping. There is no dispute with who signed for the package or the mail man forgetting to get a signature with Registered Mail. It's best for their use, not necessarily yours.

The USPS policies are clear. Every postal clerk and manager at a branch or on the phone has confirmed that to assure a full payout for above face value US coins and currency, they must be Registered and insured for market value. As many has written, PCGS, NGC, et al, as well as Teletrade, most auction houses et al, all ship Registered. Why is that? Because the policy is clear. Moreover, it provides protection for the seller in cases of "I never received the coin". Registered mail is kept in a safe at the Post office when moving to the intended destination, which enhances the protection.

The average postal clerk does not know the rules of the Post Office. You'll get a different answer from every one of them to a simple question.

From the Domestic Mail Manual (DMM), Section 6.09 (Filing Indemnity Claims for Loss or Damage), Sub-Section 4.1 (Payable Claim), Part G states: Insurance for loss or damage to insured, registered, or COD mail within the amount covered by the fee paid or within the indemnity limits for Express Mail as explained in 4.2 is payable for the following: Fair market value of stamps and coins of philatelic or numismatic value, as determined by a recognized stamp or coin dealer or current coin and stamp collectors newsletters and trade papers.

It is very clear that collectible coins sent regular insured mail will been covered at their fair market value, not face value.

The TPG and auction houses use Registered Mail for a reason, it is the safest way to mail high value items and they are not paying the cost of the shipping. There is no dispute with who signed for the package or the mail man forgetting to get a signature with Registered Mail. It's best for their use, not necessarily yours.

(thumbs u

Again...you can stick you head in a regulations book or you can go out in the real world and have practical hands on experience and knowledge dealing with such things. I have been buying and selling on Ebay for 10 years......all I buy and sell are collectibles.......they are all shipped by me or two me using the USPS......and outside of a handful of very high dollar items......all have been shipped regular mail with insurance.

If you want to call these facts assertions....well then blebleble.gif

Thank you for your very informative post! This was just the info I was looking for! It's always nice when someone provides support for their facts. For those interested, I DID confirm this info by a simple google of the DMM. Thank you again for clearing this up for me in a very well presented fashion!

I don't know about the regulations on loss, etc. but I do know that for more expensive coins, it's much cheaper to send registered than first class insured. I just sent some notes to PMG, and checked the rates on the PO website and surprisingly enough, registered was cheaper.