• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Best pic you ever took!!

192 posts in this topic

Congrats guys!! You all have posted some beautiful coins & pics here. I've had an inferiority complex for a LOOOOOOONG time on these boards because my earlier photos for lack of a better word looked like, well you know what I mean.

As I said many times, buying the coins are the easy part taking the photos are the hard part. (at least from my own personal experience)

I like to think that I've substantially improved with a big thanks to Mark Goodman & his Numismatic Photography book. (Very helpful & if you don't already have it, you should pick it up.)

The next 3 pics are somewhat evolutionary in my photographic development. Same coin, just taken at different stages. This 1885-o Morgan isn't one of my favorite toned coins by any means, but it has been one of the more difficult ones for me to photograph.

1st photo, I had NO clue about anything. (lighting, angles, etc) The pics look dark & the colors almost appear non-existent.

2nd photo, I might have had a clue, but I would only take pics in the daytime , using sunlight as my preferred lighting source.The colors & detail seemed OK to me at the time, but there wasn't any luster showing up

3rd photo, I bought Mark's book, decided to invest in a copy stand, some lights & a better camera. It's not a DSLR camera, it's a point & shoot but I'm happy with it's performance so far. The pic now looks more representative of it's "in-hand" appearance showing luster & color. (although I think I sacrificed on the details of the strike)

I know I still have a way to go as far as my photos, but I think I'm headed down the right path.

DSCN2026.jpg[/img]

IMG_0582.jpg[/img]

015.jpg[/img]

You can see an advancement in each! (thumbs u

I can see you are a very good student. Very nice improvement. (thumbs u

And thanks again Bob, that copy stand you recommended works like a charm & definitely worth the price (thumbs u

And thanks again Bob, that copy stand you recommended works like a charm & definitely worth the price (thumbs u

Looks great Hoard. You are a great student. :applause: (thumbs u

Guess I'll have cheat a little and post another of my favorites. This was a very hard coin to shoot because it's so dark and it was very hard to get the strong die clashes on the reverse to show up.

64797129.jpg

64797130.jpg

That's a good pic Steve!

As far as proofs go, I thought this didn't turn out too bad of a shot. I still get a little glare here and there.

2009LincolnCommemorativeProof.jpg

Don't feel bad Bobby. I always have trouble with reflections on my proof coins. I usually end of taking my pics of them at an angle. I won't get that cameo appearance, but I kind of like the way they turn out.

011.jpg[/img]

Ok, this may be the new best pic I've ever taken. Absolutely incredible, I just love the way the contrast is on this coin on top of the character that's exibited on the devices. I hope you enjoy it the same as me.

taylorsm.jpg

Don't feel bad Bobby. I always have trouble with reflections on my proof coins. I usually end of taking my pics of them at an angle. I won't get that cameo appearance, but I kind of like the way they turn out.

Filthy......why don't you try using diffused lighting!!

I got help from Paul and it is starting to pay off!! Link

Honestly, just using the right angle will take the glare off proof coins. Although, I do use diffused lighting when I take pics of my proof coins just like in the pics above. I use several different methods and keep only the best photos.

My problem is not just the reflection off the proof coin but the reflection from the slab! Does anyone have any suggestions that I can try? All help is greatly appreciated.

Well, I'm joinin the club. Just bought the same camera as Schatzy, it should come soon

What lamp do I need ? I have a single 50W halogen which I shot some pics with today on my phone, they turned out decent.. such as below

I also have a mini tripod coming :)

2007w-eagle-pf70.gif

Well, I'm joinin the club. Just bought the same camera as Schatzy, it should come soon

I also have a mini tripod coming :)

Congrats!! Now you will get to waste a whole weekend learning how to use it!! lol

Filthy......why don't you try using diffused lighting!!

I got help from Paul and it is starting to pay off!! Link

I certainly will try it & thanks for the link. Only problem now is I hope I don't burn the house down :D

Oops...US coin.

I took a decent photo of a Large Cent a few years ago, when I find it I'll post it.

Oops...US coin.

I took a decent photo of a Large Cent a few years ago, when I find it I'll post it.

No indication that it has to be a US coin. Just the best pics.

What about those of us who have never taken a picture they like? I fall into that category, but I will play along.
Fibber!! Man I wish when I took pictures of coins with colors they came out half that nice. Or maybe it's because I don't have any coins with that nice of color? Nice coin, nice pic.

What about those of us who have never taken a picture they like? I fall into that category, but I will play along.
Fibber!! Man I wish when I took pictures of coins with colors they came out half that nice. Or maybe it's because I don't have any coins with that nice of color? Nice coin, nice pic.

The Truth! I have maybe like 1 or 2 photos I have ever taken. The rest have something wrong with them.

The Truth! I have maybe like 1 or 2 photos I have ever taken. The rest have something wrong with them.

Bruce, you're such a fibber. :screwy: I'll betcha I've seen a couple of hundred of your photos that would make this thread.

Bruce, you're such a fibber. :screwy: I'll betcha I've seen a couple of hundred of your photos that would make this thread.

I hear ya Bob. He can't fool us, I've seen too many nice washies posted by you bruce!

I hear ya Bob. He can't fool us, I've seen too many nice washies posted by you bruce!

Nice coins sure, but photos lack in one way or another.

Bob I only have a few I would put in this thread as satisfactory to me.