• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Best pic you ever took!!

192 posts in this topic

We've been getting a few posts on preference of cameras, setups, etc... So I thought maybe I'd start a post for pics. Here are the rules:

Post the "BEST" pic you think you have ever taken of a coin!

Only one pic per person!!

Only one coin in the pic!

The coin must be or have been owned by you.

List the camera type you took the pic with!

Any specific setups that you used for the pic! (optional)

Also, just to be considerate of dial-uppers, lets try to limit the size of the pic to 800pix.

So let the games begin!! lol

This is the best picture I have taken with my current camera so far, It also happens to be the only decent picture of a proof that I have been able to take to date. I wonder if it had anything to do with the red boarder of the mint packaging or the cameo surface?

IMG_0623.jpg

I don't remember what setup I used to take the picture but the camera is a Canon SX110IS.

Bobby how do you start a thread and not even post a picture!!

I will have to find mine.

I know, I'm looking! lol Nice Qtr there Buggman.

Ok, after looking at a few, I settled on this WLH. I took this with my Canon IS S3. This was taken in super-macro mode, 2 OTT lites and an angle table I made. After a few different angles, I was able to finally capture it's true colors.

TonedWLH019-1.jpg

1893 MS65 CAC Barber Quarter

1893BarberQtrRev.jpg

Taken with a Canon IS S5 Camera under the "super macro" setting. One table lamp for lighting.

Scuffs are on the plastic. Must have happened in lHeritage lot viewing :mad:

Here's a Heritage photo of the same coin:

1893HeritageRevPic.jpg

First, I would like to say that I think it is completely unfair that I have to follow that ridiculously nice photo. Sweet one Bob! At first glance this photo may not seem that special, until you notice the lime green and violet iridescent toning in the obverse fields. The color is so elusive that I had to take this photo without using a copy stand in order to get the angle just right. That's right, I took the obverse photo freehand.

JeffersonNickel1942-SNGCMS672183-17.jpg

JeffersonNickel1942-SNGCMS672183-18.jpg

This 1835 Classic Head Half Cent is my best picture to date. I used a Olympus SP500UZ with two Ott lights and a tabletop stand.

1835-0001.jpg

1835-0002.jpg

Ok, I should know this by now. What are OTT lights? They seem to make the best pics.
Low power miniature fluorescent lights. You'll usually see them stated as 13W. It depends on what you want whether they are the best or not, and what your setup is. I've tried Ott lights and I just couldn't get the color balance right, or I just didn't have enough patience. Can't remember which!! ;)

Here's an example of an Ott light.

!BTk2oiwBWk~$(KGrHgoOKiUEjlLmWrB3BKJL,w7zng~~_1.JPG

I am still amazed that I took these images. I wish I could remember how I set up the lighting but the images are very accurate.

1922201-001O.jpg

1922201-001R.jpg

Too many to choose from but I will go with this becuase the coin was so amazing. I selected a full slab shot as well becuase in my opinion it is much more difficult to get a great image that shows off the coin and the slab and there is less chance of monkey business with color and contrast because we all know what colors a slab and label should be in hand (thumbs u

new002.jpg

new009.jpg

I use a Cannon Powershot AS100 is and GE reveal bulbs in (3) gooseneck lamps...and a tri-pod.....no copy stand for me as they just aren't flexible enough for my taste.

This is one of my favorite pics that I have ever taken. I took it on the front porch last year while in Tonopah with the sun just right and held in my hand. I used my Canon power shot on automatic settings.

I love the contrast play among the lights and darks as well as the actual texture of the fields seen. It reminds me of the artist rendition of proofs shown on the US Mint's website.

249645-018O.jpg249645-018R.jpg

I'm not the best at imaging toned coins. I use a Cannon powershot S5-IS, super micro.

Compare my raw images to PCGS true-view raw images. hm

(Sorry about the size difference)

5.jpgIMG_1154.jpg

1957d-25c-PCGSms66.jpg

Well I have to admit we have some hidden photographers in here. Nice pics all. I've went thru the posts so far and for those that did mention what cameras were used. All pics look good but in case amyone may be wondering so far what the most popular camera is as of present, here goes:

btw, the number represents how many pics were taken with that type camera.

Sanyo - 1, Nikon - 2, Olympus - 3, & # 1 camera so far Canon - 7

Bang for the buck the cannon looks like a winner thus far. I plan to post some pics from my nikon if I can ever get time to take the pictures.

Bang for the buck the cannon looks like a winner thus far. I plan to post some pics from my nikon if I can ever get time to take the pictures.

It truly is...I owned a Nikon Coolpixs 5400 and with lenses etc I paid at least $450...I dropped that one and it stopped working so while I was at sears I found the Cannon Powershot as100is and it was in the discount bin after being returned. At the time is was selling for $299 and they had this one priced at $200.... :o

Needless to say it was cheaper and takes even better pictures stright out of the box. Once folks learn how to get their coins properly lit for imaging and get the white balance set......you really don't need anything more......I mean look at these pictures with no special lenses etc:

1885OMorgan-1.jpg

1964024.jpg

1964026.jpg

1964040.jpg

1964042.jpg

Ike003.jpg

Ike009.jpg

new3020.jpg

new3021.jpg

coins2050.jpg

coins2055.jpg

1958MintSet14106.jpg

1958MintSet14110.jpg

1958MintSet14114.jpg

1958MintSet14116.jpg

1958MintSet14069.jpg

1958MintSet14073.jpg

1958MintSet14081.jpg

1958MintSet14086.jpg

1958MintSet14095.jpg

1958MintSet14099.jpg

IMO, Shane probably takes the best images of toned coins with the cheapest camera used on these boards! lol:insane:

Isn't it ironic?

P.S. (Still have that neon reverse toned '58-d WQ Shane (thumbs u )