• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The 1811 Half Cent

13 posts in this topic

My gosh...let me tell you how long I have WANTED an 1811 Half Cent that was decent (this along with the 1802 that I posted earlier), and now, here it is.

I cannot tell you how important this coin is to me...why...well, that's a long story connected to an 1811 Mickley Restrike I once owned (ex Virgil Brand), which I bought raw and had holdered at NGC (at that time also, PCGS would not holder the Mickley Restrike, however they now do).

What bothered me about the Mickley was that it was a forgery. Plain and simple. The mystique? Well, yes, it's a storied coin, and was made from the obverse (2)die of the 1811 half cent, and the reverse (b) of the 1802 = a mule).

Since I sold the Mickley, I've always missed it, and I fantasized having both an 1811 and an 1802. Interesting he had the dies of two of the key date half cents.

Well, now the fantasy is fulfilled. I was tempted to get a high grade C2 that became available and would have cost me a fortune, and probably be difficult to move, so I did NOT settle, I just bought a lower grade, which is perfectly fine for me. The C1 is darn hard to find in this condition, so I'm happy. Just technicality wise (and rarity wise), there were two obverse dies used and one reverse die, for the 1811 Half Cent. Obverse 1 is the 'wide date', obverse 2, the 'close date', compared to 1. Also, for the 1, the E in LIBERTY is stamped over a smaller E.

1 is an R4, 2 is an R3.

Well...enough of that....

Here's my (lousy and hasty) pic:

3622743633_3ecccbe10b.jpg

3622743861_9fc800d3ce.jpg

scratches are on the holder. Surfaces are amazingly clean for the grade.

If not beautiful.

Mike, congratulations and that looks like a nice one!

.... I just bought a lower grade, which is perfectly fine for me.
I was glad to see you post that - for more than one reason, a higher grade is not always "better".

.... I just bought a lower grade, which is perfectly fine for me.
I was glad to see you post that - for more than one reason, a higher grade is not always "better".

(thumbs u

Great looking coin Mike!

That's a really great piece! :golfclap:

It's much nicer than the one I had when I was collecting half cents by die variety. (thumbs u

As for Mickley restrike, it irks me that these pieces can get some unfair points on the registry. I know that the Mickely coin is rare, but coins like the 1804 "restrike" cent should not used to fill holes in the regular coin registry.