• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Here's what appears to be an Ebay seller with no conscience..

47 posts in this topic

How do you determine that this coin is a replica(copy)?

I don't see copy or replica on it.

There is no exact determinate way to tell just by looking at images, but common sense must prevail in situations like this. In most instances, if it's to good to be true (an extremely high dollar rare coin selling for way less than value) then it usually is.

Also, what are the odds of a raw example of this caliber, MS-65 with DMPL surfaces even existing to be sold in a e-bay auction?

This type of coin would be at a premier auction with all kinds of notoriety, but yet it is buried in ho-hum Morgan auctions of e-bay. Not a chance this one is the real deal...once the buyer gets this coin in hand, they will realize it's a silver reproduction. (well at least a half knowledgeable one will)

Once the buyer gets this jewel they need to weigh it, a genuine silver dollar will weigh about 26.7 grams, whereas a silver round will weigh about 31.1 grams.

Did anyone else notice that this guy seems to be cracking out slabs and selling the coins raw? I'll bet his photos are juiced.

He even uses a PCGS gasket as a coin stand!

One other red flag I forgot to mention is Private Auctions. You can not see the buyer or the coin he sold from the feedback history. Not that a private auction in itself is a red flag, it is when someone is obviously trying to pull off various scams.

This post has really nothing to do with the before post. But somewhat to do with ebay.

I have signed up for ebay alerts on certain coins such as 3cent, 2 cent and patterns. Today there were serveral buy it nows that showed up on the emails and almost all I clicked on to check out showed that ebay had removed the item. I know at times ebay is slow to react but looks like there is someone there checking up on things.

This post has really nothing to do with the before post. But somewhat to do with ebay.

I have signed up for ebay alerts on certain coins such as 3cent, 2 cent and patterns. Today there were serveral buy it nows that showed up on the emails and almost all I clicked on to check out showed that ebay had removed the item. I know at times ebay is slow to react but looks like there is someone there checking up on things.

The problem is that often, they remove listings of legitimate sellers/coins, based on extremely minor infractions, while at the same time, doing nothing about blatant scammers.

The problem is that often, they remove listings of legitimate sellers/coins, based on extremely minor infractions, while at the same time, doing nothing about blatant scammers.

Looks like the auctions have been relisted.

Some guy with a feedback rating of 19 has over a million in coins on buy it now auctions.

Why would someone think they can get on ebay with a feedback of 19 and think they could sale coins like these?

http://shop.ebay.com/merchant/supecool_W0QQQ5ftrkparmsZ65Q253A12Q257C66Q253A2Q257C39Q253A1Q257C72Q253A1205QQ_trksidZp3911Q2ec0Q2em14QQ_sopZ3QQ_scZ1

Some guy with a feedback rating of 19 has over a million in coins on buy it now auctions.

Why would someone think they can get on ebay with a feedback of 19 and think they could sale coins like these?

http://shop.ebay.com/merchant/supecool_W0QQQ5ftrkparmsZ65Q253A12Q257C66Q253A2Q257C39Q253A1Q257C72Q253A1205QQ_trksidZp3911Q2ec0Q2em14QQ_sopZ3QQ_scZ1

I did a quick look on Heritage for two of the coins this seller has for sale :

HA Coin :

http://coins.ha.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=1122&Lot_No=1434&src=pr

Sellers Coin:

Item #

HA Coin:

http://coins.ha.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=1124&Lot_No=703&src=pr

Sellers Coin:

Item #

It is not really uncommon for a seller to use a picture from Heritage if they purchased the coin from a Heritage Auction. However this seller does not pass the smell test. I do not have the time but I would bet if I did a search for all of this sellers coins I would find most of them from past Heritage Auctions. As Bartesvilleok said – 19 feedbacks and over a million dollars in coins for sale is a huge Red Flag.

I emailed this guy an asked him how long he had the coin and why it was for sale .

Do you think I received a response :-} ??

I emailed this guy an asked him how long he had the coin and why it was for sale .

Do you think I received a response :-} ??

Dang ebay and there $.05 listing fee's, really helping the crooks

I believe this is a real seller who has the coins in question, and he was recently NARUed from eBay and has returned under this alias. There was a thread ATS on this guy, IIRC. While his prices may be strong, I do not believe him to be a crook....Mike

Well....

1) Who sells a 200K coin on ebay?

2) Who buys a 200K coin on ebay?

First person to correctly answer both questions wins the Hope Diamond!

(just enclose $9.95 for shipping and handling)

Well....

No one. Sellers use it as cheap advertising. RCW used to list things like proof Bust dollars on eBay. I doubt they expected them to sell, but it was cheap advertising.

Well....

1) a crook

2) someone with more money then brains

EBAY has massive exposure - where else can you get worldwide exposure ?

It's a pain in the *** I know. Because it will never die.

Real seller ? He has 20 feedback now.. for a 1916-D Merc Dime, a $2500 F12

Speaking of ebay sellers, please comment on item# 280352300413. This is from a seller who has NO sales, has been on ebay a month, has bought low price items, and now has an 85CC Morgan for auction. What do you think of the holder? I asked for scan of holder reverse, but he didn't have time. Check his other items. He's buying Sac dollars and selling a 1916 D Merc? Hmmmm.

Seems like the longer you do this the better you get! This morning I get a message from ebay that this seller is involved in fraud! On Ebay!?! Have you ever heard of such a thing!?!!! I checked his feedback and it's all negative as a seller! Go Figure!

On a side note, I answered a local ad to purchase a Gold Eagle. The seller provided pics by email and they looked very nice! I responded I would offer $450 (about melt!) but asked if he had a receipt and where he purchased it. He jumped on my offer (first warning) but said he had no receipt as he received it as a gift. I replied that I understood that, but I didn't want to buy a stolen coin or a fake. I told him I would meet him to examine the piece, and purchase with cash if it was real. I also added that I was an expert at determining fakes (not true, but what does he know!) and would have to approve it first. Never heard from him again! Another scammer busted!!

Sometimes I hate this hobby; however this shows what a little caution can do for you!