• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Collectors Society Membership

19 posts in this topic

Just got this email that my Elite Membership will expire on 5/14/2009.

"You can renew now at the reduced rate of only $229 " are you kidding me! $229 that is just rediculus, up from $99 last May. i wont be joining again NGC. :hi:

so much for customer loyalty! i`ve been a member for many years and this is how they treat ya, with a major price increse and the ugliest new holders out there! money, money, money! :devil:

The $99 membership you had was the probably the Premium membership. The Elite was over $200 last year. I don't blame you for not going that route. Check your paperwork from last May. If you did get the Elite membership for $99, you got a super deal.

my membership ends 6/4,i paid $99 for an ELITE membership.if i stay i will only pay the $99 for the premium.i think it is way too much for an elite membership!i am just your average collector,can't afford that much.in these times you would think prices for this would come down.but like the economy,everything goes up for a little enjoyment.(disgruntled)

They introduced a new membership tier scheme not too long ago. There are more levels now, including an inexpensive one that's only like $30 (I don't remember exactly how much it is) For a small time collector, it doesn't seem like its worth it to get anything more than the lowest level.

The $99 membership you had was the probably the Premium membership. The Elite was over $200 last year. I don't blame you for not going that route. Check your paperwork from last May. If you did get the Elite membership for $99, you got a super deal.

I got my Elite membership last April for $99. The only difference between the new Elite and the next lower level is the 10% discount on grading fees. If you dont submit a lot of coins each year, you can get all the same benefits at the new $99 level, and just pay the full price on grading when you submit.

I got my Elite membership last April for $99. The only difference between the new Elite and the next lower level is the 10% discount on grading fees. If you dont submit a lot of coins each year, you can get all the same benefits at the new $99 level, and just pay the full price on grading when you submit.

I stand corrected. I agree, that is a ridiculous jump in price. Unless you submit a tremendous amount of coins, not worth the "bargain". I don't really see the advantage of the $99 fee as opposed to the $39 fee. You pay full price for grading under both tiers although I suppose they throw in a couple of free coupons.

Unless you submit a tremendous amount of coins, not worth the "bargain". I don't really see the advantage of the $99 fee as opposed to the $39 fee. You pay full price for grading under both tiers although I suppose they throw in a couple of free coupons.

The price difference is $140 to get that 10% discount. To break even, you only need to submit:

47 at the Early Bird Tier

88 at the Economy Tier

112 at the Modern Tier

I suspect many people submit this many coins during an entire year.

The price difference is $140 to get that 10% discount. To break even, you only need to submit:

47 at the Early Bird Tier

88 at the Economy Tier

112 at the Modern Tier

I suspect many people submit this many coins during an entire year.

For my 55 note PMG submission, I saved a little over $60 - so it is possible depending on your number of orders or size.

The Elite appears to be structured for a high submission collector or dealer.

The Premium is the cheapest and best value when you consider the added value of 5 free coin submissions.

Now, if you will not submit 5 coins a year....Associate is the best value.

The premium is worth the $99 is you use them for anything other than value or modern tiers. But the fact remains that for the $100+ increase in price, you now get the same benefits as last year.

Another alternative to consider: I recently joined the ANA and so have submission privileges through them. I wouldn't want to direct business away from NGC, but this is another option for some.

I'll jump into this thread with a somewhat related comment.

I just want to get some CWT's into plastic and maybe 5 or 6 counterstamped Peace Dollars.....BUT I hate the prongs of death, especially on small coins.....

So, I'm on record as saying I'll join the lowest tier option when I can get my coins slabbed without the prongs.

If you upgrade from premium to elite this year, do they send you a separate package in addition to the premium package.?

The only difference between the premium and elite package is the 10% off NGC Grading Tiers. So NGC wouldn't need to send you anything.

If you have to renew your membership you will get a new package for whatever tier you sign up for.

I just want to get some CWT's into plastic and maybe 5 or 6 counterstamped Peace Dollars

Does NGC even grade counterstamped coins.

Definately, they do.

I have some Mel Wacks Camp David Peace Summit counterstamps and a trial die counterstamp for that design that's mentioned in Roger Burdettes Peace Dollar Book.

I've seen them in NGC holders. I'm not so sure about other counterstamps.

I just want to get some CWT's into plastic and maybe 5 or 6 counterstamped Peace Dollars

Does NGC even grade counterstamped coins.

Definately, they do.

I have some Mel Wacks Camp David Peace Summit counterstamps and a trial die counterstamp for that design that's mentioned in Roger Burdettes Peace Dollar Book.

I've seen them in NGC holders. I'm not so sure about other counterstamps.

Cool, I never seen one in the holder so I really didn't know.

I just did a google search and found one with the letter E on the coin.

I do believe that the elite package also gives you access to the complete Numismedia price list...there may even be a few other small embelishments..I chose elite even though I only submit 40-50 coins a years..