• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Well I took my Camera to the garage to take some pictures ...

17 posts in this topic

of a car for resale AND I dropped it right on the ZOOM lens portion. Try that I may I had to trash my right hand ( my camera you dopes ) :( -

I have had the camera for 10 years and it was a used one then (One of Kodaks first Digital camera's) It produced shots like this by hand

(Picture #1)

Now I have to relearn a whole new camera and with 55 coins to take a picture of I am a little more than disturbed. A few little tweaks with the old camera and away I went. This new one (another used one) has too many little gizmos to play with and the automatic feature is just not good enough for close up pictures. After three hours of playing with it I am starting to have hope ... ( Picture #2 )

A little lighting shift and a total redesign of my office and we may be in business :)

NOW how quick can I take 110 pictures (obv&rev) so I can start selling on EBAY eheh hmmm probably a month :)

78681.jpg.826a71d30ea7b8afdddf24476729256c.jpg

78682.jpg.c2e4317c1a0ca97b15f1815374efd0b1.jpg

Sorry to hear about your loss. :(

I know what you mean about the cameras having lots of buttons and whatnot. But a little practice, a bit of trial and error, and some patience (what's that?) and you should be in business. That second pic doesn't look too bad, you're getting there.

Sorry to hear about your loss. :(

I know what you mean about the cameras having lots of buttons and whatnot. But a little practice, a bit of trial and error, and some patience (what's that?) and you should be in business. That second pic doesn't look too bad, you're getting there.

I think its more of a lighting issue - then I have tweak it again

At ISO 50 I have to use my copy stand now thats why I have to reorganize my office to bring all my lights to it ...

My problem is not with my camera (Canon PowerShot Pro1) it is consistent reproducibility. I'm in serious need of a copy stand with attached lights and a macro lens. As it is, I have the supermacro mode but it will often obscure the light source so I constantly have to play around with the lighting and take lots of pics (usually) which consumes time.

I'd like to reproduce the set up shown in Mark Goodman's book, "Numismatic Photography". Now that's a man who knows his stuff!

I am trying to learn how to photo coins

My Nikon coolpix 900 is 1999 model and has poor macro features

What is a great camera to photo coins??

Thanks

L

My problem is not with my camera (Canon PowerShot Pro1) it is consistent reproducibility. I'm in serious need of a copy stand with attached lights and a macro lens. As it is, I have the supermacro mode but it will often obscure the light source so I constantly have to play around with the lighting and take lots of pics (usually) which consumes time.

I'd like to reproduce the set up shown in Mark Goodman's book, "Numismatic Photography". Now that's a man who knows his stuff!

i use a telephoto lense with the super mac. it allows me to back off the object a bit .

That may work, too, ant. Never tried it. What's a bummer is that I have a SLR with all the different lenses that I haven't used in years. Sure wish that they would work on my digital camera.

And, Michael, your pics are decent but still a long way from where they should by. I'm not saying that I could do better by no means but after reading Mark Goodman's book, I realize that my skills could use beaucoup improvement! Check out that book, it is definitely worth while! They sell on ebay for a reasonable price.

That may work, too, ant. Never tried it. What's a bummer is that I have a SLR with all the different lenses that I haven't used in years. Sure wish that they would work on my digital camera.

And, Michael, your pics are decent but still a long way from where they should by. I'm not saying that I could do better by no means but after reading Mark Goodman's book, I realize that my skills could use beaucoup improvement! Check out that book, it is definitely worth while! They sell on ebay for a reasonable price.

I like the morgan shot and I am looking for "as you say" consistancy over perfection. If I can gert a shot like the MORGAN just posted I would be tempted to start shoting my WHOLE morgan collection after the coins I need to sell ( Up to 75 coins now )

That stinks! One of the rules that I have heard time and again is to always wear a strap for the camera, but I seldom follow this rule. Maybe I will learn from your misfortune!

That stinks! One of the rules that I have heard time and again is to always wear a strap for the camera, but I seldom follow this rule. Maybe I will learn from your misfortune!

It was idiocy in trying to hold the camera in place with my knee and opening a hood of a car hahahaha can you say dooofussss ...

It was about time I stepped up to a newer camera anyway

I just got a attaboy ATS from Mark Goodman with a few pointers - I was trying to explain why I was using an ISO 50 setting and he understood why and said

"fine pic.

Low ISO will allow for a little smoother and less noisy pics, but will take a longer exposure. You can still use whatever aperture setting you wish, it will just require a steadier camera - thus the copystand becomes your friend. Longer exposure can be mitigated by lots of light."

"More light wattage ---> more light on the coin ---> faster shutter speed ---> less problem with unwanted motion ---> sharper images.

ISO 50 with a megabright light requires the same shutter speed/aperutre setting as ISO 400 with a not so bright light"

Thanks

L

I know several people on here, including me, use a Canon Powershot SX100IS. I love it, it takes good coin pictures with minimal effort, and good regular pictures too. I know Shane also uses this camera. Just take a look at my registry set for examples of my pictures.

Thanks

L

I know several people on here, including me, use a Canon Powershot SX100IS. I love it, it takes good coin pictures with minimal effort, and good regular pictures too. I know Shane also uses this camera. Just take a look at my registry set for examples of my pictures.

Sounds like the one I need!

Thanks

I just purchased Mark Goodman's book but I have yet to receive it. I desperately need some help with photographing toned & slabbed coins. i know it has to be a lighting issue.

Has anyone purchased this book & would it be helpful for a novice , weekend warrior photographer such as myself?