• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1909s VDB (dug)

16 posts in this topic

Hi Everyone, just curious what this may be worth in this dug uncleaned condition. I'm thinking that cleaning it would hurt what ever value it has already. Came out of an old park in SF area.

Thanks,

Jay_09SVDB.jpg

Thanks bsshog, my son happened to dig this one up, but your right it is quite a rare find in the detecting community.

Great find! And, I would send it to NCS. That's all you can hope for. It'll still be worth a bit of money, just not sure how much. A great filler coin for a key date, you can clearly see the date, the MM and the VDB. Awesome!

What a fantastic dig. That one must have been in the ground since 1909. The detail looks MS. I'd send it to NCS without a doubt. At least get it in some sort of "genuine" holder.

Don't do anything to that yourself. Send it to NCS and let them work some magic on it. It won't be a great coin, but from those pics, there are some really nice details that could go EF-45+. I think you're looking at roughly $750ish depending on detail grade, and how much NCS can take off. Damaged pieces on the S-VDB tend to sell for one grade below details prices in my experiences.

NICE FIND!

Glad to help. I found a 14-S that was corroded and experimented a bit on it. If you do want to do it yourself, use MS-70 or Blue Ribbon coin finisher. It won't take much off, but will bring out details. Best bet is NCS as they'll get a bunch of the junk off it.

james, that's an exceptionally low offer, even for this coin. I owned a PCGS "Genuine" Bent, Corroded, and Dammaged S-VDB that I paid $350 for and got $500 for. Details on that were all of G-06

Once in an NCS holder, expect to get around 450-500 (which is about as low as these go in almost any condition) if returned as corroded XF details.

If it's returned Enviro Damaged XF details, you should expect about 800-850 as a fair price...

I'd keep it for the story at any price...

SWNGC is about right on that pricing. I think you'll still manage about $550 or $600 corroded. But ED would net around $750 or $800 like I had said earlier.

A keeper regardless. I personally would never sell that coin. I mean, how much mileage can you get just holding onto that sucker and showing it off to all your coin nerd friends who don't have one. Totally sweet dude, I'm envious! Ok, I'm over it now cuz this coin nerd.... does have an 09SVDB!! Although, mine has ED as well. :(

A keeper regardless. I personally would never sell that coin. I mean, how much mileage can you get just holding onto that sucker and showing it off to all your coin nerd friends who don't have one. Totally sweet dude, I'm envious! Ok, I'm over it now cuz this coin nerd.... does have an 09SVDB!! Although, mine has ED as well. :(

I would not sell it either, finding a coin like that in the ground is unreal!!

I have a couple of Bust Halves that were dug up in a neighbor’s back yard when I was a kid, they were in decent shape for being in the ground. No way would I consider selling them .