• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Any IHC Experts out there?

11 posts in this topic

While photographing some Toneddollars' IHC, I noticed a little curved line coming from the bottom of the 9 in 1901. Do any experts know what the cause is?

DateCloseUp_001.jpg

DateCloseUp_002.jpg

DateCloseUp_003.jpg

DateCloseUp_004.jpg

DateCloseUp_005.jpg

The only reason these eyes caught it was because I was looking at a 2300x2300 image. lol Thanks for the information. (thumbs u

While photographing some Toneddollars' IHC, I noticed a little curved line coming from the bottom of the 9 in 1901. Do any experts know what the cause is?

Check it out In The Flying Eagle and Indian Cent Attribution Guide, Volume 6 (1900-1909) by Richard Snow (866) 323-2646. Or www.INDIANCENT.com

He operates Eagle Eye Rare Coins. Inc. P.O. Box 65645, Tucson, AZ 85728

One of Rick's older books shows a 1901 proof with repunching at the base of the 9 and 0 that looks just like this coin. Any chance it's a proof?

Cool find. My camera is always finding things I never noticed.

One of Rick's older books shows a 1901 proof with repunching at the base of the 9 and 0 that looks just like this coin. Any chance it's a proof?

Cool find. My camera is always finding things I never noticed.

I should have mentioned that it was a proof.

This question was also posed on the PCGS site. Member Pushkin came up with this reply and was reaffirmed with Rick Snow's endorsement,

"Looks like a 1901 PR1 ( 90/90 ). According to Snow the same proof die was used later on some business strikes - 1901 S13. It is a repunched date.

There should be a less distinct tale on the "0", which appears to show up in your photo.

See the photos in Snow's The Flying Eagle& Indian Cent Attribution Guide, 2nd Edition, Volume 6 1900 - 1909".

I didn't see the tail on the "0", but under more magnification than I was using it could very well be there.

Good call Larry! (thumbs u Good call also to the others that mentioned a repunched date and thank you for all the replies. This is how we learn.

Wow I'm getting slow.

By now I should have learned to look at the date the thread started.

So Pushkin only beat me to the answer by two weeks? :grin:

He really knows this stuff.

Really nice coin Bob. Would love to see the full image sometime.

Here is the full coin. The second obverse pic shows the tail on the 9 and 0. As for scarcity, I don't know, but based on the limited number of proofs made (1985) I should think they would be fairly scarce.

1901IHCobv_003.jpg

1901IHCrev_013.jpg

1901IHCobv_019.jpg