• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Post your "WHAT A SHAME" coins hear

31 posts in this topic

Hi all .. I cannot remember seeing a post about your "what a shame" coins before

so please post your Holed, Squashed, or generally abused coins hear .. Go on you know you all have one in your collection

And to start it of is this little lot

6676_1.jpg

Isn't it strange where some of the coins are holed .. as they would not even hang nicely if it was for a necklace .. could it be out of pure badness

Also could you imagine how much this little lot would be worth if they were undamage (shrug) makes you cry :cry:

dooly :devil:

Isn't it strange where some of the coins are holed .. as they would not even hang nicely if it was for a necklace .. could it be out of pure badness

That's what I was thinking about some of them. Plus, if they really were used as necklaces, one would expect more wear, dirt and grunginess. hm

That's what I was thinking about some of them. Plus, if they really were used as necklaces, one would expect more wear, dirt and grunginess. hm

That’s absolutely true. I had a Norse American bezelled and I wear it daily. The obverse is now dark and crusty while the reverse has remained white.

I have a 1959 half that's cameo... real gorgeous coin...... but, when I was cracking it out of it's slab... before I got good at that... I scratched it with a screwdriver!! Yea... laugh it up funny boys... I felt like crying! :cry:

I'll see if I can find it and get some pictures posted.

I have more than I would like to admit, from my uneducated past. If I looked hard enough, I could probably find more. But that's enough bad reminders for me. :)

1853d1Gobv312-3.jpg

1853d1Grev311-3.jpg

18475obv314-1.jpg

18475rev315-1.jpg

15lincO535-2.jpg

15lincR536-2.jpg

1879ccaudetO.jpg

1879ccaudetR.jpg

1889ccxfdetO.jpg

1889ccxfdetR.jpg

I have a 1959 half that's cameo... real gorgeous coin...... but, when I was cracking it out of it's slab... before I got good at that... I scratched it with a screwdriver!! Yea... laugh it up funny boys... I felt like crying! :cry:

I'll see if I can find it and get some pictures posted.

:banana:(worship) ahhahahahahhahahahahahahahaha

Apparently someone suggested a new cog sort of thing.. A TOOL i reckon, for opening something.. or manipulating something.. it was needed when working out bush

Enterprising, I'll give it that. I bet it worked too.

Here's the biggest "what a shame" I've ever held. It's an 1848 CAL quarter eagle. The obverse was carved as a love token. Why you make a love token with such an ugly hole is beyond me.

1848CAL.jpg

Picture001-14-1.jpg

What the heck were they doing to this one ?

One can only speculate on this one Dooly, personally i think it was the beginning of a spur for a pair of boots. I can remember when and where i found it like it was yesterday. Over Fifty years ago. (shrug)

Picture001-14-1.jpg

One can only speculate on this one Dooly, personally i think it was the beginning of a spur for a pair of boots. I can remember when and where i found it like it was yesterday. Over Fifty years ago. (shrug)

I would agree with ya on that Irvin. Looks like a good start to a pair!

Looks like a spark plug spacer to me.

So, let's hear the story behind the find or did I miss it already? :popcorn:

Looks like a spark plug spacer to me.

So, let's hear the story behind the find or did I miss it already? :popcorn:

Circa 1958 following a recent hurricane which uprooted several large trees on the school playground. Lunch recess provided time to rid ones self of hyper activeness.

You know racing against classmates from here to there and back. A certain large

catalpa tree had blown down near the boundary of school yard. The stump was quite large but had been left next to fence boundary. This was, we will say home base. ;)

As i ran to the stump and started my return trip I noticed what looked like a coin laying in the roots. I can remember thinking this thing is heavy and a bigger coin than anything i had seen at the time. I have always considered this as my "Lucky Coin", and the coin that started this great hobby for me. :cloud9:

Picture001-14-1.jpg

I've seen ones like that, I think they were trying to make it into a spur!

Here's a shame coin I picked up today from the half off bin:

1877x1dobv.JPG

1877x1drev.JPG

dooly

There were people who used to file the coins rims to remove a small amount of metal usually gold and then sell the filings as scrap. Usually no one would notice the rims on a well circulated coin

This coin, however, looks like they went toooo far with a rat tail file no less. Not sure they could have exchanged it for a bill though. Looks a bit light wouldn't you say? :makepoint: