• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How about a grade on this Morgan....

15 posts in this topic

Hard to get a good gauge from the dark photo, but it looks like a hammered PL or even DMPL. Barring any blemishes that are hidden it looks worthy of at least a 66, maybe even 67.

The photo is a little hard to try to get accurate with as Bob stated. Looks like a little spotting here and the with some minor nics here and there also. Can't tell on the PL as the Obv looks like it loses some cameo on Liberty. I'll have to guess 65.

I would give this coin at least MS 66 , the surfaces of this coin are fantastic.

Hard to really tell from the photo but as others have said it does look like it could be PL.

However since this was graded 20 years ago it probably only received MS 65 .

Great looking coin.

Anacs graded it 64/67, and I picked it up for $65 on the bay. Pretty good deal I think.

If I'd known it was that nice I would have bid higher! !:-)

64/67 means nothing today to the TPGs...The old saying still goes,,While the reverse will lower a grade it won't raise it... If the obverse is 64 which I believe it is from the mark on the jawline then it won't grade higher than a 64..

I would have given it a "sure thing" MS-65 with a shot at MS-66, but I see a mark just in back of Ms. Liberty's chin. If there really is a marke there, it is an MS-64.

Here is a word of caution for those of you who are doing handstands over this coin. It is an 1881-S Morgan dollar. These coins were well made, and many, many of them are known in Mint State. This date can still be found in roll quantities. If this were another date, you could get excited over it, but this is not outstanding for an 1881-S.

I know is great to encourage new collectors and tell them they have great stuff. BUT after a while a true collector needs to get grounded. The “S mint” 1879, 1880, 1881 and 1882 dollars all come nice to varying degrees, and you need to be aware of that when you see one that looks great. In this case, it might only be average or a little below average.