• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

First Post on the Boards...

13 posts in this topic

Lots of really great posts and replies on the boards here...so I thought I would jump in and join the action.

Take a look and give me your opinions...(please bear in mind that I am not a photographer.)

1883-S.jpg

A big welcome to the boards. You've certainly come to the right place for show and tell and plenty of valuable information from the many experts that reside and visit here.

The 1883-S Morgan is a very nice date to show on your first post. It looks to have a nice strong strike, which is a definite plus. However, it also exhibits a few strong dings which will limit how high it would grade, most noticeably on the eyebrow and under the eye. It those had been on the reverse, the grade damage may have been less. It's hard to tell what all the white flecks are on both sides, could be dings or hits which also bring the grade down. If those lines in the field above the Eagle's head are hairlines, that could indicate a prior cleaning which would more than likely prevent the coin from being graded, other than a Genuine designation.

You might post this on the US Coin forum to get more opinions from the real experts.

:insane: Hi from the Daft Englishman and welcome to the board .. There all great people .. so enjoy

as for the coin sorry i know nothing about this type .. in-fact i know less and less every day lol

Welcome to the boards there Petre! I agre with Bob also. this has some strange lines going on that can't tell if it's cleaning or not with these pics. the speckles bother me also. Maybe you could try a couple more pics at some different angles.

Actually this is the right forum :)

Looks like a few things going on with this coin ... Looks like a cleaned coin but also some environmental damage on the reverse between the star and the "o" on ONE. Looks like pit/pitting there.

However being a lower mintage highly sought after coin - It is still a very nice specimen of the year and Mint.

It probably will not grade.

Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for the warm "Welcome" to the Boards...

...and thanks for the comments on the Morgan. You all have pretty much confirmed my suspicions regarding this coin. Received it from my father many years ago. Will hang on to it "as is."

Thanks again, and I look forward to continuing discussions on the Boards.

PetreMeriman

I got in late on your post, but may I also add my WELCOME to the board. I am all of a 1 1/2 year "veteran" around here (still a newcomer by New England standards)

but I can't begin to tell you how much I have learned from these guys. When I can, I try to help out a little bit too but you couldn't have found a better spot to learn and get hooked on the hobby!! Hope to "see you" here often.

RI AL