• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ready for some math?

21 posts in this topic

So... here's the question:

If you stuck 10 one ounce coins into a measuring cup, how many ounces of water would you displace?

Take a guess... and if you happen to have 10 one ounce coins laying around... or a 10 oz bar, give it a shot. I worked the math previously, and was a bit skeptical of the numbers.... so.....

What did you come up with?

1 ounce of water?

I got about 29.6 cubic centimeters for 10 ounces of silver, and that equals about 1 ounce of water.

That's not as much as I would have expected.

Let see, I am going to use the American Silver Eagles

Weight 31.103 grams

So...

10 x 31.103 grams = 311.03 grams

1gram = 0.034 water ounces

So....

311.03grams x 0.034 = 10.575 ounces

My answer is zero, since you didn't state that the cup had any water in it. As asked, your question couldn't have any other (correct) answer. ;)

I was thinking that same thing Mark. Also, would this be a liquid or dry measuring cup? lol

Metal Density

950 Platinum 20.1

Gold 19.3

Silver 10.5

Platinum 21.4

Palladium 12.0

Lead 11.34

Copper 9.0

9ct gold 10.9 to 12.7

14ct gold 12.9 to 14.6

18ct Yellow 15.2 to 15.9

18ct White 14.7 to 16.9

22ct gold 17.7 to 17.8

Sterling Silver 10.2 to 10.3

I need to know what metal the 1 oz. coins are made of.

silver is 10.49 g/cm^3. A one ounce coin is 31.1 gram coin of basically pure silver. so that's 2.965 cm^3 per coin or about 29.65 cm^3 of metal for 10 coins. Water has a density of roughly 1 g/cm^3 (assuming it's relatively pure) and so that means you'll displace about 29.65 grams of water.

Sorry to break it to you, but silver is much heaver than water.

Let see, I am going to use the American Silver Eagles

Weight 31.103 grams

So...

10 x 31.103 grams = 311.03 grams

1gram = 0.034 water ounces

So....

311.03grams x 0.034 = 10.575 ounces

I think you're assuming that the silver will displace an equivalent mass of water. Silver will sink in the water, not float on it, so the that assumption for the bouyant force doesn't apply. It's volume that matters here. The same will hold for any other metal that has a higher density than water.

PS... I hate most of you starting with Mark!

Let's say the measuring cup has 6 ounces of water to start and you will be using 10 oz of silver... of course if you have 10 oz of gold or platinum just laying around... knock your socks off! :)

It's interesting that the mass of metal content is measured in ounces for weight, but the volume of water is also measured in ounces.

One thing you didn't mention - is the experiment taking place under ordinary gravitational conditions, and at what temperature?

Do this experiment at 72 degrees Kelvin and your results could very different lol !

James... if you can alter your gravitational conditions and temperature enough to affect this experiment... then I'd be very impresses... and no you can't go to your local college and use their lab! Or .... maybe we should! :)

Do this experiment at 72 degrees Kelvin and your results could very different lol !

True. It would displace no water at that temperature. It would just rest on top of the ice.

Did I read right...in a related topic, that 16 ounces of gold does not make a pound? Never could quite figure that one out.

12 ounces of gold makes a pound. Metals are measured in troy ounces and troy pounds.

Did I read right...in a related topic, that 16 ounces of gold does not make a pound? Never could quite figure that one out.

12 ounces of gold makes a pound. Metals are measured in troy ounces and troy pounds.

Don't worry, Al, confused me for a while too. Like Zach says, gold and silver are measured in Troy ounces, your cereal is measured in avoirdupois ounces. Link to Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troy_weight

What I get is if you put 10 silver eagle in a standard 8 fl oz measuring cup you could than add roughly 6.99 oz of water to reach the 8 oz line.

on the 16 oz of gold, if they are troy oz then you have 1 1/3 pounds of gold, if they are standard oz then you have 1.22 pounds of gold. So either way 16 oz of gold does not make a pound of gold, it makes more than a pound.

I think you would have to calculate the mass (volume) of the coins in order to determine how much water would be displaced...........

but, here is one that will blow your mind:

When I tended bar in Ocean City, MD, we had a customer who could take a 1-1/2 oz. shotglass filled to the rim with water and put 50 Lincoln cents in the shotglass without spilling a single drop of water. There is no gimmick or trick. I saw him do it!

Chris

my answer is ZERO put the water in the cup put the 10 eagles in and they just sat there.Now I'm going to wait for warmer weather and try again when the ICE melts in a few month.