• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Searching for silver

9 posts in this topic

Today I went to my bank for $200 worth of half dollars to search through for silver or any coins that might have a slight premium. My bank didn't have any half dollars, so I called the local banks and found 1 that would sell me the $200 in halves, even though I am not a member.

Well, it isn't like the good ole' days where silver jumped out at you, but I did find 3 40%ers, 65, 68, 66. Nothing else of any significance.

I was also hunting for any halves that might carry a small premium like 1970D, 2005, 2006, 2007 . (I used "Coin Prices" to pick out the ones that might have a small premium, though the prices were for MS 60) .

I did find 3 1974d but none were DD's. 1974 P were the most common of the 400 coins searched. Not being a Kennedy collector, it was interesting to see the variations in the size of Kennedy's bust on different years. I didn't realize that there was such an obvious difference.

So now I roll them back up and return them to my bank, except for the 3 40% pieces.

RI AL

In December My bank teller dropped a 1963 Washington Quarter in my hand with the change from my cashed check. She had no idea why I was so delighted.

Kids today.

I can never get rolls around here, but I always look at the tellers' coin trays to see if I spot any silver, and last summer I got 7 40% silver halves! And the other teller even remarked, that sounds like silver!

Now I'm jealous! I'm going to have to go hit all the banks in town for 1/2 dollar, quarter and dime rolls. A lot of work for not much return, but the fun is in the searchinfg.

Now I'm jealous! I'm going to have to go hit all the banks in town for 1/2 dollar, quarter and dime rolls. A lot of work for not much return, but the fun is in the searchinfg.

My 1963 drop into my hand with a sweet clink. I cannot remember the last silver I found. But, the really funny part was the young bank teller who had no idea. Even when I showed her the coin and the sound it makes she simply look stupified. Like, "what the heck are you talking about"?

It was a good ole lucky day