• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I now own an AT(?) coin that has turned in the PCGS holder - in about 2 years

15 posts in this topic

Before and after images below. The lighting angles are vastly different, but the coin has lost practically all its color now. It is now just rusty and silvery looking. I paid PF-65 money for this PF-64 coin a couple of years ago - a hefty premium even today, since the value hasn't advanced significantly in either grade. My loss - should have known better.

f189649old.jpg

f189649.jpg

It's still a nice coin !

I may be out of turn, but if you no-longer like the toning would it be better to have it conserved and let it re-tone over time ? (shrug)

dooly

No offense intended James, but I honestly don't like the coin in the before pictures either. The after pictures make it look like a hazy proof, something that should be sent to NCS before slabbing.

On the plus side, it does have a nice strike :thumbsup:

I kind of like the second coin as well . It just seems to me to be easier to see all the details without the toning getting in the way :-)

Cheers

Hence the term, “Strike while the iron is hot”

I think part of James statement is not only directed at whether or not you like this coin as it was previously vs. how you think it is now, I think part of his thoughts are “Why or what caused this proof Liberty Nickel to turn so fast, only 2 years, in a top-of-the-line holder?"

Am I correct?

To be truthful, the coin looks to have the same toning but different coloring. Does that make sense? It looks as tho' the lighting has changed from both sets of pics. I see the same outline in each of the toning differences on both before and after pics only it looks as tho' the lighting used is possibly at a different angle than the original picture causing the toning to look different. The bottom pics look to be a more original look that the coin might have. the top pics look almost like a drawing of the coin. JMO

Hence the term, “Strike while the iron is hot”

I think part of James statement is not only directed at whether or not you like this coin as it was previously vs. how you think it is now, I think part of his thoughts are “Why or what caused this proof Liberty Nickel to turn so fast, only 2 years, in a top-of-the-line holder?"

Am I correct?

Yes!

Boy that really is dramatic......

I wonder how that can happen ? I've always thought that color was somewhat permanent.

Perhaps, able to 'grow' in depth, but permanent......

Paul

I don't see how anyone can determine much of anything regarding how the coin might have changed, based on such different types of images.

Mark, I wish I had not angled the original image as I did, as it was to intended capture rainbow color. And it did!

The current image reflects my best effort to capture all the rainbow color "remaining" on the coin... but there no longer is any. It has literally faded away.

I don't see how anyone can determine much of anything regarding how the coin might have changed, based on such different types of images.

Thank you Mark!

James...I agree with the pictures but you really know what it looked like when you

bought the coin. This is one reason I never pay more money for toned coins. I am

always on the look out for AT coins but it is hard to tell sometimes.

What do you plan to do with it?