• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A Pretty Toned Buffalo

18 posts in this topic

Not a particularly high-grade coin, but the pastel rainbow colors are unusually rich and original. Spectacular, Ron!

Thou art speaking in the vernacular of a catalogist me thinketh, Sir James. :grin: But you are spot on! (thumbs u

That is a yummy coin but the photos are too big for one mouth full. I shrunk em down a bit so I can see the whole coin at one shot. Beautiful! (worship)

05c_1925DoTM.jpg

I like that pic better there Paul. Still like the colors also!!

Yeah it is the exact same pic just smaller so we can see the obv/rev at the same time.

That is a yummy coin but the photos are too big for one mouth full. I shrunk em down a bit so I can see the whole coin at one shot. Beautiful! (worship)

05c_1925DoTM.jpg

That's a beauty Ron.36_1_11.gif

Do you suppose the worn look could also be caused by either an eroding die or a weak strike?

Yes! It is an uncirculated coin that is poorly struck.

"In problem-free, well struck condition this is one of the most difficult dates in the series. poor strikes are so extreme that even low grade coins are affected, these being difficult to grade and value. In VF-AU it is a challenging coin to locate. Mediocre mint state coins are not rare, BUT truly choice and gem pieces are very elusive"

OH! and buy the way I think its a belting coin

Colors on the coin are great!

I'm going to go with extreme late die stage as exhibited by the texture under the eye and the cuds around the rims.

Thanks for the nice comments - it is indeed struck from worn dies. I showed it to Ed Rodriguiz at Long Beach and he commented that it is accurateley graded as MS64*, and quite nice for a 25-D. The image is professionally photographed by Tom Mulvaney, and the colors are indeed bright as shown - the colors really "pop" when rotated in the light.

As many of you know, I like nicely toned coins, and this one meets that criteria.

Ron