• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Final papers filed in 1933 $20 court fight

9 posts in this topic

Well, unless the government commits the terrible crime of melting them, the 1933 is no longer a pop 1 rarity, even if the government does own 10 of them...

yep! so why the big battle? is it the intentions of the gov to melt them to keep it that way? split the coins and be done with it :P

I don't think the gov't would dare melt them at this point. They're far far more valuable as they are now. Apparently they've been pulling them out and displaying them during coin shows and events. I think the US Mint just wants control of the coins for publicity purposes. 1 or 2 of them might go to the Smithsonian.

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

1 or 2 of them might go to the Smithsonian.

The Smithsonian already has two examples that were transferred to it by the Treasury Department in 1934. These were formerly on display as a pair, but they may now be in storage. I haven't been to the National Museum of American History recently.

This sure is an interesting one......

It is, however, hard to believe, that 10 of these could have been leagally released and kept a secret all this time. They smell illegal, to me, anyway....

Paul

I've seen both Smithsonian examples in the display before it was dismantled, though I think at least one of them was in the legendary coin exhibit, though that two may have been dismantled since it's been almost 2 years since I was there.