• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My first edge view

16 posts in this topic

I have been thinking about sending in a few unattributed NGC bust halves for attribution but more importantly to house them in the Edge View holders. But I had heard some speak negatively about them. Well, procrastination got the better of me so I decided that first I shall snag one, then go from there. Well, here is that one. This is a scarce Large 8 1828 Square 2 variety, O-108. There are only two Large 8 varieties and I almost never see them in decent condition (not cleaned and XF or better). I figured that I may as well make my first on something hard to get. I must confess that I really like the design. The coin almost appears to float and enough of the edge is visible to enjoy. I think that I will need to follow this up with getting an XXX and an III edge 1809 coin or two... :grin:

Anyway, this is an excellent coin IMO

100_1890.jpg

100_1891.jpg

The design works well on large coins, half dollar size, and up. My bust halves look pretty nice in it. However, as with my large size Capped Bust quarters (the object of my recent post), NGC doesn't alwasy have an edgeview insert specifically taylored to the coin being slabbed, and if you add this to the problem of the prongs covering the deign, you have a terrible design with multiple flaws.

For those following my Bust quarter post, I have not gotten a response from NGC.

terrible pronged holder as the top two prongs go over the dentials and into the coin field

better to put a clear gasket around the coin then encapsulate

I do not agree. the gasket (PCGS holder i assume) does not allow you to see any of the edge. Yeah, some of the dentils get covered, but not enough to override the fact that you can look at a good portion of the edge.

I don't really see much of a problem with the holder. I think the only improvement that might be done would be a clear insert instead of the traditional white. There's not much designs that I can think of to be able to view the edges and still support the coin at the same time.

Very nice CBH Btw there dave!

I don't think the prongs are touching the surface. Yes they obscure, but it looks good regardless and as they say, the light gets in

I'll probably have my first edgeview soon. Will let you know how I feel then !!

........nice coin and just the coin for edge-view holders. is the new holders used for everything or just coins with edge lettering? :popcorn:

I think it needs to be requested, and can be used on any coin.

Thanks for the comments guys. I did not know what to expect, but it does need to be seen in hand. The NCS holders are the clearer plastic so I wonder about them. hm NCS has edge view as well.

These holders do need to be seen in hand to really get the feel for it, that is for sure.

The edgeview is being made the standard holder for all submissions, not on an optional basis. Right now it is being slowly phaised in, which is the reason for some coins recieving it, and some not.

I still think it should be a choice. I do not like the edgeview design, especially for smaller coins. Also, being a coin photographer, they are horrible to photograph.

MM

I still think it should be a choice. I do not like the edgeview design, especially for smaller coins. Also, being a coin photographer, they are horrible to photograph.

MM

Actually, the coin is easier to photograph in the edge view than the regular holder. But its not perfect. Perfect only comes when you crack it. ;)

Many here on the CS Board do not care for the new NGC slabs. I only have larger coins in them and I agree they do look good for larger coins. The smaller coins such as CBHD, CBD and etc. I still would prefer the old style. Here is a 1/2c I recently had purchased in the new Edgeview Design.

1810-b-1.jpg

1810-b-2.jpg