• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Holy Doubled Bell Lines, Batman!

27 posts in this topic

Over the past few days, I have been pulling all my Franklin's out and closely examining them for double dies, RPMs, and whatever else I can find. I also just like to look at them every once in a while. Well, I got to my 1951 (graded by NGC as MS-64 FBL), and boy was I surprised! I have no idea how I missed this one when I first got it!

As clear as day, and plainly visible to the naked eye, is a very strong DDR. The entire bottom of the bell and the eagle are affected. What is even cooler is that the bell lines also show signs of doubling! It is much fainter on the bell lines, and I'm sure its only visible because it is a strong strike, but to me this is so cool! This one is classified as DDR-003 in the CONECA files, and is listed as a Class VIII double die. I took the best pictures I can, and you can very clearly see the doubling on the bell. My pictures of the eagle didn't turn out quite so well.

Class VIII doubling, according to my Flynn and Wexler book "Treasure Hunting Franklin and Kennedy Half Dollar Doubled Dies" is described as "Tilted Hub Doubling" and can occur when

- the bottom of the die is not cut parallel

- a foreign object, such as a scrap of metal, is caught below the die in teh hubbing press

- the hub is tilted

- the hubbing press is bent or loose

This class of doubling is rarely found, but it is strongest at the first point of contact of the hub and die. It decreases in strength from there.

So, enjoy!

72615.jpg.d24d9c1c7fe29d1d1cdcf9397afff4ef.jpg

72616.jpg.93f992fdf429be3744cee645660dda3b.jpg

72617.jpg.10d276f868859ba67357205b13fc75d8.jpg

Really neat coin there Chris.

:baiting: I'm actually Jason, but thanks anyways :lol:

ROFL... funny thing is... I know that!!

For some reason once I read that I thought 9ball had written that... but I know darn well you are the one into FBL Frankys... cool coin nonetheless... man, what a bonehead! :D

Update: I emailed these pics to James Wiles, and he said that at the very least this is a different stage than he has listed, but it could very well be an entirely new DDR! I am sending the coin off to him to examine, and will keep you all informed.

Yeah, I got the coin on ebay, from greatsoutherncoin I believe. I've always been very happy with them, and they've had a number of hard to find Franklins over the past few months. I got this one in October ( My 1951 registry entry )

I don't see any reason to resend it to NGC - the only varieties they put on the label are Cherrypickers. If it turns out to be the discovery piece for a new variety, they might label it as such, I've seen a few like that, but usually only for popular or significant varieties (such as the Wisconsin hi and low leaf). Something on the Franklin probably does not qualify.

UPDATE: I just got the coin back with James Wiles' assessment:

ITS A NEW DISCOVERY!!!!!

He has it listed as DDR-005, 5-R-VIII, stage C, LDS

And I'm the discoverer! Hoo boy, you have no idea how happy I am right now. I'm having a mighty fine coin week between this and yesterday's purchase.

Physics have you ever sent those GSC coins in to a TPG for grading ??

They sell a lot of cleaned coins and they over grade almost all of their raw coins.

If they say BU chances are you will get an AU slider. Their feedback is not as bad as it should be because many who purchase from them get an ok coin, however they do not realize that it is over graded or cleaned until they bring it into a dealer or send it in for submission.

Physics have you ever sent those GSC coins in to a TPG for grading ??

They sell a lot of cleaned coins and they over grade almost all of their raw coins.

If they say BU chances are you will get an AU slider. Their feedback is not as bad as it should be because many who purchase from them get an ok coin, however they do not realize that it is over graded or cleaned until they bring it into a dealer or send it in for submission.

I have never bought raw from them, I've only bought NGC slabbed FBL Franklins. I've been very happy with the dealings I've had with greatsoutherncoin.

Great discovery Jason. I don't think I would have been able to see them with my naked eyes. :/

Well, you'll get to find out when I send you my next shipment of coins to photograph ;) Not any time soon, but eventually.

I did buy some raw coins from them last year. All were grossly over graded , one coin was wire brush cleaned. I had just started to collect again after a 20 year break so I did not realize the pitfalls of buying raw on EBAY. They doctor up the photos of their raw coins , the pictures look much better then the coins do in hand. They gave me a no questions asked return on the 2 coins I wanted to return so I did not leave negative feedback but did mention the over grading. In hindsight I should have left a neutral. I kept two gold coins and had them slabbed by ANACS , I then put them up for sale on EBAY .