• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do signed slabs pose a risk to the coins inside them?

14 posts in this topic

A previous post I just made got me thinking. Does anyone know if all these slabs on the market that feature signed inserts are bad for the coins which are slabbed with them? I can't help but wonder 893scratchchin-thumb.gif. If they're using like Sharpys or something I'd be concerned, as ink that smells that strong must emit some sort of gas(es). Wouldn't it? Perhaps Tom knows. We need a chemist on this one.

Also, does anyone even buy these? I think when you purchase these you are truly paying for a premium for something alltogether NOT related to the coin whatsoever 893naughty-thumb.gif. In essence, you end up buying the item for the type and design of slab. Just wondering what you guys think as I've always grouped these coins with colorized ASEs and state quarters. 893whatthe.gif

From what I have heard, the inserts are sent to the person signing them. They sign full pages of them and ship them back. I'm sure the smell would go away over that amount of time.

Even if it were to hurt the coins, the good news is that they really only use signed inserts for [!@#%^&^] coins - state quarters, sacagaweas, buffalo dollars, etc.

As for anyone buying them, not many people. I've seen the signed state quarters in dealer bargain bins for $6-$8 each. I'd like to call them a passing fad, but I don't think they actually ever had their time in the spotlight to be called a fad. More like a bad idea that just won't go away.

These signed slabs don't do much for me. In the early 1980s, the designer of the Bay Bridge commemorative half dollar signed a bunch of cards and had them mounted with an example of the coin in a plastic case. It was kind of interesting, but I would have paid no more than a $20 premium for it. The going rate seemed to be about the double the amount for a "normal" coin. Needless to say I passed.

I'd consider paying a premium for REAL presidential signatures because I collect campaign items and have been interested in presidential history for many years, but coin designers don't do very much for me.

Actually, I have a side-line hobby of collecting designer signatures. An extremely reasonable deal was the five 2001 proof state quarters slabbed by ICG for only $50. I think that that price was very reasonable.

A year ago last October, I purchased the three bicentennial coins signed by their designers and slabbed by PCGS. They were/are sold by R&I Coins. I thought at the time or purchase (over a year ago) that they would be a hot item. How wrong I was. With a cap of 500, they still have not sold out in over a year's time. However, I don't regret the purchase.

I just noticed an ad in Dec. 8th's edition of Coin World that Elizabeth Jones, designer of the '82 Washington half, '86 SOL and '88 Olympic $5 gold commems, signed 250 ICG slabs for each proof and ms issues. There is a high premium attached to these coins, but as a collector, I'll pay it. It might be a losing proposition but a collector collects what appeals to him.

I also have the white house commem signed by the senior President Bush. I have heard that President Ford signed something of the sort, too. Does anyone have any additional info about the Ford signature?

Greg mentioned that he can find signed slabs in bargain bins. Are these the 2001 state quarters or are there others out there?

Any input about additional designer signatures would be appreciated.

p.s. I saw the Feliz Schlag sig. and nickels on e-bay already which someone recently posted. And BillJones' post was informative about the Bay Bridge commem. Anyone seen 'em for sale, lately?

These signed slabs don't do much for me. In the early 1980s, the designer of the Bay Bridge commemorative half dollar signed a bunch of cards and had them mounted with an example of the coin in a plastic case. It was kind of interesting, but I would have paid no more than a $20 premium for it. The going rate seemed to be about the double the amount for a "normal" coin. Needless to say I passed.

I'd consider paying a premium for REAL presidential signatures because I collect campaign items and have been interested in presidential history for many years, but coin designers don't do very much for me.

I thought it was MUCH earlier that these were done? Anyway, these sell for all over the place. In the last year I have seen them sell for about $160 - $600 without regard to the quality of the coin inside.

I've got one. It's kind of neat. I don't think I paid a major premium for it.

A year ago last October, I purchased the three bicentennial coins signed by their designers and slabbed by PCGS. They were/are sold by R&I Coins. I thought at the time or purchase (over a year ago) that they would be a hot item. How wrong I was. With a cap of 500, they still have not sold out in over a year's time. However, I don't regret the purchase.

Aren't these the ones that Les Fox was selling. I thought he was offering 10,000 sets of these on eBay all in one giant lot.

I just noticed an ad in Dec. 8th's edition of Coin World that Elizabeth Jones, designer of the '82 Washington half, '86 SOL and '88 Olympic $5 gold commems, signed 250 ICG slabs for each proof and ms issues. There is a high premium attached to these coins, but as a collector, I'll pay it. It might be a losing proposition but a collector collects what appeals to him.

Better to buy them in the after market. There really is VERY little demand for them.

I also have the white house commem signed by the senior President Bush. I have heard that President Ford signed something of the sort, too. Does anyone have any additional info about the Ford signature?

I think Ford signed the bicentennial coins.

Greg mentioned that he can find signed slabs in bargain bins. Are these the 2001 state quarters or are there others out there?

I saw several earlier state quarters. I believe they were mainly 2000 with some 1999 mixed in. Also saw some Buffalo dollars priced below the non-signed ones. 27_laughing.gif

re: Aren't these the ones that Les Fox was selling. I thought he was offering 10,000 sets of these on eBay all in one giant lot.

Nope, R&I sells them. They frequently have full-page ads on the back cover of many numismatic publications.

Thanks for the additional info, Greg. thumbsup2.gif

RE: Also saw some Buffalo dollars priced below the non-signed ones.

How ironic! 893scratchchin-thumb.gif But they are probably the ones signed by Jay Johnson. They hold no appeal for me.

In general, it appears that the Buffalo dollar commems have fallen by about fifty bucks over the last year.

I've also seen the Bay Bridge signed holder and it is about the size of a paperback novel, with the coin in the middle of the cardboard. There have been two for sale at the Parsippany show that I do within the last two years and I think both were in the $160-$250 range.

I've also seen the Bay Bridge signed holder and it is about the size of a paperback novel, with the coin in the middle of the cardboard. There have been two for sale at the Parsippany show that I do within the last two years and I think both were in the $160-$250 range.

Thanks for the info, Tom.

Does anyone have any additional info about the Ford signature?

President Ford signed 500 inserts for 1986-W $50 Gold American Eagle coins graded PR69DCAM by PCGS. They're marketed by Les Fox. Here's the web site. They show up occasionally on eBay (also sold by Fox who lists them under the name folkartnut) and sell for less than the $1500 asked on the web site.

Beijim

Greg:

I thought I read somewhere that Mr. Schnier died relatively soon after he started his signing endeavor and hence did not sign all 1,000. (If this recollection is correct, I guess he was more or less signing them to order?) Anyway, do you, or anyone, else recall whether this is correct or not?

Thanks in advance.

Mark