• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Your opinion on this 1998 American Eagle

16 posts in this topic

I found this coin the other day. It was actually given to me in change at the local Walmart! I was due $1.51 in change, the clerk gave me this. She said it was a 50 cent piece. I took it and never got the dollar and penny she held in her hand. I must have looked like I won the Publishers Clearing House Sweepstakes. :banana: I know it is not a real valuable coin. But it certainly is worth more than the 1.51 that I was due in change. But here is my question. It is in fine form, the coin would grade high I think. But what effect does the toning and the spots have on the grading scale? Would it be worth having it graded at all? Would restoration be an expensive ordeal?

I am a lurker, but I do learn a lot from you all. Your opinion matters.

Thanks for all input!

Glen

72258.jpg.38bb629b7703bc63b574014b9177f7aa.jpg

72259.jpg.fe609615e2a2e0c82fb72b47a1cb7d0f.jpg

Definitely very cool you got that in change!

It is not worth having conserved, and it won't grade very high at all. Having circulated, it is not worth any more than an ounce of silver. Toning affects grade as it affects eye appeal - good toning will help the grade, ugly toning will hurt it. Spots pretty much always lower the grade. Looks to me like someone might have sneezed on this one and then spent it.

Awesome coin to get back in change. Not really worth conserving tho'. If it were mine, I would actually dip the coin to try to clean her up a bit unless you like that toning. The rinse would probably take the toning out, maybe lighten up the milk spots and maybe lighten up the fingerprints. Nice change back tho'. (thumbs u

I'll bet that most cashiers, who are mostly young people, see a coin this size without knowing much about coins just presumes it's a half dollar.

That’s one hefty half dollar! I swear, the clerks at stores now days need a coin chart, just like the Home Depot clerks need a bold & nut identifier chart.

That’s one hefty half dollar! I swear, the clerks at stores now days need a coin chart, just like the Home Depot clerks need a bold & nut identifier chart.

That's funny. I am betting she has never seen one of these coins before. It's a modern coin. 1998 so it has to be a half dollar right? The dollar coins are the golden ones with indian girl on them right?

Walmart. You can't beat their prices or the fact that their cashiers don't know much about cash (or change for that matter). It definitely was a good find. I feel lucky that it happened to me. I appreciate all the comments from everyone. This has been fun.

As of right now the coin is worth 11.22. Put it up on ebay and you'll get at least 15.00 for it, possibly more. Nice find!! (thumbs u

I can't belive you recieved that coin, who would circulate an ASE? I'm guessing the purchaser only recieved 1$ in purchasing power because the face value is 1$. Nice coin in change!!

That's funny. I am betting she has never seen one of these coins before. It's a modern coin. 1998 so it has to be a half dollar right? The dollar coins are the golden ones with indian girl on them right?

Walmart. You can't beat their prices or the fact that their cashiers don't know much about cash (or change for that matter). It definitely was a good find. I feel lucky that it happened to me. I appreciate all the comments from everyone. This has been fun.

It is called an ASE or American Silver Eagle. It is considered 1 oz of silver bullion. It is not a proof. It is called a busniess strike. It is not a half dollar. It's face value is $1 but the actual value is the spot price of silver 10-11$ or whatever it is at the moment. To "dip" it is something you would have to have your local coin dealer explain, or it will look messed up. You could do a search on the word "dip" but I would put probably dip in pure acetone for 30 seconds, put aside in an envelope and start reading more about coins. It's more fun to buy coins after you have studied about them. The dollar coin your referring to is the Sacagawea minted from 2000- current with both proofs and business strikes or what are meant to be circulated (though they are mostly collected). Good luck

It is called an ASE or American Silver Eagle. It is considered 1 oz of silver bullion. It is not a proof. It is called a busniess strike. It is not a half dollar. It's face value is $1 but the actual value is the spot price of silver 10-11$ or whatever it is at the moment. To "dip" it is something you would have to have your local coin dealer explain, or it will look messed up. You could do a search on the word "dip" but I would put probably dip in pure acetone for 30 seconds, put aside in an envelope and start reading more about coins. It's more fun to buy coins after you have studied about them. The dollar coin your referring to is the Sacagawea minted from 2000- current with both proofs and business strikes or what are meant to be circulated (though they are mostly collected). Good luck

Hey Boss, I think thier comments were mostly out of jest on the cashiers knowledge of what she gave out as a half dollar.