• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My trip to the coin store today

18 posts in this topic

I went to the local B&M today to see if the guys there would be interested in any of the stuff that I have listed on the BST - stuff I have upgraded and such. They bought one of my Franklin's and my Bust half for fair prices, so I'm happy. But while I was there, I happened to see several interesting things. The first was a cancelled check from B. Max Mehl's coin store, not very valuable but interesting as a part of numismatic history. The second was a 1908 proof set graded by PCGS, very attractive. The quarter was a cameo, and the dime as almost cameo (would have had a * if it was NGC instead of PCGS). I didn't care for the nickle and the half had spots, but the cent was bright red and attractive. Since I couldn't go to FUN this year, seeing what these guys had brought back was as good as I could hope for.

But then I saw, down in teh corner of one of their cases, a 1986 Statue of Liberty Centennial 6 coin set in the cherrywood box, with all the original government packaging. I have wanted this set for a while. I have related before that my very first coin was the 1986 Statue of Liberty proof dollar, my grandpa gave it to me on my first birthday. I grew up looking at it and wondering about it, and that coin is what started me down the collecting path. So I have wanted to get the complete set for a while. Well, he gave me a price that I liked, and I bought it. I figure now is a good time, since gold has come down so much recently - that is really what makes this set expensive. This is really my first gold, because it is so expensive. I took a few quick pics, all of the coins look to be in very good shape, so I am happy.

72093.jpg.e10ea5fc71d2675fb011432e7f25bf94.jpg

72094.jpg.97fd54e5cb60f42ab00cec6b33d1a0f0.jpg

72095.jpg.719822c5d9de8ab24d21332a31481e00.jpg

72096.jpg.d324260b2536b55e77fdc1bc45efab79.jpg

72097.jpg.05ccb4ab33d1617c725e9c87b31fe3a0.jpg

I can remember the excitement when the mintage of 500,000 gold Statue of Liberty coins sold out. According to the trade mags, the first ones to hit the bourse floors were selling above $500.00. Being a greenhorn, I felt sure that the next year's Constitution commemorative would sell out as well, even though the mintage was doubled, and I would be able to make a fast buck. Did they sell out?- Nope! I kept the coins anyway, because I liked the eagle on the obverse.

BTW - nice pickup! (thumbs u

Congrats, Jason. Their is no better numismatic feeling than that of spotting a coin or coins that you have been looking for and been unable to find. I live for that feeling as it only comes every now and then.

Jim

Congrats Jason! I like these old 6-coin wood box sets, back about 8 years ago or so I bought the 6-coin sets of the Columbus, Mount Rushmore and Bill of Rights, don't think I paid more than $250 for each of them, and just like today, it was the gold that drove the value. Maybe someday I'll get the rest of the sets, all with original packaging of course!

Hi Jason

There is nothing like the feeling that you get when you finaly get a coin that you really want. I still go thru my coins that i got 40 years ago an look at them just like i did when i first got them. Still looking and collecting. I hope that you get alot of enjoyment out of them.

Ron

Awesome, Jason! As a modern commem collector, I love the set but I love the sentimentality of it for you above all! And the timing was about perfect for you! And not bad pics for a quickie!

Fun pickup Jason. :applause: I'm glad you got something that sings to you... it's always nice to have a personal interest in an item.