• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Reagan on the Dime?

45 posts in this topic

WASHINGTON (Dec. 5) - Conservative angry over an unflattering television movie about Ronald Reagan want to put his image on the dime in place of Democratic icon Franklin Delano Roosevelt. are just as determined to keep FDR's profile in coin purses.

AP

Conservatives angry over an unflattering TV movie portrayal of Ronald Reagan are taking aim at Democratic icon Franklin Roosevelt.

''If they want to find another way to honor Ronald Reagan, I'm happy to join with them, but leave the dime alone,'' said Rep. James McGovern, D-Mass.

Supporters of the ''Ronald Reagan Dime Act'' said Roosevelt and his government-expanding New Deal represented decades past, while Reagan's conservative, anti-communist administration ushered in society as it exists today.

Triggering the dispute is a TV movie that depicts a doddering Reagan dominated by his wife, Nancy. The movie is being aired by Showtime after CBS canceled its plans to show it last month in response to pressure by Reagan supporters.

''It's what precipitated me introducing the bill at that time and why it was a lot easier to get a lot of support,'' said Rep. Mark Souder, R-Ind.

Souder said he has collected 89 co-sponsors for his bill to mint a new dime featuring Reagan. Among them are more than a dozen House members from California, where the former president lives secluded and suffering from Alzheimer's disease in his Los Angeles home.

''I believe he represents conservative values as we would see them implemented through a president better than anybody else we've had in American history,'' Souder said. ''He, to conservatives, represents kind of the reverse of FDR, who is kind of the liberal icon. Ronald Reagan is the conservative icon.''

McGovern claims 80 co-sponsors on his opposing bill affirming Congress' support for keeping Roosevelt on the dime. The lone among them is New York Rep. John Sweeney, who represents the Hyde Park area that was Roosevelt's home.

Reagan has ''already been honored in many ways - he's got an airport named after him, and a building, and there are schools and roads and bridges and other things,'' McGovern said.

''While it's important to honor President Reagan, I think it's also important that we do so in a way that doesn't dishonor the memory and the legacy of Franklin Delano Roosevelt,'' he said.

It isn't uncommon to change images on currency, but the custom has been to wait until the person being memorialized is dead.

''I certainly would not look at it in any way as dishonoring FDR. He's also one of my favorite presidents,'' said Rep. Wally Herger, R-Calif. ''He was also interestingly enough a personal hero of President Reagan's, but frankly I feel more connection with Reagan. He's a Californian, also closer to us now in history.''

Souder rounded up support from colleagues for his bill with a letter, headed ''Win One for the Gipper,'' that lambasted CBS for its ''vile miniseries.''

The dime has borne Roosevelt's profile since 1946, a year after his death, in part commemorating his support for the March of Dimes campaign to fight polio.

AP-NY-12-05-03 0545EST

Copyright 2003 The Associated Press. The information contained in the AP news report may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or otherwise distributed without the prior written authority of The Associated Press. All active hyperlinks have been inserted by AOL.

I can't see it happening. The hatred for Reagan among the Dems in politics is too strong. A Rep that had the support of many Dems. 893naughty-thumb.gif Can't honor that. Must erase him from the memory of the voters and poison their minds with fact-less bios about him. Even worse is suggesting he be put on a coin to replace Mr. Social-Spending Liberal himself.

I'd say that you'd have a better chance to get the Dems in Congerss to vote to put Osama Bin Laden on the dime before Reagan.

A commemorative for him is a possibility.

I agree with Greg and just don't see it happening (unless he happens to die the day the bill is being debated). Too much bile these days in congress to get anyone controversial on a coin.

I'd love to see the uninspiring portrait of 'ol Franklin head off into retirement with my preference of a replacement being a nice allegorical Liberty depiction over any real human. My gut feel is US coins will continue to bite for many years to come, but what do I know - I like shield nickels!

-JamminJ

Bring back allegory!!! sumo.gif Enough with the presidents already! If we should honor past presidents, it should ONLY be on commemorative coinage. flamed.gif

Hoot

Thank you, Hoot!

I second that...

Presidents are NOT what is great about this country. It's the people in general and the "ideals". Let's put "things" that happen onto coinage and quit this PC "dead President" non-sense. Pleeeeese...

jom

Not trying to get in a political rant here, but I thought people on a coin had to be dead? Or was that changed?

I believe that is true, but it has been violated in the past. Most recently the Eunice Shriver commemorative.

Not trying to get in a political rant here, but I thought people on a coin had to be dead? Or was that changed?

I believe that is true, but it has been violated in the past. Most recently the Eunice Shriver commemorative.

Again, I know nothing about coinage - but is there a difference between regular coins and commermorative ones?

Again, I know nothing about coinage - but is there a difference between regular coins and commermorative ones?

Not that I know of, but we all know Congress can make up rules as it goes along without regard for the law.

Actually I was wondering that to. thumbsup2.gif

It's probably not a big sticking point for Reagan. He is 92 years old and by all accounts he is very near death. We all know how fast Congress moves.

Actually, there have been four individuals who were living when a commemorative coin was minted. Eunice Shriver was the latest on the special olympics commem.

The others were Gov. Robinson on the Arkansas commem. The sequi commem had another living person (Coolage?). I forget the other.

Actually, there have been four individuals who were living when a commemorative coin was minted. Eunice Shriver was the latest on the special olympics commem.

The others were Gov. Robinson on the Arkansas commem. The sequi commem had another living governor. I forget the other.

Didn't George Washington appear on some coins minted while he was alive. I remember he was against the idea but weren't some made anyway?

I'm against putting any living person on a coin,even a commemerative.With that said,I'd have no objection to a Reagan coin,at the right time.But to try and replace FDR with him would turn it into a political brawl

I'd like to replace all the presidents with scenes of America's greatest moments and achievements,something to remind all Americans of our past and our duty to the future. And remind all newcomers of why they came here.

Included would be

The signing of the Declaration of Independence.The birth of our nation and the spirit of democracy

American Troops landing in Normandy-democracy attacks and defeats totalatarinism(?)

Americans on the Moon-the sky really wasn't the limit.

Would that be Physically alive or mentally -there's some who think that RR was a little brain dead in his 2nd term - personally I kinda like him - straight shooter, never one to get confused by the facts - and that "aw shucks there you go again " line with reporters was great - didn't really like the HUGH debt he left, (but we'll soon forget that when George W's done shocked.gif )

Put the guy on a dime? The very same Raygun, who drove the National Debt to new highs and looked the other way while Taxpayer's footed $180 Billion in debt to bail out the crooks (his Calif. golfing Bud's.) at the S&L's? Almost none of them even went to prison! What a deal!

Hey! It makes sense to me!!!! This guy was a terrific President!!!!!!! Why don't we Beatify him instead? tonofbricks.gif

http://www.cnn.com/2003/ALLPOLITICS/12/05/dime/index.html

Dime debate pits Reagan against FDR

From Ted Barrett

CNN Washington Bureau

Friday, December 5, 2003 Posted: 10:40 PM EST (0340 GMT)

story.politics.reagan.dime.jpg

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Congressional are pushing a bill to honor former President Reagan by putting his profile on the dime.

But intent on keeping the existing image of former President Franklin Delano Roosevelt oppose the idea.

Former first lady Nancy Reagan is siding with the .

"While I can understand the intentions of those seeking to place my husband's face on the dime, I do not support this proposal and I am certain Ronnie would not," she said in a brief statement issued in Los Angeles Friday night.

"When our country chooses to honor a great president such as Franklin Roosevelt by placing his likeness on our currency, it would be wrong to remove him and replace him with another.

"It is my hope that the proposed legislation will be withdrawn," Mrs. Reagan's statement concluded.

Eighty-nine are co-sponsoring the bill introduced in response to the television mini-series "The Reagans," which one bill sponsor described as "a wildly sophomoric polemic aimed at tarnishing the reputation of our 40th president and his devoted wife."

"The real Reagan, as all but the least impartial observer know, created policies that renewed economic growth, strengthened the resolve of the free world to oppose totalitarianism and restored pride in the United States," wrote Rep. Mark Souder, R-Indiana.

countered that Roosevelt should stay on the dime because he exhibited "bold leadership" when he took office at the height of the Great Depression," and "lifted the hearts and souls of the country and helped the American people regain faith in themselves,"

Rep. James McGovern, D-Massachusetts, wrote a letter seeking support for a resolution to keep FDR's image intact. So far, 86 members, including one , have co-sponsored that "Sense of the Congress" resolution.

Supporters of both men said each has a special connection to the dime. McGovern argued Roosevelt belongs on the dime because he inspired the March of Dimes effort to stamp out polio after the U.S. mint put the crippled president on the dime in 1946.

And Souder said, "It is particularly fitting to honor the freedom president on this particular piece of coinage" because he was "wounded under the left arm by a bullet that had ricocheted and flattened to the size of a dime."

http://www.cnn.com/2003/ALLPOLITICS/12/05/dime/index.html

Dime debate pits Reagan against FDR

From Ted Barrett

CNN Washington Bureau

Friday, December 5, 2003 Posted: 10:40 PM EST (0340 GMT)

story.politics.reagan.dime.jpg

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Congressional are pushing a bill to honor former President Reagan by putting his profile on the dime.

But intent on keeping the existing image of former President Franklin Delano Roosevelt oppose the idea.

Former first lady Nancy Reagan is siding with the .

"While I can understand the intentions of those seeking to place my husband's face on the dime, I do not support this proposal and I am certain Ronnie would not," she said in a brief statement issued in Los Angeles Friday night.

"When our country chooses to honor a great president such as Franklin Roosevelt by placing his likeness on our currency, it would be wrong to remove him and replace him with another.

"It is my hope that the proposed legislation will be withdrawn," Mrs. Reagan's statement concluded.

Eighty-nine are co-sponsoring the bill introduced in response to the television mini-series "The Reagans," which one bill sponsor described as "a wildly sophomoric polemic aimed at tarnishing the reputation of our 40th president and his devoted wife."

"The real Reagan, as all but the least impartial observer know, created policies that renewed economic growth, strengthened the resolve of the free world to oppose totalitarianism and restored pride in the United States," wrote Rep. Mark Souder, R-Indiana.

countered that Roosevelt should stay on the dime because he exhibited "bold leadership" when he took office at the height of the Great Depression," and "lifted the hearts and souls of the country and helped the American people regain faith in themselves,"

Rep. James McGovern, D-Massachusetts, wrote a letter seeking support for a resolution to keep FDR's image intact. So far, 86 members, including one , have co-sponsored that "Sense of the Congress" resolution.

Supporters of both men said each has a special connection to the dime. McGovern argued Roosevelt belongs on the dime because he inspired the March of Dimes effort to stamp out polio after the U.S. mint put the crippled president on the dime in 1946.

And Souder said, "It is particularly fitting to honor the freedom president on this particular piece of coinage" because he was "wounded under the left arm by a bullet that had ricocheted and flattened to the size of a dime."

With Nancy Reagan siding with the on keeping Roosevelt on the dime this will never happen. CHRIS

The most troubling aspect of all of this is that Congress is getting involved with coin designs (always a problem) and we will end up with the mentality that once a president or any other living person gets their image on a coin, then it will be there forever. If we could never replace Roosevelt on the dime, then we have no hope of changing any designs, unless you want a different image of the same president. It's really sad, but I fear stupid debates like this one will forever mire this country's coinage in a quagmire of mediocrity. As for Reagan, I'd rather see him on the golden dollar when it's his time.

Put the guy on a dime? The very same Raygun, who drove the National Debt to new highs and looked the other way while Taxpayer's footed $180 Billion in debt to bail out the crooks (his Calif. golfing Bud's.) at the S&L's? Almost none of them even went to prison! What a deal!

Hey! It makes sense to me!!!! This guy was a terrific President!!!!!!! Why don't we Beatify him instead? tonofbricks.gif

The same guy that saved the country during the Soviet Union.

Greg: FDR and Churchill, with some large assistance from Stalin (despite his many evils), saved the world from Hitler (and Hirohito). Additionally, there are many highly regarded academic sources (in the US and UK) that strongly believe FDR saved this nation during the Depression with programs such as the CCC and the New Deal. He certainly reasserted our national pride and made us a World Power.

In my mind, these accomplishments parallel those of Lincoln in the Civil War. FDR certainly had character flaws, but so did Reagan, Lincoln and many other Presidents. IMHO, I believe that, if we are going to have Presidents on coinage, FDR deserves to be there as much as any President and more than most (including Reagan). Reagan's accomplishments pale when compared to Lincoln, Washington, FDR etc.

: You are clueless! Reagan's propaganda machine took most of the credit for the implosion of the Soviet Union. Reagan was a small final straw in a collapsing, bankrupt Soviet system that died from it's own corruption, support of Iran in their Iraq war and their Afgan War.

I believe you're thinking of stamps. There is a rule that no living person can be depicted on a stamp.

-- Joanna

Right on, Hoot! If humans MUST be on coinage, put them on commems! If this were the way it started back with Washington and changed with every presidency, can you imagine the commem set to present? MS and PR (when it was invented)?

This would have made a great series!

IMO, I think all our coins could do without faces. How about all the natural wonders that abound within our borders? It has PARTIALLY started with the statehood quarters, but I think it would have been even better had they given the obverse a new design. And how about an animals likeness once it goes extinct? Now this would make another great series! Bugs and all! Same thing as a dead president, isn't it? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I do not remember a presidents deeds (or misdeeds!) because I see his likeness every day on a coin. But rather because of the deeds themselves and how they have transformed who we are as Americans, good AND bad.

GIVE US ALLEGORY!!!!! thumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gif

David

Personally I think congress has better things to do then to bocker about the next image on a coin.

Exactly! I agree with what jtryka said also. Congress should get their politically motivated partisan NON-SENSE out of this decision making process.

But they should change these things up every once in a while. I mean, estetically these designs aren't the best as most of out Presidents wouldn't win any beauty contests. I also don't like this idea of making these guys out to be some sort of "god". They were people just like you and me and think any President "saved" anyone from anything is non-sense. They provide leadership and ideas but generally it's the citizens of this country that has "saved" the US, if that is what happened. So putting them on coinage from a reasonable period of time is fine but not for friggen 100 years. C'mon!

It's time to make changes to our coinage. We used to have some of the best coinage around (early 20th century) but now it's dull and lifeless and putting Reagan on these isn't going to make it any better. But if they want to replace Roosey that's fine but let's make it for 10 years or less. Something reasonable...and then move on to something else.

IMO, change is GOOD for "change". laugh.gif

jom

But if they want to replace Roosey that's fine but let's make it for 10 years or less. Something reasonable...and then move on to something else.

Isn't there a law that says the design has to remain basically the same for 25 years before it can be changed?

I read a column in today's (12-13) Wall Street Journal about the Reagan/dime proposal. The bill apparently says that that Reagan's picture can be placed on the dime "after such date as the [Treasury] Secretary deems to be appropriate" which might well be after President Reagan's death. In addition, the conservative activist who came up with the idea, Grover Norquist, has suggested issuing Reagan and FDR dimes simulataneously, that is, half of the nation's dimes would feature a portrait of FDR and the other half would feature RR. I wonder if Mr. Norquist might have refined his proposal in responce to Mrs. Reagan's opposition.

Mark