• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

An Indian Cent Used in a Political Stick Pin

10 posts in this topic

Actual coins rarely appear as a part of poltical items. There are a couple of pieces that include Morgan dollars from the 1896 presidential election, but those badges must be pretty rare because I've never seen them offered. And the examples I've seen in variety books look like the dollars were swapped out for worn coins. It's hard to believe than an 1896 silver dollar included in an 1896 poltical item would be worn down to VF or Fine. hm

At any rate here's one piece I just acquired that includes a real coin that's probably been part of this poltical pin since 1896. It's an 1896 cent with the slogan "100 to $." The piece was issued for the McKinley campaign. It was probably covered with a gold wash when it was issued. The cent grades EF-AU.

Indiancentpin.jpg

Very cool, never seen something like this...thanks for sharing!

(thumbs u

i know many who collect these histrocial items of this particular year and i have yet to see anything like this as such

Very nice item there Bill, question?

Is that a cast pin, or stamped out...or perhaps a combination?

Hollow or solid?

Thanks, curious.

I believe the top part is stamped out. It is rather thin. There is a full back on cent so that you cannot see the reverse of the coin. My guess is this one of many products that Whitehead and Hoag of Newark, NJ made. The company was in this business for a long time before it disappeared in the early 1960s.