• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Artsy Oak

15 posts in this topic

Another of my favorite Early Commems. Commemorating the 300th Anniversary of the founding of the colony of Connecticut. Henry Kreis of Essen, Germany who came to the US in 1933 designed the coin with the overly large Oak Leaves to easily distinguish the tree as an Oak. The Eagle on the reverse is kind of Art Deco popular at the time.

The history of the "Charter Oak" is one everyone should read up on. It is strong symbol of liberty and independence. The total mintage is about 25,000.

WGYWN-PC210983.JPG

KOFLV-PC210984.JPG

That's a great coin.

It seems to me, years ago, I tried to search pictures of the 'Charter Oak' to see if this tree really looked as cool as that. If I remember correctly, I was not able to find a pic that looked like the coin.

A very cool coin there Richard.......

Paul

Most any image you were to find of the tree would probably be an artists rendition. The oak no longer exists. It blew down in a storm in 1856. The wikipedia entry for the Charter Oak has images for a couple of postcards from 1906 that look similar to the depiction on the half dollar. It is most likely a case though of the tree on the coin was made to copy one of those earlier images.