• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dealer Burglarized

26 posts in this topic

From NCIC website. :censored:

Dealer 's Vehicle Burglarized After Houston Money Show

Tue, 12/23/2008 - 9:50am — ncic

Shenandoah, Texas - Dealer David Salvette owner of Breck Rare Coin Co. left the Money Show of the Southwest on 12/07/08 and stopped at a restaurant in Shenandoah, Texas. While inside unknown suspect or suspects burglarized his vehicle and took inventory valued at over $100,000. Salvette believes that he was followed from the show by a group of individuals. The inventory taken included 100 PCGS gold coins $1 thru 20’s, 75 PCGS Morgans, 75 NGC gold coins, $1 thru $5 Libs, 100 NGC Morgans, 1879cc Capped Die PCGS MS63, 1893s PCGS VF30, 1925 St. Gaudens PCGS 62, and 1909D Saint PCGS 64.

Additional losses included: PCGS Gold Saints 1908 W/M 64, 1908D N/M 63&64, 1909D 64, 1910 64, 1911 63&64, 1912 64, 1913 64, 1913S 63&64, 1913D 64, 1914D 64, 2-1915 64, 2-1915 62&63, 1916S 64,. Ten Indian 1909S 64 CAC. PCGS $20 Libs 1875S 62, 1876S 61, 1883S 61, 1883cc 58, 1890cc 55.

You know I'm getting to the point that I DON"T feel for these dealers anymore.

We get this same type report after almost every show. Dealer gets followed from show and his coins are stolen after he leaves them unattended at a restaurant, gas station, hotel even in his driveway while he takes his showcases in. And these same reports have been going on for at least a couple of DECADES now. All the time there are discussions on how to increase security both at the shows and how the dealers can practice increased security on their trips home, and then they walk off and leave their coins unattended again. Come on it's not like they don't know this happens, it's that they act like they don't think it can happen to them. After awhile you stop feeling sorry for people who do foolish things.

We get this same type report after almost every show. Dealer gets followed from show and his coins are stolen after he leaves them unattended at a restaurant, gas station, hotel even in his driveway while he takes his showcases in. And these same reports have been going on for at least a couple of DECADES now. All the time there are discussions on how to increase security both at the shows and how the dealers can practice increased security on their trips home, and then they walk off and leave their coins unattended again. Come on it's not like they don't know this happens, it's that they act like they don't think it can happen to them. After awhile you stop feeling sorry for people who do foolish things.

Add to that, the fact that most insurance policies will only cover the material if it is stolen while "on the person", as opposed to unattended, unless it is in a display case, at a show, etc.

Add to that, the fact that most insurance policies will only cover the material if it is stolen while "on the person", as opposed to unattended, unless it is in a display case, at a show, etc.

I totally agree. (thumbs u

People on the show circuit tell me thieves are putting tracking devices on targeted dealers cars.

I've heard that for several years too. But no one has ever found such a device attached to their car either before or after a robbery. I consider it to be just a numismatic urban legend.

i do feel for people when this happens but at the same time i think that leaving hundreds and thousands of dollars in stuff in your car just for a split second is not the smartest thing in the world to do.

i learned being a jeweler that when you leave the show/con... you go home or to your hotel right away. not after dinner not after pee break but imediatly. you make sure the goods are safe before feeding your face a 5$ meal. is the $5 meal worth the 100,000$ in coin? no!

and those who leave the case or whatever in the car are just dumb! i have safety glass on my cadi but still i wouldnt think it safer than a safe!

i do feel for people when this happens but at the same time i think that leaving hundreds and thousands of dollars in stuff in your car just for a split second is not the smartest thing in the world to do.

i learned being a jeweler that when you leave the show/con... you go home or to your hotel right away. not after dinner not after pee break but imediatly. you make sure the goods are safe before feeding your face a 5$ meal. is the $5 meal worth the 100,000$ in coin? no!

and those who leave the case or whatever in the car are just dumb! i have safety glass on my cadi but still i wouldnt think it safer than a safe!

Excellent point. Total paranoia would be appropriate. I would also get a license to carry a firearm have another strong, intimidating person with me. It would be cheaper to hire a bodyguard for that matter. You might as well put the deed to you house in the dashboard with some cash and drive to Tijuana and go have a beer.

I agree with you except that I do not have any sympathy for someone like this because I consider them just plain dumb.

I have traveleled many times with my coins to switch them between safe deposit boxes or to bring them to a show to have them graded. My collection is not worth $100,000, but there have been several times when I have transported up to or more than $10,000.

When I do this, I never stop anywhere and I do not carry any other luggage on the plane with me either. It is easier to get distracted carrying a bunch of and if someone knew you had them, to snatch them from you before you can react. Everyone needs to use their common sense.

While I concede that one must be careful about security, I hardly think anyone deserves to be robbed or "was asking for it." Where crime is concerned, the blame first and foremost falls on the criminal. Too often, I see people getting blamed for being targeted by crime. These days, when there is, for instance, a bank robbery, there's an awful lot of blame about the quality of surveillance cameras, how poor the security officers on site were, how slow the police were to respond, et cetera. While I agree that these things are issues that need to be addressed, all too often one seems to forget that the core problem is that some person or persons went into a bank with a gun, demanded money that belonged to someone else, and ran off with it. First and foremost, the wrong-doing was committed by the frigging criminals! I'm not actively advocating leaving one's self open to crime, but let's not lose sight of where the real wrongdoing originates.

That said, picking up on ant's post, perhaps we as collectors can do more to make life harder for stealing coins by being vigilant about encouraging use of NGC's and PCGS' registries. It wouldn't take much more work for dealers to keep an online registry of their own for bulk inventory. I don't know about how well or poorly the other services like ICG or ANACS are about registry numbers, though NGC and PCGS pretty much have the market cornered between the two of them. Granted, criminals might just crack open the holders, but that extra step would at least add one extra scent trail, so to speak.

True, but in my case I consider the first line of defense to be secrecy. We are unlikely to be victimized if someone does not know there are coins to steal. Keeping a low profile is what I attempt to do when I travel so that no one knows that I am transporting something of value.

Now for a dealer leaving a show, nothing can be done to keep a stalker from following them because they know they have inventory, but in the example given, this person clearly did not use their common sense which is why I have no sympathy for them.

if the regestry were free i think more would use it. (dont know about all sides) ngc and photo grade is great idea also. once coin is in regestry it can be matched regaurdless of cracking it.

if the regestry were free i think more would use it. (dont know about all sides) ngc and photo grade is great idea also. once coin is in regestry it can be matched regaurdless of cracking it.

Uhhh..... the registry is free.

Uhhh..... the registry is free.

:blush:

Didn't know that. I'll have to start believing more of these reports. I always wondered if some of these thefts were staged to cash out on the insurance.

I would guess it could still be a good tax deduction. Sorry if it sounds like I'm thinking the worst of folks but leaving that kind of money in a parked car brings up a lot of questions. The first being, "What were you thinking".