• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1796 Half Dollar PCGS VG10

19 posts in this topic

An amazing coin!!! Absolutely great!!

Just because I enjoy figuring out varieties, I checked out Overton on this one and there is just O-102 with the 16 star obverse. What I found interesting is that the bottom curl doesn't match the O-102, and star 1 has a different orientation as does star 16. I don't see the die cracks mentioned in Overton on your coin pictures.

I am wondering if this is an unknown variety or if it even matters, since all the 1796's are so rare anyway. Anyone know of other 1796 varieties?

An amazing coin!!! Absolutely great!!

Just because I enjoy figuring out varieties, I checked out Overton on this one and there is just O-102 with the 16 star obverse. What I found interesting is that the bottom curl doesn't match the O-102, and star 1 has a different orientation as does star 16. I don't see the die cracks mentioned in Overton on your coin pictures.

I am wondering if this is an unknown variety or if it even matters, since all the 1796's are so rare anyway. Anyone know of other 1796 varieties?

It is 102...an early die state before the crack becomes too heavy and extends to stars 1-4. One can see the beginning of it between the date and star 1. It does, however, appear that star 16 points to the upper half of the dentil rather than the upper edge as Overton states. Star 1 does point to the upper half just as stated.

Edit to add: just to show how much these have appreciated over the other types I had a chance in the early 1980's to trade for a '96 16 star in (as I recall it) this same condition. (In fact, as scarce as these are it might even be that same one.) It would only have cost me a F 1794 , a VF 1795, and my XF 1815. Today, my three coins--even as much as they have gone up--would not even make a decent down payment on it.

okbustchaser

Thanks for helping me out with the 1796 half. I guess 1 star out of alignment doesn't constitute a new variety. Can I ask, in the picture of 102, the stars are really delicate and fine while on the actual coin, they are heavy. Is this a result of die wear?

I really appreciate your keeping me straight on my variety determination efforts!!

RI AL

The one silver type I don't have ...

It's a really nice piece and would almost fit in my collection. BUT I really should fill this hole with a VF. I'll do it some day.

I guess 1 star out of alignment doesn't constitute a new variety.

If it is truly out of alignment and not from damage then yes it would be a new variety.

Can I ask, in the picture of 102, the stars are really delicate and fine while on the actual coin, they are heavy. Is this a result of die wear?

I think more from coin wear. The picture in Overton is of a much higher grade coin and the stars are sharp and well defined. As they wear down they become thicker and the segments appear closer until they merge as seen on the coin here. It really can't be that much die wear because the die developed a heavy crack very early and that crack is only seen here in its very early stages, so not much die wear could have occurred.