• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1833 Capped Bust Half Dime

11 posts in this topic

Hoo, boy. She's purty. AU-53 to 55, I'd say. How do you see that thing, by the way? I'd be afraid I'd loose it, its so small.

BTW, Welcome to our friendly little neighbourhood. Just noticed you just joined. Stick around, I think you'll like it here.

as I get older, seeing the details I need to see gets tougher and tougher...which is why I am having my entire "permanent" collection (the stuff I don't ever anticipate upgrading) professionally photographed.

That is a beauty. I'll agree with AU53. Welcome to this side of the street. Somewhat slower, but many, many great and knowledgeable people, such as yourself. (thumbs u

as I get older, seeing the details I need to see gets tougher and tougher...which is why I am having my entire "permanent" collection (the stuff I don't ever anticipate upgrading) professionally photographed.

I know the feeling. :þ But it was LASIK surgery that hurt my grading skills since I gave up my very keen myoptic vision. The ancient Chinese used to use myoptic engravers for their coin dies since they could see so well up close.

Back on topic, I don't think there's as much metal loss as it may appear but it is rub on the patina, hence AU55.

Difficult task to grade these half dimes…so I had to cheat. We are also resourceful here too Barndog.

Cheaters Link

So if you don't want to cheat, don't click the link.

Welcome to the forums Barndog...show us some of those stunning coins you posses in your ever growing collection.

R6? Whew... *lets out a long whistle of admiration* Sweet. I think you'll fit in here just fine. So you're a regular on the PCGS side of things? Its a bit slower here, but a bit more... friendly. For those of us who don't know you, lets see some more coins!

That piece has a reallly nice sharp strike. If it has luster it's an AU. I'd give it an AU-53. If there no luster, I'd have to go with EF-45. The reason why I won't go higher is that it appears to be a bid dull with signs of circulation that are a bit too much for a "virtual Unc."

That piece has a reallly nice sharp strike. If it has luster it's an AU. I'd give it an AU-53. If there no luster, I'd have to go with EF-45. The reason why I won't go higher is that it appears to be a bid dull with signs of circulation that are a bit too much for a "virtual Unc."

as usual, BillJones (and others!) knows his stuff! And since that cat's already out of the bag:

The 1833 LM-6 half dime (an R-6 die marriage) is often seen well-struck, but without significant luster. This example fits that description very well. The coin has details excpected of a higher AU coin, at least AU55. However, the luster is subdued to the XF-45 to AU-50 level, so I believe the TPG settled at AU-50 for a grade when considering these competing characteristics. The coin pictured used to belong to Russ Logan, one of the authors of "Federal Half Dimes 1792-1837." I purchased it raw from Brad Karoleff's auction of Logan duplicates a couple years ago. If you ever get the opportunity to buy a coin based solely on a catalog description written by Brad, you will not be disappointed. EVERY coin I purchased in that auction was undergraded by Brad when compared to the opinion of PCGS.