• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NCS conservation of the month

8 posts in this topic

Yep saw that one... finally one that I like. Most of the conservation of the months I really don't care for. Wish they would have removed the green on the rim at 4 o'clock.

I am now in favor of this kind of work, this is what I call justifiable preservation and not enhancing or cleaning for the sake of cleaning. Coin still appears natural/original.

Wow, that is exceptional improvement, actually. Fairly subtle, but getting rid of that verdigris was unquestionably beneficial to the coin.

The risk is that sometimes, you may discover nasty corroded surface metal under those contaminants, but not so this time.

If the verdigree is dry or looks like green powder in a small spot, does that mean the surface underneath is ok and it probably stopped doing any damage and possibly can be left on because again it can't do any harm?

If the verdigree is dry or looks like green powder in a small spot, does that mean the surface underneath is ok and it probably stopped doing any damage and possibly can be left on because again it can't do any harm?

Verdigris can be stable, and you can find many coins that NGC and PCGS felt comfortable with for encapsulation. But for me, no way. I will not buy a coin so encapsulated. I always assume that verdigris can re-activate unexpectedly and must be removed.