• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grade my 1883 CC Morgan Dollar - New to This

23 posts in this topic

My grandfather has given my mother the 1883 CC GSA Morgan Dollar pictured below. I intend to submit it to NGC for grading. Any thoughts on a likely grade, as well as why? I am very new to this, but it turns out there is a large box of coins sitting in my parents basement, so my interest is growing.

Getting even these pictures was quite difficult, I admire the skill and patience demonstrated by the coin photos posted by collectors on this board. I have higher resolution photos, but they exceeded the size limit for the board. I can send them to anyone who might be able to help me but needs more detail.

I also have a proof silver eagle and a proof bald eagle commemorative I may submit, but it seems learning the fine gradiations for modern proof coins is hopeless for somone new to the hobby. I have a red book and after reviewing it a few times - my primary lesson has been that I know very little of a vast subject.

Any help is appreciated.

70428.jpg.7f1e465b3402eef61e4ee5dda0d7a41b.jpg

70430.jpg.fd17f17e62ff695742fbb33460ef3b23.jpg

If you upload your photos to Photobucket (www.photobucket.com), you'll have no trouble going well beyond the limitations of this message board. And it is Free.

I would think NGC would give this coin a 65. I like it a lot.

Also....Welcome to the boards. There are plenty of smart people here that can answer any question you can throw at them. Enjoy your stay and please feel free to post some more images of those coins from the box. :grin:

Welcome to the forum boards Scott Styles, now about the Carson City minted Morgan Dollar.

If I were you, I’d send in the whole Government issued case and NGC will grade the coin from

with-in and apply security tape along with the grade and other pertinent information.

The original government packaging is all part of the allure for these Government Services

Administration hoard Morgan’s and should be kept original.

This what your coin will like when you get it back from the Service. I personally think this

is neater than monkey meat on a stick.

1881_graded_coins_front.jpg

The reverse is wonderful with a nice strike and little or no distractions, whereas the

obverse does have a few chatter marks on the neck and cheek., I just hope the grades

go easy on your submission and go head and dub thee MS-65

First of all, Welcome to our friendly little neighborhood!

I am going to guess MS-64, but it's tough to evaluate the extent of the luster grazes from your image. In my experience, this is a date not worth certifying unless you expect a DMPL or at least MS-65 to be the grade, and even at MS-65, the cost is fairly steep. Absolutely do keep the original mint packaging and certificate if you have them!

I appreciate the advice so far - my red book doesn't show how mint state coins are graded, it justs says it is hard to do and I could them to PCGS. Any good grading resource guides online? MS64 or 65 would be exciting - the price guide on NGC says the coin is worth $270 at a 64, or $480 at a 65.

I do have all of the original packaging, even the yellowed box the mint used to ship it to my grandfather. The grading on the government holder looks pretty cool.

I've uploaded the images to photobucket - I think they should be clearer now.

morgan-obverse-1.jpg

morgan-reverse-1.jpg

The grade you will get will be no better than MS-64. PCGS if they are feeling nasty could give it an MS-63, but the coin deserves an MS-64. The price difference between MS-63 and MS-64 is not much. Like the others I would leave this one the GSA holder with the outer box and cerfificate of authenticity.

I agree with the MS64 grade and also keeping it in a GSA Holder. The obverse is a MS64 and the reverse is a MS65. Net grade a MS64. Welcome to the board and nice photos as well.

I agree it's an MS64. Another thing you might need to know is that only NGC will grade the coin in the original packaging. PCGS won't. They will remove it and transfer it to one of thier slabs. I personally think it's more valuable with the GSA package. As for price,I've seen MS64 82,83 or 84 CC's sell for between $150 and $250.

very nice coin! 64-65 !

there are some very helpful books that help in grading. some dont have very good pics but there discription is good. i dont know which is best but i have a few. pcgs has one i think ...

Very nice coin but I think it gets a MS63 . The reverse is very nice but there is a lot of chatter on the observe. I have a 1885 CC that looks similar.

As others have said make sure you request that NGC leaves the coin in the GSA holder.

Very nice coin but I think it gets a MS63 . The reverse is very nice but there is a lot of chatter on the observe. I have a 1885 CC that looks similar.

As others have said make sure you request that NGC leaves the coin in the GSA holder.

The services have gone through periods where they were pretty easy on CC dollars. I've seen pieces in MS-63 holders that had a lot more marks than this piece.

I printed the invoice last night - it looks like the GSA option precludes using my grading coupon, since I only have one of these. That's ok though, curiosity has the best of me at this point. Now I just need to pack the coin up and go to the post office. I might wait until a day or two after the holidays though – the crowds stress me out.

For the most part, the coins my parents have are modern proofs ordered from the mint. I think there may be one or two albums of older nickels or cents - the last time I looked at the coins I knew very little.

I’ll see if they will let me borrow the coins tomorrow. I'm on holiday all week and have some time to sort through them. Prospecting for a hidden treasure could be fun.

Too many marks on the obverse to be an MS64. I would give it an MS63. However still a nice coin. I really like the GSA Morgan CCs.

I agree that there are marks on the obverse but this coin being a CC will usually get the upper grade nod .

Reverse being a high 64 and the obverse being 63ish avaraging to a 64 is my thinking anyway :)