• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Proof 1988s Half Dollar Double Die

25 posts in this topic

I'm a newbie in coin collecting. I recently bought this coin in auction. I was wondering a few things:

It's grade?

It's value?

Is it worth getting graded?

How do I get it graded?

Thanks. Description of auction ad and pic's are below...

It was displayed as the following:

1988 S 90% SILVER KENNEDY HALF DOLLAR. THIS COIN WAS TAKEN FROM A SEALED 1988 UNITED STATES MINT SILVER PROOF SET. THE COINS WERE REMOVED FROM THE PLASTIC HOLDERS WITH GLOVED HANDS USING A GREAT DEAL OF CARE, AS NOT TO DAMAGE THE COINS IN THE SLIGHTEST. THEY WERE THEN PLACED INTO ARCHIVAL COIN SLIPS (HOLDERS), SEALED AND THEN STORED IN A CLIMATE CONTROLLED SAFE. AS IF THIS WAS NOT A GREAT COIN AS IT IS, WE HAVE A VERY STRONG FILLED "S" AND A D/D DATE MINT ERROR ON THIS COIN. ALL THE NUMBERING OR THE DATE ARE EXTREMELY D/Died. AS THE PICTURES CLEARLY SHOW THIS IS AN TRULY AMAZING EXAMPLE OF A UNIQUE D/D DATE ERROR AS WELL AS THE FILLED "S". THE DATE IS DOUBLED AND THE REVERSE OF THE COIN IS PERFECT IN EVERY WAY POSSIBLE. SHE IS TRULY QUITE A STUNNINGLY BEAUTIFUL ERROR COIN.

631e_1.JPG

6271_1.JPG

23b2_1.JPG

Welcome to the neighborhood!

I don't see any indication of doubling, and the mintmark looks normal to me. Have you checked it against the Cherrypicker's Guide? Are those flecks I see just particles of cardboard dust from the Mint case or are they nicks? If they are nicks, I don't think it would be worth submitting. If your only reason for submitting it is because of the supposed doubling, you might want to save your money.

Since you're new to the hobby, you should be aware that there are alot of sellers on eBay (it that is where you bought it) who strrrrrrrrretch the truth quite a bit and there are others who outright lie preying on an unknowing public to make a sale. It would be advisable to invest in a few books and learn a little more about collecting. It would be money well spent.

Have fun!

Chris

Al, I don't think that it is a filled-S. It appears to be a typical mintmark that is very small and the spaces between the loops are almost indistinguishable.

Regardless, "filled die chips" on the date, mintmark or other lettering is something that is not uncommon and doesn't warrant a premium.

Chris

I'll have to agree with the others as nothing looks out of the ordinary to me either. By the pics it also looks like it might not even make Cameo.

A question to others, I thought that the Silver Proof sets didn't come out until 1992???

I think the 1988 Prestige set was silver. I may be wrong.

I think this had a silver dollar in it but the rest of the coins were clad. I may be wrong. (shrug)

You are correct Bobby. The dime, quarter and half dollar were all clad. Only the Olympic Silver Dollar was silver. This was included in the Prestige proof set.

Where's my manners BTW, Welcome to the forum WhoMe. There is a unique trick to finding out if this half is silver. Thanks to one of our respected members Conder101, you can take a piece of toilet paper and place it over the coin. It should be a brighter white/gray color. It's easier if you have two halves. A clad half and your presumed silver half. The silver will be brighter under the toilet paper. The clad will be darker.

You guys are right about the Prestige set. Alot of people make that mistake it seems. I found a bunch listed on Ebay as Silver proof sets.

Sorry to say,either the person who wrote the description was mistaken about the doubling(it sometimes happens with mirrored coins) ,the filled s and the 90% silver or they were fibbing to put it mildly. If you need other opinions you might want to go to a close by coin shop.

Welcome WhoMe?

The Complete Encyclopedia of U.S. Coin Varieties list this variety as:

1988 S

K50-10 Doubled die obverse includes:

K50-11 Slight doubling on WE TRUST and mint mark, proof.

CONECA 1-O-II

PCGS lists the 1988-S proof error coin as:

1988-S DDO FS-101 PR

I’m not saying what you have here is a Doubled Die variety, close-ups of the areas mentioned would be required. High grade (MS-68) certified examples in deep cameo have sold for $150, a lot depends on having two people who want the coin for their collection/registry, etc.

As far as the “S” filled mint mark goes, I do not think that it has any real bearing on this coins value. To me it really only comes into play with the 1979 & 1981 Proof coins with filled mint marks. And then, the open “S” is valued more than the filled “S” so take it from there.

Edit:The description is a generic paragraph with a “fill-in the date” lazy approach to sell a common coin. 90% silver Kennedy halves were made for one year, 1964 then went to 40% in 65,66,67,68, 69 and then the last in 1970. It was not until 1992 when 90% silver was resumed, with the Mint Proof coinage.

I’m sorry to say that I think the example you purchased would not qualify it for deep cameo designation, so a significant amount of value has been lost.

You should have enough information at the end of this thread to do some searching on your own, auction houses area good place to start with Teletrade, Heritage. Wonder around and learn, get some experience for your next purchase.

Where's my manners BTW, Welcome to the forum WhoMe. There is a unique trick to finding out if this half is silver. Thanks to one of our respected members Conder101, you can take a piece of toilet paper and place it over the coin. It should be a brighter white/gray color. It's easier if you have two halves. A clad half and your presumed silver half. The silver will be brighter under the toilet paper. The clad will be darker.

Bobby, this trick doesn't work with my TP. I use 2-ply "Northern" that is really thick. lol

Chris

A question to others, I thought that the Silver Proof sets didn't come out until 1992???

Bobby, I didn't comment on this because I wasn't sure myself, and all of my reference books are in storage boxes.

The seller's description that WhoMe posted is a typical example of why newcomers to collecting coins should think twice about buying on eBay before they have gained more knowledge and experience. There are just too many instances where sellers know very little or nothing at all about a particular coin or series and they don't care if they mislead anyone as long as they can make a buck.

Chris

PS. for WhoMe I noticed that you haven't posted any comments since you originated this thread. In no way, did I intend to cause you any embarrassment, and I'm sure that everyone else meant well, too. The fact that you might have made a mistake is no reason to stay away. We've all been there at one time or another. Collectively, the people on these boards have "centuries" of knowledge, and you can learn much from them. Don't be afraid to ask questions, and by all means, don't be a stranger.

Bobby, this trick doesn't work with my TP. I use 2-ply "Northern" that is really thick. lol

Chris

Leave it to you Chris lol

wow i only knew of the 1979 filled and open s varieties. the t2=open is worth more in those cases.

edited to add welcome to boards :)

Who Me? Hello. :grin:

Mine was the second reply to your post and I also forgot to welcome you to the Bulletin Boards. So...WELCOME! :banana:

I did look at a filled s coin I have (different date) and the s is more of a "blob" than a "regular" S mintmark. I must agree with the others who posted here in saying that I do not believe it your coin has a "filled S".

I'm not very good at determining double dies unless they are obvious, and again, in agreement with other replies, I don't think yours is a DD either.

Don't feel bad if this purchase didn't go as you had hoped. Believe me, we have ALL made mistakes in purchases, and I have made MORE than my share! Chalk it up to a learning experience but do NOT get discouraged with the hobby!!

If we can be of any help, please feel free to post questions. Again, welcome.

RI Al

Who Me? Hello. :grin:

Mine was the second reply to your post and I also forgot to welcome you to the Bulletin Boards. So...WELCOME! :banana:

I did look at a filled s coin I have (different date) and the s is more of a "blob" than a "regular" S mintmark. I must agree with the others who posted here in saying that I do not believe it your coin has a "filled S".

I'm not very good at determining double dies unless they are obvious, and again, in agreement with other replies, I don't think yours is a DD either.

Don't feel bad if this purchase didn't go as you had hoped. Believe me, we have ALL made mistakes in purchases, and I have made MORE than my share! Chalk it up to a learning experience but do NOT get discouraged with the hobby!!

If we can be of any help, please feel free to post questions. Again, welcome.

RI Al

Al, what did you say to him that scared him off so quickly? lol

He's probably in Iraq by now.

Chris

Welcome to the forum WhoMe.

Just look at the Edge of the Kennedy Half-if it is white it is silver, if it is copper/dull streaked it is clad. But this coin will be clad and the seller has defrauded you either by accident or by design. Either way get your money back and if any problem is encountered name the seller to all who will listen. If you bought it off ebay and/or paid with paypal you have plenty of recourse. Good luck. If you do not take any advice from this post's replies, please take Chris's advice and buy the books you need for the coinage you collect. Best advice on earth.

Jim

I think e1 missed what he is talking about...look above the TR in trust, is that another neck line?...between the 1 and 9 of the date is other evidence of what may be die clashing...the back of Kennedy's head has a wide "hub doubled" look..and the right side of the 8's look like hub doubling...also a bit of cudding on the rim by the 9 and under the neck ( where it looks like the W is actually on top of the neck--which would be the wrong placement)...a VERY unusual piece , I'd like to see it in hand, but I'm not sure of any exorbitant extra value...

Welcome to the neighborhood...

Great eye, Jackson. Boy this coin would be interesting to have inhand. Coneca does list a DDO/DDR 1988 S Kennedy, but no mention of the bust doubling/tripling. It looks like quite a lot may be going on with the lower right bust edges, unless a photo/lighting glitch.

Jim

1988SKennedyHalfConeca.jpg

To me what you are seeing are lighting artifacts cast across a proof image and no, I did not miss the possibility that this coin may in fact be a doubled die variety, but the doubling is so subtle on this particular year that it takes close scrutiny to actually ascertain that doubling in the date and letters has actually occurred.

In other words, one cannot tell from these images and there are no prominent die characteristics that set it apart from the other 1988-S Kennedy proofs.

Only a close inspection will reveal the truth.