• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

This sure is a quiet place

16 posts in this topic

It doesn't seem that much happens in this corner of the world. tongue.gif

There are a lot of registry sets out there just no posting or comments about them. So, I figured it was time to inject some life...

Not everyone is building sets, and that's fine as they're not for everyone. I'm curious - who is building sets and what are you chasing?

Most of mine are centered around proof coins from 1950-1964 which includes by type and by year set, but there are a few outliers like war nickels and classic commem's that have my interest.

I'm chasing CAM/DCAM ('50-'64) examples to either upgrade or fill holes...wherever I can afford them, that is. And am, one-by-one working on my classic Commem set. The nice thing is that there is no hurry to complete any of them and the chase sure is a lot of fun.

The pictures and explanations I've posted are either poor or non-existant. 893whatthe.gif So, I'm hoping to get a nice digital camera and a macro lense for Christmas...I just need to tell my wife what I want! grin.gif

Well, I am mainly working on two registry sets at this time. The first is a complete 144-coin set of early commemoratives, and the second is a set of Buffalo nickels.

I already have complete sets of Morgan & Peace dollars, Washington quarters, and Kennedy Half dollars. I also need only four more coins to complete my Lincoln cent collection. All of these sets were completed before the registries became a big thing and although 95% of the coins in these sets were in NGC or PCGS holders when I bought them, I cracked them out and put them in albums, because I like the look of the coins in the album pages. If I ever decide to spend the money to have them re-holdered, all of these sets would rank well in the registry.

My Early Commem Set

My Buffalo Set

John

There is only one Registry Set that I am working on and that is the US Type Set. Since I buy coins based upon eye appeal with little regard to series, I have been all over the numismatic board. This works out well if you want to put together a type set, almost like I planned it! 27_laughing.gifwink.gif The set has more coins in it, however, I try to list one coin each week as long as my lazy butt gets in gear. Some of the images are quite good while others are terrible, but I work on the descriptions to make them something I would like to read. Here is my set.

I have many sets registered and most of them are far from complete wink.gif

But I would like to add if I have a chance.

my washington

seated half

Both are 7% complete!! thumbsup2.gif

Well all 7% of your collection is better than my best seated half! I especially like your 1869 and 1876.

My registry sets are all nickels. Nickel five cent type set, buffalo long and short sets, and Jefferson 1938-64, '38-date, and wartime Jeffs. My goal for the buffalo long set is no longer to have the entire series. I decided to diversify my collecting a bit blush.gif by eliminating the branch mint coins from 1914-29. I have not removed those few coins from my set yet, but will when they are sold. As for the Jeffersons, my goal is to have distinct sets, but for the time being there is a great deal of overlap of coins between the sets ~shrug~. An evolving process.

I also collect cerified (but do not register) classic commem types, modern commems, proof Jefferson nickels, silver state quarters, and U.S. types. Oh, and I alos collect albums of nearly everything! 893whatthe.gif

What I dream to collect: a full set of buffalo nickel proofs in PR66. cloud9.gif

Hoot

Just recently a decision was made with my set that is close to what Hoot has done with his Buffalo's. Instead of collecting the whole series only the early dates will get attention. This is what my first intention was in the beginning.

The set is linked in my reply I believe. A picture of the newest addition is attached. Hopefully this is what the coin will look like. It is on the way now to its new home.

Ken

324946-28S65.jpg.4a666629e7a18c5d36d99b50f5eda84c.jpg

Well, unlike you guys, whether I eliminate the branch mints or not, my set will still take a lifetime to complete. Even with just a year set, the 1921, 1929, 1930, 1931 and 1932 are real stoppers, not to mention the 1933! So I figure if it's gonna be tough either way, I may as well go for the gold (no pun intended). I really like a set that will take me a while to do, it keeps me occupied. Besides, the S-mint coins from 1913-1916 are so pretty!

PS=Toyo, I will trade sets once you get to 52% like mine! grin.gif

Instead of collecting the whole series only the early dates will get attention.

C'mon! You should have figured that out LONG ago. laugh.gif

When I was doing Mercs (which I never finished actually) I knew right away it would be NO challenge to do a set with dates after 1931 (IMO) so why bother? The "real" coins are before 1930 or so. 893whatthe.gif

jom

Hoot, don't know how complete your PCGS/NGC PR Jeff set is but I can tell you that I sent in all 32 of my PCGS PRs to Heritage for their FUN Bullet Auction on the 12th of January. Had soom real nice ones but lost interest in chasing the higher grades. Harder and more expensive then I could afford---time AND money-wise. 69Dcam from 1962 to 1974 down to PR67 starting in 1938 and lots of 67/68 cams in between. Might be a chance to add to what you are missing, if you are of the mind.

David

re: Besides, the S-mint coins from 1913-1916 are so pretty!

Jeff, would you please clarify that statement. Is it because of strike, luster, or what exactly?

I'll remember that when I upgrade my type coin.

It's mainly due to strike and luster, for some reason the S-mints in the teens just have blazing luster, solid strike and a stunning overall appearance, something to be desired, especially for a type coin.