• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Any interesting pocket change finds lately.?

67 posts in this topic

I just "fished" a 1943-S Jefferson (silver) from the vending machine here at work. Nice strong strike. Would easily grade XF if not for some edge damage.

Found a 57-D Lincoln (XF) in my pocket change from the grocery store last week.

Any others out there to speak of.?

Ham

Cladded Indiana P cracked die at washingtons neck to the Q in QUARTER. Also the planchet looks cracked under his chin. It looks like a spike extending into the R in LIBERTY. MS something ???

Coolcoin

I went to Publix the other day. As the cashier was giving me back change she broke open a new roll of quarters. I got back 3 Kentucky quarters and all looked like MS68+ grin.gifwink.gifcool.gifgrin.gif

I got a 1967 nickel today, it looks like it went through a meat grinder. Does that count? wink.gif Actually, I seem to get tons of older nickels in change, mostly from the 60's , more so than modern nickels, the life span for them must be forever grin.gif

Does anyone else "fish" vending machines. I usually carry a bit of pocket change, put it into the slot of a vending machine, and press the Coin Return button to see what "keepers" I can get in return.

I usually also carry a short list of modern coins that I need to fill holes in folders. If the coins that I get from the Coin Return are not on that list, they become "bait" and go back into the machine again.

I've filled a lot of holes in folders this way. Just wondering if any of you do the same.

Warning: Vending Machine Fishing is Habit Forming (but potentially rewarding).!! crazy.gif

Ham

Usually the coin return bin is filled with rolls from the bank. Some vnding outfits do put the accumulated coin right back in the bin, but rarely. The coins used in vending machines do tend to be much more interesting than regular bank rolls. Vending machines are an excellent way to get coins into circulation that might get nabbed by the first collector who spots them. Now that so many people are watching their change, the machines may not be as good as they used to be. The incoming coin at the vending company may be starting to get checked

The only interesting things I got lately are some wheats and a 1939 nickel and several from the 40s. Nickels are still easy to get. Wish I had more $$$ to get lots of half dollars to go silver hunting!

Shiroh- That $100,000 price tag is party due to condition rarity. Your vending machine find is only worth $50,000.00. Sorry to break the bad news to you.

The old machines (up to 1970) usually gave back the same coin, but the new machines do have a separate compartment for any coin return. Once a coin is accepted by the discriminator it is injected into a usually sealed box and can not be returned. Unaccepted and jammed coins are returned.

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

As kids, my friends and I would go to the laundromat, put quarters into the change machine and then search the resulting nickels and dimes for keepers until the manager chased us away. wink.gif

Hi,

In this month's batch of coins from my in-law's video store ther was a 1941 Mercurcy dime in VG. Been looking through change for 20 years but his is my first Mercury!

-JamminJ

I can't believe this thread stopped in 2002. It is an amazing idea. "Interesting Pocket Change". This should be pinned!

Anyway -I got this three days ago in change. Certainly nothing special but to find it in change is rather special! Just a scan of the obv/rev but sufficient. Let's keep posting what we get in our pocket change!

67354.jpg.9fbe9330857c3a08b41590b6051dca44.jpg