• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

an interesting 1814

10 posts in this topic

I think, since I regretfully sold my 1814 (in MS and totally original), I'm trying to compensate...i.e., putting my money into lower grade, even if not so beautiful lower grade 1814's that are difficult to find...in any condition. One of these is the E/A I think I posted awhile ago. The other, is this one.

It's obviously been dipped at one time, but toned over with time. Properly dipped at least, with significant luster for an EF40. I[ve had a few coins like this, which I later upgraded, most of them overdates, one was an 1811 small 8.

I'm still looking for that perfect 1814, at which time I will sell all those other 1814's, simply because I most certainly will not be able to afford it! lol

I'll tell you this, it's an Overton 105a, which is an R4. The 105, is an R2.

Notice the heavy clash marks from the shield, on the neck of this lady.

Clue to the story behind this coin, and how it happened to be. So I won't tell any further.

Souders describes it as a very scarce late die state of the 105.

2979729112_8de570b374.jpg

2978872789_8cd694da2f.jpg

Doesn't O-105A = Single Leaf? And isn't that why this one is a keeper no matter what and the reason why you will be snagging yet another 1814? :grin:

Neat!

Doesn't O-105A = Single Leaf? And isn't that why this one is a keeper no matter what and the reason why you will be snagging yet another 1814? :grin:

Neat!

Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner.

yep! it's the single leaf variety.

to explain to those who don't know this coin, here is the Overton 105 (heavy clashmark on both sides, but I'll just show the reverse, since it has both leaves.

p.s. this is from the heritage auction of the Reiver collection

2984412513_4690cff647.jpg

and this is the 105a, which is a later die state of the 105, after heavy die lapping to remove clashmarks, and coincidentaly, erasing one of the leaves of the olive branch.

2978872789_8cd694da2f.jpg