• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

IF YOU HAD TO SELL YOUR COLLECTION which is the LASTcoin you would sell??

36 posts in this topic

hm IN OTHER WORDS YOU GOT TO SELL ALL YOUR COINS and they all got to go

forwahtever reason they ALL need to be sold

registry sets; big value coins; EVERYTHING; etc. all of them

which coin would be the last one you would part with in other words you could only possibly/maybe keep one coin until this coin might need to be sold; which coin would it be?

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm :ohm

This is a tough question, as most of my coins, though maybe a little scarce in their condition, are reasonably common. I would probably pick this one, as it is the only coin of mine with sentimental value to me.

A couple years ago, my grandmother gave me a small cache of coins that were stored in the bottom of a metal cashbox along with a pile of old papers. The coins acquired the most wonderful golden brown tone, ingrained in the flowlines of the coin.

This is the nicest of the lot, and as such, the one that I associate most readily with her gift. I know where this coin has been for the last thirty years...how many other YNs can say that?

1924%20%241%20Obv.jpg1924%20%241%20Rev.jpg

This is a very poor image of this coin - I hope to be able to do better soon. My dad bought me a macro lens for my birthday next week. :)

I gave my wife a 1901 Morgan instead of wedding ring when we exchanged blessings.

I think i'll hold onto it, even if all the others had to go.

I think it would be the early commemorative that is Connecticut. That coin design has always left me staring at it. It's not my most expensive, by a long shot, but it is my favorite and a close second would be the Vermont early commemorative.

66489.jpg.e902f09535e06f6b668a07698c6913cb.jpg

66490.jpg.0b028aa4db8b8fe6a257975b90657544.jpg

An 1850 O Eagle, which was my Father's favorite coin, is graded by ANACS as MS 62, yet to be crossed over to either NGC or PCGS. I do not have the figures in front of me but if memory serves me correctly there are two graded higher with PCGS and none with NGC. (based on my memory). This is the premier coin of our collection.

Rey

1850OEagleObv-1.jpg

1850OEagleRev-1.jpg

I really don't have anything that is of real value such as rarity, errored, or even valuable gold. I do know that my wife was very excited to give me this Morgan proposed design. So I guess I would have to say that after selling all, I would be left with a piece of bullion and happy to have it.

2005GeorgeTMorgan1876100UnionObv-1.jpg

2005GeorgeTMorgan1876100UnionRev-1.jpg

They would all go at the same time since the only way I will ever sell any of them would be because the federal govt said I had to. Even then, I'd SPEND them before I gave some federal agent the satisfaction.

Honestly, michael, if I ever got to such a desperate situation where a firesale of all my coins was required, I would not keep any of them! It would be too heart breaking. They would ALL go. Then, I would probably begin looking through change to find interesting pieces to keep at face value.

Honestly, michael, if I ever got to such a desperate situation where a firesale of all my coins was required, I would not keep any of them! It would be too heart breaking. They would ALL go. Then, I would probably begin looking through change to find interesting pieces to keep at face value.

I feel much the same as James. however, rather than sell everything, I think I would just commit suicide and let some unbiased id-e-ut take care of the matter of disposal.

On the other hand, if I missed in an attempt to shoot myself or the rope should cause the chandelier to come crashing down from the ceiling, I think I would keep the Kennedy on my sig line because it is the first error coin I had ever received from the Mint.

Chris

I bought this coin in 1970 shortly before turning thirteen, it was my first coin store purchase. It's the only coin I own that I'll never sell. :sumo:

1789-cent.jpg

Coins from my Grandmother that when I way a child I can remember sitting at her living room table with sheets of white paper and covering the coins and rubbing crayons-chalk

and soft lead pencil and making transfers of the coins fronts and backs most were early 1800 to mid 1800's half's-dollars=large cents and some gold coin.Trashed a lot of nice coins in the 1950's but good memorys

I could not even conceive of the idea.....selling off the hoard would be like cutting off my sister's arm .

I would rather just give them all away than sell , ....if forced to do so .

If by personal choice , however , and I could only have but one to hold a little longer ....I would only hope that I could have more time to chose , so I'll get back to you on it in a few days / weeks / or so.

The one coin that I would keep? My 1812 Capped Bust Half, O-104 in VF35 raw. This was the first CBH I purchased and immediately fell in love with it and the series. I have purchased many nicer ones since but this is the one that started it all. :cloud9:

IF YOU HAD TO SELL YOUR COLLECTION which is the LASTcoin you would sell?

Probably the one that other collectors want least. :)

It would be my 1872 MS 64 RB Indian PCGS. How are all your guys posting such big photos? I have taken photos with my digital macros Cannon camera and this website only allows 200,000 bytes? This size of a photo shows no details. The photos posted here are quite large and detailed. Any HELP appreciated.

It would be my 1872 MS 64 RB Indian PCGS. How are all your guys posting such big photos? I have taken photos with my digital macros Cannon camera and this website only allows 200,000 bytes? This size of a photo shows no details. The photos posted here are quite large and detailed. Any HELP appreciated.

Resize your photo to 600x600 or so.

Chris

I would say the coins that my great uncle gave me when we visited the old homestead that my mother's family settled in the mid-nineteenth century. Those coins are nothing too valuable, but were family heirlooms that started me on this crazy hobby!

My response is based upon (at least the partial) assumption that this would be necessary because of the current economic environment. Because though this can happen to any of us individually due to personal circumstances, it is more likely to happen now to a large number of collectors and "investors" due to financial duress.

To date, the coin market appears to have held up farily well, or at least it has for my series and the auction results I have seen. But I think we are about to test my comments in my prior posts that many collectors are going to be forced to sell their coin collections into a falling market and a contracting economy.

If I am correct, the most likely areas to be sold in large quantity first and in large or larger numbers will be US modern conditional rarities and generic common type coins in all grades. Before this bear market is over, I expect these coins to fall substantially with some of them losing over 90% of their peak market prices.

I have been selectively selling some of my coins such as my South Africa ZAR and any duplicate South Africa Union issues. When I return from India next Saturday, I will find out in one week how many layoffs there will be in my company. I do not consider my position at immediate risk, but I still have some more coins to sell that I do not "have" to have or that I believe I will be able to buy back later at lower prices. It is a preemptive precautionary measure to get peak or higher prices now before pricing power declines.

As for which coin I would sell last, I do not know. One candidate would be my 1892 South Africa ZAR NGC MS-64 RB PL Penny. It is one of three in the combined NGC and PCGS census out of about 500+.

Wow...is that a tough question, but like many of you, I took the sentimental route for my answer. This coin and a St Gaudens $20 (then raw) were mailed to me at Florida State University by my oldest brother, then living in Brooklyn. It was 1974. He passed away a few years later "under mysterious circumstances" and after the police and lawyer unsealed the apartment, nothing remained of his collection of rare books, some coins and other collectibles except the refrigerator. We never found out what happened but I have this coin as a memory.

I can't remember when I had the coin certified. A dealer at a Boston show sent it in for me. I don't know how to distinguish the date of the slab from it's appearance but if anyone knows, I'd appreciate your letting me know. Thanks for "listening".

RI AL

20r-1.jpg

20o-1.jpg

Wow...is that a tough question, but like many of you, I took the sentimental route for my answer. This coin and a St Gaudens $20 (then raw) were mailed to me at Florida State University by my oldest brother, then living in Brooklyn. It was 1974. He passed away a few years later "under mysterious circumstances" and after the police and lawyer unsealed the apartment, nothing remained of his collection of rare books, some coins and other collectibles except the refrigerator. We never found out what happened but I have this coin as a memory.

I can't remember when I had the coin certified. A dealer at a Boston show sent it in for me. I don't know how to distinguish the date of the slab from it's appearance but if anyone knows, I'd appreciate your letting me know. Thanks for "listening".

RI AL

20r-1.jpg

20o-1.jpg

Send Conder101 a PM. He should be able to tell you.

Actually, I just sold two-thirds of my coins last month. In number that is. I kept the coins that are the most liquid, no sentimentality allowed in this venture. You can't eat coins and they don't keep your feet warm at night. I kept almost all of the gold coins and a few classic silver coins that are always in demand. Plus, some bullion coins for when we need them. Coin collecting has been fun for a long time but I can certainly live without it and will, just fine.

While I love my collection and there are several that have a great deal of meaning to me, there is not 1 coin that means so much more to me than anything else that it would be the last to go. That said, there are several that would be among the last. Included among these are my P & D 1943 steel cents in MS67. I've always loved the cents; I've always been really facinated by the steel cents, the 2 coins that I have are beautiful and I spent a lot of time looking for them, and because they aren't silver they have among the lowest intrinsic value (which may be all that matters if things go bad).