• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Two more nice Buffalos!

21 posts in this topic

Well as I promised, here are the other two Buffalo’s that I was waiting for. The first is a 1925 and the second is a 1927. Both are in early PCGS holders, the 1925 is graded MS-65 and is in a green label and the 1927 is graded MS-66 and is in one of those holders with the yellow/green label. The 1925 has a nice orange, gold, & purple tone with the reverse being lighter than the obverse. The 1927 has a pretty ring of rainbow color around the rim on the obverse that fades into light gold and than into ice blue. The reverse shows some of the rainbow from the obverse, but is mostly light gold and ice blue.

315292-1925%20buffalo%20obv.jpg315294-1925%20buffalo%20rev.jpg

315296-1927%20buffalo%20obv.jpg315298-1927%20buffalo%20rev.jpg

John

My Buffalo set

WOW, THE COLOR MAKES IT LOOK LIKE THE INDIAN IS CRYING. Beautifull coloring.

KINGKOIN KING OF KOINS

Do you remember those anti-pollution commercials from the 1960s where the Native American is shown looking into a filthy, garbage ridden river and crying? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I don't know who it was Greg but it was a good comercial. It made you think about all the [!@#%^&^] we put into the atmosphere, and how pristine the land would be if the Indians weren't slaughtered by the white man for the gold in them there hills.

KINGKOIN KING OF KOINS

popcorn.gifpopcorn.gifpopcorn.gifpopcorn.gifpopcorn.gif

This is correct we lost more of ourselves in the civil war than all the other wars combined. We are a murderous but compassonate people today. General Winfield Scott lead the Cherokee Indians on the TRAIL OF TEARS because gold was found in North Georgia. White man wanted it, and slaughterd the Indians for it.

KINGKOIN KING OF KOINS

popcorn.gifpopcorn.gifpopcorn.gifpopcorn.gifpopcorn.gif

Very nice. I also looked through your registrey you linked below and am very impressed...I like your 1919 best...monster!!

I would like to collect this series after I finish my seated half dimes set and my type set...boy, I'll have to take care and live long laugh.gif

Thanks for sharing the images of those coins, John. I especially like the 27 P. It has an excellent strike & the nicest toning I've seen on a business strike of that series. I have a nice 38 D with golden toning on the rims with blue centers, but the 27P is in a class by itself.

Wasn't that the Italian guy playing the indian?

No, for God's sake. He was a real, honest to goodness native American (as they say). He died sometime during the 1990s.

gossip.gif

Beijim

[quoteNo, for God's sake. He was a real, honest to goodness native American (as they say). He died sometime during the 1990s.

from environmental pollution perhaps?????????893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Thanks for your comments guys!

Toyonakataro,

I think you would enjoy collecting this challenging, as well as interesting series.

Elcontador,

I am glad you enjoyed the images, it was my pleasure to post them. I always appreciate it when other board members post images of a wonderful coin, so when I have a chance to return the favor by posting a coin that I think the board would enjoy I do. Thanks for your comments about the 27p. It really is a nice example of that date.

As for the discussion about Native Americans, personally I have always felt that the Native Americans were treated terribly by the Europeans that came to this country. Before the Europeans arrived the whole continent of North America belonged to the Native Americans.

Once the Europeans arrived they began to rob the Native Americans of the most important thing they had, their land! Because the Native Americans were people that lived off the land, there was nothing more important to them. The Europeans employed any means they could to drive the Native Americans from their homelands. The Native Americans were lied to, cheated and pushed off of their homelands, and when they fought back to protect what was rightfully theirs they were killed. And when the great herds of Bison that once darkened the western plains were hunted to near extinction, the Native Americans were finally starved into submission.

While I find the design of the Buffalo nickel fitting, due to the direct dependency the Native Americans of the west had on the bison for substance, it is ironic to me that this same design shows a Native American and the very thing that finally led to their decline.

John

Being part Cherokee, I take strong exception to your remarks about indians. Gen'l Scott and other Generals (Sheridan, Sherman et al), killed more indians then the tribes ever had themselves. The US Army indian wars: forced starvation marches of 1000's of miles, allowed corrupt indian officials to steal indian food and land, promoted land settler theft (of entire Reservations i.e. South Dakota), promoted near extinction of the Buffalo, lead massacres at Sand Creek and Wounded Knee, et cetera, et cetera.

The result was that; between tribal internment, relocation to scorced-earth reservations, location of children away from parents to Missionary Schools where language and culture were extinquished; entire indian cultures, customs and languages were crushed. By the time of the Battle of Wounded Knee in December, 1890, there were almost no free ranging indians left in the entire west.

As for intertribal murder, in actuality by the time white men arrived in 1620, the (5) Iroquois Nations had peace treaties. This was a big problem for the French and English because it made their intertribal warfare strategy harder (read history of French and Indian Wars). Plus, the Lakota (Sioux), Dakota, Cheyenne and Blackfoot tribes had peace treaties before the end of the Civil War. Read a history book that tells the truth! That is not "the way it was".

This short response does not even touch the genocidal mass extermination of the Aztec and Incan civilizations in Latin America by the gold hungry, blood thirsty Conquistadors. Or the hundreds-of-thousands of indians who died from measles, small pox, flu or plague (all white-men's diseases). Check your facts!

sign-rantpost.gif

Charlie, I, too, am part Cherokee and grew up in Oklahoma -- the land of the red people.

Yet, every story has two sides. The Aztecs wiped out the Toltecs and, generally, most tribes fought amoung themselves for sport, machoism, women and for hunting grounds.

So, who's right? That's kind of hard to answer since this is such an imperfect world. The best answer: that's just the way it is/was.

Victor: It is certainly true that there are two sides to the story. The Aztecs in particular, were pretty cruel in war and human sacrifices. When I read the post that I responded to, it was an emotional decision to post some of the "other side", just for the record. Also, I just finished reading an American Indian tribal anthropology (about the US Tribes) and it is still fresh on my mind.

What has always rung my chimes was how we (whites) systematically eliminated most indian culture, customs and language. However, I realize that this is a common reflection of earlier European Colonialism throughout the world, including the British and French in North America. I worked in India and P.R. of China extensively and heard (and read) about their experiences with British and German Colonialism. Fully well realizing that their own governments have often mistreated their people in these countries (i.e. Mao's, Cultural Revolution).

Maybe the "evil" in colonialism is the attitude that regards native peoples as "less than human".

re: Maybe the "evil" in colonialism is the attitude that regards native peoples as "less than human".

You hit the nail on the head. One can take advantage of someone else only if "the mark" is regarded as somehow a lesser person. This is true for con artists, some coin dealers spotting a "sucker", slavery, and a thousand other examples.