• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2009 Lincoln Cent Designs Released

24 posts in this topic

The companies under contract to produce the cent blanks will smooze the legislators into keeping the cent...it maybe just a lowely 1 cent piece, but it's still big business.

The Mint estimates that it costs $0.0127 cents to produce each cent in 2008. The Mint loses money on every cent but makes up for it in volume. Illinois is a powerful state politically and Abe Lincoln is their favorite son. So I guess that the Mint will keep making cents. Plus, with the new Red Dog mine in Alaska, the US is the largest producer of zinc of which a significant percentage is used in producing Lincoln cents.

I have a rather dry sense of humor and many miss it occasionally. I would expect that cents will continue but will be made of copper plated, steel after 2009.

I like the change but then more whoopla will be involved. I can see these starting another Early Release designation, extra log on the cabin error, extra windows in buildings errors (for those that take the time to disect these things), etc...

I have a rather dry sense of humor and many miss it occasionally. I would expect that cents will continue but will be made of copper plated, steel after 2009.

While my own hopes are that the cent is discontinued after 2009, I don't think anything will actually change: Whichever candidate is elected this November, I sincerely doubt that re-doing our coinage system is going to be able to be pushed through in the first year of a presidency.

While my own hopes are that the cent is discontinued after 2009, I don't think anything will actually change: Whichever candidate is elected this November, I sincerely doubt that re-doing our coinage system is going to be able to be pushed through in the first year of a presidency.

Yes, with all the problems the country is facing, that's what we want them to be discussing and passing legislation about: coins.

Yes, with all the problems the country is facing, that's what we want them to be discussing and passing legislation about: coins.

Actually debate and voting on coin legislation is very likely. Look at the past actions of our Congress when faced with tough problems and controversial decisions, standard procedure is to delay of table the matter and hope it goes away while they fill up their time debating and voting on minor matters. When the major things HAVE to be addressed, they delay as long as they can and then pass a temporary fix that throws money at it and then pass the buck to a future Congress.

I like the change but then more whoopla will be involved. I can see these starting another Early Release designation, extra log on the cabin error, extra windows in buildings errors (for those that take the time to disect these things), etc...

Given the location of Abe's hand on die 2 I can see a doubled hand somewhere in the future.

If things go right that is.

Those uncirculated mint and proof sets next year are going to be pretty hefty! :eek:

ooohhh , that's right...geez the Mint sets are going to become real back-breakers with all the weight not to mention wallet-busters when it comes time to pay for what...how many coins 31 or 35 something?

3 , 4 , 1 , 2 ...that's how they should distribute them.

3 -the Capitol as this begins.

( I know it's Illinois's , but what American kid or adult is gonna know or be able to tell ...they'll just think it is a small version of the US capitol , so just play along , don't hurt their heads with more knowledge on coins versus in schools where it belongs but isn't being taught ....)

4- disassembly starts in order to sell off parts to pay for coining.

1-New Capitol building ! Using cheaper wood .

then

2- finally , the politicians sitting on logs studying a book on how to govern and manage finances.

:insane:

I actually like them , anyway they come out. Man the kids at the Wal-Mart checkouts are going to need a poster to know what is real coinage and what isn't...it's a counterfeiter's dream that we have soo many different versions of coins circulating that no one outside of collectors would have a clue about what is a real US coin or not real anymore these days , eh.

MAN ! EUREKA !!!

Now I know what to do with all those brass mint tokens from the mint sets !! I could just spend them and say they are the new 'Alphabet" Cents ...starting with letters P and D ....who would know they weren't part of some kind of new 50 thousand something coin series from the Mint that puts out like Ho's in a Ho-house! I got buckets of those things... :insane:

Hideous descrations of a time-honored coin. Collectors everywhere should feel insulted by this garbage being put out by the U.S. Mint.

I really, truly feel sorry for those folks who will be new coin collectors in fifty years or so. Can you believe today's junk will be considered "classic" someday?

lol

Hideous descrations of a time-honored coin. Collectors everywhere should feel insulted by this garbage being put out by the U.S. Mint.

I really, truly feel sorry for those folks who will be new coin collectors in fifty years or so. Can you believe today's junk will be considered "classic" someday?

lol

In 50 years they'll be putting modern art on coins. :) And you know how that looks.

lol

In 50 years they'll be putting modern art on coins. :) And you know how that looks.

Ewww...like French coins ...ugh.

Except for an on-going pursuit to fill in the holes in my inherited modest collection (IH cents, nickels, etc) I mostly collect stuff I obtain from the mint, just to keep current for my future inheritor.

I had been long looking forward to the new one cent design for 2009. I could keep it all straight: 1909, the 100 yr celebration of his birth, 1959, the 150th. But when I saw the new designs I was put off that there will be four versions, each equally bland.

The several new nickel designs commemorating the Westward Expansion gave me fits a few years back, just keeping up....now this

I much prefer the bygone custom of just ONE new design when changing.. Back then, a change was a milestone. Wheat to Memorial, Buff to Jefferson, Merc to Roosevelt, etc.

I am a metal detectorist, I teach my wife about coins while we hunt. Barber. Indian Head, Standing Liberty, Franklin. Now, I can't keep up. Guess it's marketing, more bucks for the mint? It puts me off.. It's like 10 flavors of coke and pepsi.