• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So, I am living in one of the mint's test markets...

14 posts in this topic

...for the new $1 coin, and it's interesting. I have seen a number of TV commercials and dozens of billboard on buses (it seems like every bus has one) touting the positives of using the dollar coin, mainly that it's good for the envirionment, lasts a long time and is 100% recyclable, yet I have not seen a single one of these coins in circulation (though I did find 2 rolls of Jackson dollars at one bank after asking at several banks). So is this all we can expect from the $12 million ad campaign?

They could give someone like me $1,000 worth of them along with a 3day/3night trip to Las Vegas.

Chris

Same here. Not sure if they work in the slot machines but would definitly get them converted to chips. They also make good tip money. I always take a roll or two with me when I go.

They could give someone like me $1,000 worth of them along with a 3day/3night trip to Las Vegas.

Chris

Same here. Not sure if they work in the slot machines but would definitly get them converted to chips. They also make good tip money. I always take a roll or two with me when I go.

I wouldn't use them for gambling. I'd be looking for one of those machines in which you can insert a coin and have your initials or a date stamped on it. Do you think I could sell them for $10 apiece if I had them embossed with "HRH"? lol

Chris

I wish they'd give up with these or just do it right. Enough already! Lose the bill and come out with some good designs on the dollar coin.

Dead on assessment! "Test market" is just another BS phrase for wasted taxes. Either dump the paper dollar or stop making dollar coins.

My parents live in Charlotte, another test market. They have not seen much in advertisements. I wrote about it here, in my blog.

Scott :hi:

I live in the Charlotte area and have seen the TV commercials but have not received any back as change. I have given some out as tip money and used them at fast food restaurant's.

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

No amount of money spent on marketing will make dollar coins circulate. Only discontinuance of dollar notes will make that happen, but no one in Congress wants to hear that.

Originally Posted By: physics-fan3.14

Hey, what more do you want? Cheerleaders?

How many is $1,000 worth of cheerleaders?

So is this all we can expect from the $12 million ad campaign?

Pretty much.

They are pulling out all the stops now! This morning as I was getting ready for work, the local Fox morning news had Edwin Moy on live to talk about the dollars and the marketing campaign, I didn't see the whole thing, but he basically said you could get them at all the banks in the area as they are well stocked. Afterwards, the weather guy said something about wanting them to bring back the $2 bill, even though it never really left...

It is a waste of money. I doubt it will work.

The natural thing is to get rid of money you like least and save the stuff you like the most. People, rational or not, prefer dollar bills. They must be allowed to wear out to get dollar coins in use.

There are new, nicely colored, $5, $10 and $20 bills. When I get cash from the ATM I arrange my $20s so any old ones are spent first.

I wish the gov't would just stop printing $1 bills. The death knell for dollar coins will be the release of a new colorful $1 bill. However we can avoid spending millions on advertising and save even more by stop printing new $1 bills.