• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rainy Saturday guess the grade and Overton!

10 posts in this topic

Well, there is a Hurricane in Texas and it's been raining all day here in Michigan, so since I just picked this one up at the local show I thought I'd share the fun!

65515.jpg.cd489b0e5c520a0aab261b4ac60289b4.jpg

65516.jpg.47e14323d9fe86bac997656ea4a52146.jpg

Good morning, jtryka.

I am going with O-105 too. The points I matched were:

L on the LIBERTY is slightly set to to right on the ribbon end, the E PLURIBUS UNUM placement matches with the Overton 105 photo and finally, there is an open place in the milling at star 12. I believe it is a nice example of Obverse 5, Reverse E. I can't tell from your photo if the second S in States is recut (as Overton states). Grade...I'm comfortable with XF 45.

RI AL

Thanks everyone, it's still raining, so I guess you all can keep guessing/submitting opinions! There is no right answer since there is no TPG opinion to compare with, but I tend to agree on the O-105 designation, for many of the reasons RI AL gave. The second S does look recut, though not as obvious as some I've seen, this one has a clear recut of the top serif and the lower curve, but not much else. Perhaps I'll try to get a closeup later.

firstly, I like this coin very much. The detail that remains, the surfaces and the color. I'd agree with the O-105 (R.2 per BHNC), 7th in the emission sequence for that year. I took out Peterson and he shows a gap between the denticles to the right and below of the arm pointing outwards of star 12, as a hallmark for this die marriage.

I'd grade it a 40 without having examined it more closely, as it could be higher.