• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT: Please heed the Warnings and MOVE inland GALVESTON,TX !

16 posts in this topic

I know Revenant is in the Galveston Area and asked that he may be paying for an auction late as he is heeding the warnings of Evacuation of the Galveston Area

PLEASE DO NOT THINK YOU CAN RIDE IT OUT GALVESTON,TEXAS

Move inland as directed.

Who here is in the Galveston area - And Please say you are moving inland ... ???

Sadly there are just too many of us to run. With 6 Million people in Houston/Galveston we'd flood the roads. Only the people in danger of the storm surge, like the areas surrounding my home, were required to evacuate. The rest of the area has mostly been told to shelter in place. The 50% of people that stayed on Galveston island? They're fools. If you aren't at 30ft+ then you're dead.

My family left the house last night. I'm staying in my college dorm. It isn't built so much as poured in place. Our primary concerns will be rain and winds which in this area could be as much as 80 mph (90 miles inland), more than enough to knock out power. I'm sorta on a hill. My dorm has never flooded but the area around us acts like a moat and we become a temporary island.

I can't believe the reporters are constantly talking about their freaking gas prices.....

I've got a refugee from Houston staying with me here in Lafayette. We're supposed to get some wind and rain, but not too bad. Funny thing is, he's who I stayed with last week when Gustav came my way. Haha.

My Brother and his Family live in Victoria Texas which is near Corpus but it looks like it won't be a big threat to Corpus. My Mother lives right on the Gulf of Mexico but is in the Southern most tip next to South Padre Island. Galveston is going to get it bad unless there is a miracle.They showed some pictures and even with Ike being 200 miles away there is water breaking over the 17 foot sea wall.

Good Luck to the People in Texas.

As time prevailed, it looked more and more like Ike was taking aim at Corpus Christi, so plywood was taken out, windows boarded, generator topped off and in working order, hurricane supplies accumulated and most of all, an evacuation plan.

We reserved rooms in Eagle Pass, Texas, way out there along the Texas/Mexico boarder. We have already cancelled the reservations this morning (Friday) so that others who are required to leave under a mandatory evacuation might have a place to stay.

I can't believe we here in this coastal town are going to dodge the bullet once again...one of these times our number will be up. I only hope that our northern neighbors from Freeport to Galveston are spared a category 3 or 20-25 foot storm surge...that's a whole bunch of water with no where to go except in-land.

We here in Corpus Christi only expect Tropical Storm conditions depending on landfall. We are now out of the landfall cone but are still under hurricane warnings but it looks like overkill on the the part of NOAA, just incase.

Thanks for your concerns. This is all part of living in tropical areas, the uncertainity of Mother Nature...at least we can run from the dangers and this is not the time to take any chances.

~Woody~

Note: My wife was making a list and asked me what I wanted to take along if we had to evacuate...my relpy was quite simple, Coins & Guns

It's like I told my step-father. Houston thought Dolly might hit us hard, but she didn't. Then It was Eduardo, but he only glanced at us. Then Gustav missed up. This entire season it's been like nature has been trying to find some way to hit Houston. The 4th storm is the charm.

Houston can't complain too much though. We haven't been struck by a major storm since I was born.

Note: My wife was making a list and asked me what I wanted to take along if we had to evacuate...my relpy was quite simple, Coins & Guns

Yes, samiliar situation here. I just told my sister to place some other things on top of my bed to get them another couple of feet off the ground. The coins though, they left.

They sandbagged the local post office before we could claim a package. So hopefully it'll still be there next week.

Yes, samiliar situation here. I just told my sister to place some other things on top of my bed to get them another couple of feet off the ground. The coins though, they left.

They sandbagged the local post office before we could claim a package. So hopefully it'll still be there next week.

I really hope the package wasn't that 1794 MS-62 dollar you bought the other day. Cause that would suck.

Well here in Pollok we're bracing for Ike. Suppose to hit us with sustained 80 mph wind tomorrow. I may not be on the boards after this evening when the storm hits. we're expected to lose power for a while. I'm fixin to go out and try to tie my harley and bbq pit down. Not much else I can do with anything but just hope. We'll holler back later on.

I live in Orange Texas and they called for a mandatory evacuation yesterday at 7 am. I am now at my daughters house and Austin. I hope everyone one got out safely.

I love family. I have aunts and uncles calling because they're worried that I might be out a few creature comforts (net and cable) for a day or two when they're closer to the storm than I am. They just don't seem to get that I'm going to be fine. I've survived worse before in this dorm.