• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

You WILL NOT believe my latest acquisition!!!

94 posts in this topic

Looks counterfeit to me.

And what, sir, are your credentials for making such a claim? ;) Please indicate with initials after your name. :whistle:

Begging your kind pardon, Sir, I shall do so now!

James Garcia, O.C.D.C.D.G.

(Official Coin Display Case De-Greaser)

Looks counterfeit to me.

And what, sir, are your credentials for making such a claim? ;) Please indicate with initials after your name. :whistle:

Begging your kind pardon, Sir, I shall do so now!

James Garcia, O.C.D.C.D.G.

(Official Coin Display Case De-Greaser)

Could it be that the grease was on your fingers in the first place?

I think James deserves a nickname. I'd like to suggest that we call him "Coin Dog".

Chris

It's better to give information in bits and pieces to waste everyone's time. ;)
That was quite funny, considering the thread that led to your response above. (thumbs u

On a more serious note, however, thus far, this thread has served as another good example of why it is better to provide as many relevant facts/details as possible. For all we know, the original poster might have a perfectly valid claim and deserve considerable empathy. But, because there is a lot of missing information, most of the replies have been other than sympathetic. That might be a shame, or as it should be, depending on "the rest of the story".

Less than sympathetic. You guys tied this guy to a tree and beat him unmercifully with the branches. He has two posts and based on the reaction of the board members, I would be willing to bet he never makes it to double digits.

He is a new member in need of guidance not attacks. The OP should have provided more information in his post, but he is obviously not aware of the etiquette related to this forum. Additionally, maybe he signs all of his correspondence with PHD. We can't assume that he did that to lend credibility to his claim.

All this thread has accomplished is to run off a fellow numismatist by making it very clear that he is not welcome here.

PS. I am just giving my opinion and am not claiming to be mature enough not to engage it what is IMO juvenile behavior.

Paul, CHA

I agree Paul.....

This is a guy that was frazzled and looking for an ear. I'm sure he joined up here because he was looking for some direction.

While certainly not the norm, I was a little surprised when reading this thread.

Paul

That was quite funny, considering the thread that led to your response above. (thumbs u

On a more serious note, however, thus far, this thread has served as another good example of why it is better to provide as many relevant facts/details as possible. For all we know, the original poster might have a perfectly valid claim and deserve considerable empathy. But, because there is a lot of missing information, most of the replies have been other than sympathetic. That might be a shame, or as it should be, depending on "the rest of the story".

Less than sympathetic. You guys tied this guy to a tree and beat him unmercifully with the branches. He has two posts and based on the reaction of the board members, I would be willing to bet he never makes it to double digits.

He is a new member in need of guidance not attacks. The OP should have provided more information in his post, but he is obviously not aware of the etiquette related to this forum. Additionally, maybe he signs all of his correspondence with PHD. We can't assume that he did that to lend credibility to his claim.

All this thread has accomplished is to run off a fellow numismatist by making it very clear that he is not welcome here.

PS. I am just giving my opinion and am not claiming to be mature enough not to engage it what is IMO juvenile behavior.

Paul, CHA

I'm gonna have to agree with Paul here. There were some details that seem to have been left out from the OP, but as we all have been at one time or another, when you're upset at something, usually some details are left out. Yes thye coin pictured here is in pretty bad shape, but even I wouldn't thionk that a coin would break in half. I've never seen that done before. Bend maybe, but break?? Maybe when he calms down from his ordeal, he will return and try to explain better.

Bobby, JMO

You guys tied this guy to a tree and beat him unmercifully with the branches.

Paul, CHA

Shucks, Paul, it was just a weeping willow tree.

Seriously though, if you walked into a coin shop for the first time and began by telling the dealer that you saw nothing but junk in his case, how long do you think it would take him before he asked you to leave and never return?

Daryl is more than welcome here, but I think he needs an attitude adjustment.

Chris

Paul, CHA

Seriously though, if you walked into a coin shop for the first time and began by telling the dealer that you saw nothing but junk in his case, how long do you think it would take him before he asked you to leave and never return?

Chris

That analogy seems off base to me. The OP complained about one incident and that's a far cry from "telling the dealer that you saw nothing but junk in his case".

I don't think a single comment on this thread has been out of line. Everyone is more than willing to give their input, only if they had more info. I'd certainly like to hear the rest of the story.

If the coin is the one shown, it appears to already have some feature that looks like a crack. Maybe this is from the extensive corrosion? We need more information.

C. Robbins CMfgE, MBA

hmmmmmm. I can't think of anything to say other than that I hope the OP divulges more information. And that some of the posters here are blessed with good senses of humor. ;)

Daniel Hatter, YFCDH

(your fancy college degree here)

Paul, CHA

Chris

That analogy seems off base to me. The OP complained about one incident and that's a far cry from "telling the dealer that you saw nothing but junk in his case".

Mark, it is no more off-base, than Daryl's claim, "Did you know that NGC won't ..........." and it is exactly the comparison I was making. Did the person in the coin shop actually inspect all of the dealer's merchandise? If not, why didn't he ask the dealer about any other inventory before making such an inflammatory statement? In Daryl's case, he should be discussing this with NGC before coming here and lambasting them. If, in fact, he has already spoken to them, then he should have provided us with their response rather than give us just his version of the incident.

Also, you will notice that he has not made any further posts. If he realizes that his actions may have been a bit premature, he could always "stand up like a man" and admit his mistake. My God, what is so hard about that? Geez, I've had to pull my foot out of my mouth more than once. I don't even have to polish my shoes any more.

Chris

The point I am trying to make in this posting is what is contained in the link - http://www.ncscoin.com/auth_grading/guarantee.asp - in the first email. You don't have any insurance. They don't have any responsibility if they damage the coin. Read the link. I, as well as many people, don't know this. We should I guess but we don't.

So if you submit a $100,000 coin and they destroy it, they don't have to do anything but say they are sorry. That's it and that's my point.

I posted it here in the US coins so it would get some exposure to communicate this information. Yes, I did post it in the world coin section. But my purpose there was different than what it is here.

As far as insurance for the estimated value on the form, there is no insurance for the estimated value. That is just how they determine the price to charge for the conservation. That's it. You have NO COVERAGE. As far as what I put. I put an estimated value of 800 Euros as I thought that was fair before it was conserved.

The coin is an 1819 Willem I silver 5 cent piece. A VERY collectible coin set here in the Netherlands. Yes it is dirty but all who looked at it said that the silver used for the coins of Willem I was high quality and it should be relatively easy to remove the surface contamination.

As far as the information I sent to NCS and there reponses, here you go:

Daryl,

I assure you there is no humor in our offer. It is an offer based on several factors. First, we received valuation based on the examination of dealers with coin “in hand”. Second, our auction record research affirms the valuation placed on this coin. Third, please refer to the NCS guarantee as to the manner in which these types of circumstances are handled, http://www.ncscoin.com/auth_grading/guarantee.asp.

Regards,

Craig Fiumara

Numismatic Conservation Services

Operations Manager

Phone 866-627-2646 Ext. 145

Fax 941-360-2559

CraigF@NCScoin.com

-------------------------------------------------------

Daryl,

After careful consideration regarding the circumstances with you submission, we have decided that $500 US plus the return of the coin in its current state would fairly compensate you in regards to this submission.

Thank you,

Craig Fiumara

Numismatic Conservation Services

Operations Manager

Phone 866-627-2646 Ext. 145

Fax 941-360-2559

CraigF@NCScoin.com

------------------------------------------------------

Hi Chris,

I just sent you probably the best information we will get about the coin. The dealer is from the Netherlands. Has no vested interest in the coin. Has seen the condition of the coin. Does not know me. He currently lists the coin.

I know you probably discussed all this yesterday but this new information may help.

Thank you for helping me.

Daryl

----------------------------------------------

Hi Chris,

I finally got someone who lists the coin in their current catalog. He has seen the coin. He is willing to send me the information. YEAH!!! It is the best benchmark I think we will find. His price is a MINIMUM so I guess we should go from there.

Thanks,

Daryl

Here it is!

Subject: RE: Website - Contact opnemen

Date: September 9, 2008 9:22:12 AM GMT+02:00

To: d.adams@mnsu.edu

Dear Daryl,

The coin is in catalog when it is 1819 around an 2500 euro minimum.

Do you have more Netherlands coins? Because for the Netherlands market it is not nessecary to slab this coins to get an good price.

Best regards,

Johan de Ruiter

--------------------------------------------

Hi Chris,

I heard back from a contact on one of the European metal detecting forums I try and participate in. It is in Dutch so I have to have help from a local friend to get things posted and understand the replies. I was discussing the coin on the site and one of the members sent me a private message. He has a friend who has been in the European coin business for quite a long time and specializes in rare circulated European coins. There a quite a few coins minted in Europe and around the world in very small numbers but are not meant to be circulated and are not really circulating currency. he does not deal with these. He deals strictly with coins that are the currency used by the population of the time. He knows his business. Here is what he said (Translated from French to German):

Lieber Stanley,

Es ist zu ihr von Ihnen gut. Ich denke, dass ich in der Lage sein konnte, etwas Licht auf der Münze zu verschütten, die Sie mich ungefähr fragten. I don' t-Unterhalt alle Auktionkataloge von allen Auktionen um die Welt. Es ist eine zu große Aufgabe. Ich nehme Kenntnisse von den Auktionkatalogen, die auf den Münzen beziehen, die auf meinem Geschäft beziehen. Von meinen Anmerkungen gab es ein Silber 1819 Willem-vor I, das ein 5-Cent-Stück fast 2 Jahren verkaufte. Es war spät 2006 oder früh 2007. Die Münze war im in guter Verfassung, hatte irgendein Oberflächenlochfraß und etwas helle Korrosion. Dieser Verkauf sollte von etwas Hilfe aber möglicherweise nicht vom besten Hinweis sein. Die Auktion wurde nicht in den Niederlanden gehalten. Ich denke, dass sie in Österreich war. Der Katalog war nicht auf Holländer. Die Bewerberlache kann möglicherweise nicht große die gewesen sein. Ein viel besseres Beispiel würde eine gut-annoncierte Auktion in den Niederlanden sein, aber ich kann keine Verkäufe von dort finden. Der abschließende Preis zum Kunden dieser Münze betrug 1900 Euro einschließlich buyer' s-Prämie und Steuern. Der Markt für Münzen so hat sich seit diesem Verkauf erhöht. Die Münze ist gerade härter zu finden, da die mit gutem Detail bereits verkauft worden sind und nicht auf den Markt zurückkommen. Ich würde denken, dass der Markt um ungefähr 50% zugenommen hat und wenn er sich verdoppelt, die alten Münzen noch einmal vorhanden sind. Ich hoffe, dass dieses hilft. Es ist aller, den ich Ihnen erklären kann.

Herzlichst,

Helmut

My contact says the gist of the communication is that there was a 1819 Willem I silver 5 cent piece that was in good shape with some pitting and corrosion that sold in late 2006 or early 2007. With all the fees and taxes paid, the final price was about 1900 Euros. The auction was not held in the Netherlands where the interest may have been a bit higher. It also says that the market has increased a good bit since this sale as most of the good coins seem to have been sold. The price now would be close to 2700 - 3000 Euros. He expects the good quality coins to reappear when the price doubles and people will take their profit.

This seems to fit other information. If a dealer buys a coin for around 2000 Euros, they have to expect some level of return from an auction. I don't think any dealer that would buy this coin would keep it in the shop. It would go into a good auction. I don't know what a dealer would expect to get as a return. That's more in your area.

As far as what I think, a fair price for me would be somewhere between what a dealer would pay as a wholesale price and what it would bring at auction. I'm not trying to be unrealistic. I'm just saying this is the way I see it. I just want things to be fair for both sides. I want to get this resolved ASAP. I just can't deal with it. It has me too upset.

I would say that if what I have been finding and communicating to you is reasonable, we will be done with this in 3-4 emails. I don't want to dance around on this. Let's just get it done and move on.

I am not mad at anyone. I don't think you were reckless or careless. I just think accidents happen. We all carry some form of insurance to cover these events. It is not there to be used as a "cash cow." It is there to make things right.

Again, I hope this helps at least a little.

Daryl

-------------------------------------------------------

Subject: RE: Coin Information

Date: August 22, 2008 12:19:36 PM GMT+02:00

To: d.adams@mnsu.edu

Dear Mr. Adams,

Thank you for your e-mail. Not that much to tell about the coin, but I'll

try. It's a silver 5 ct. 1819 struck in Utrecht. Mintmastersign flaming torch,

3.000 peaces struck.

Buying price about 1500/2000 euro (= 2200/3000 dollars).

If you want to sell the coin, please visit the shop, or send us the coin by

registered mail.

Best Regards,

Gerard Dresken

-------------------------------------------------

Hi Chris,

Just some more information that I have collected. This has me so messed up I can't sleep so I might as well do something that might be constructive.

Coin collecting in Europe is as strong or stronger for certain sets of coins. From what I can gather, the coins from some of the Kings (like Willem I) are strongly desirable as they can be found and a set put together. Much like out Lincoln cents, Roosevelt Dimes, Jefferson Nickels, etc.

In most sets there is a key date. One that is hard to find and most people trying to put together a set will seek these coins out and will pay a real premium for that key date in a condition that matches closely what they already have.

I know you are WELL aware of these numbers but I thought listing the key dates of some commonly collected coins with their mintage would be useful to see. It boggles my mind what they would bring if there were only 3000 ever made.

1909-S V.D.B. ONE CENT

Mintage: Circulation strikes: 484,000

1916-D - Mercury Dime

Mintage: Circulation strikes 264,000

1921 - Peace Dollar

Mintage: Circulation strikes 1,006,473

1928 - Peace Dollar

Mintage: Circulation strikes: 360,649

Just some comparisons for price versus numbers minted. I believe almost all the prices realized for these coins were at auction and the auction estimates sort of "flew out the window." I believe also that if one of my coins became available, the estimate would be just a wild guess.

Thanks for all the help. I'm glad you guys are the experts and have the knowledge to figure this out and your company has the integrity to develop a "real-life" value of a rare coin that has so few sales.

Daryl

------------------------------------------

Hi Chris,

Just some more information that I think will have an impact on the coin.

I contacted 2 very large auction houses here in Europe to inquire about sales of a coin like this one. One would let me use their name and the other said they would not authorize the use of their name because they don't usually provide this type of service. When I explained the situation, they said they would help but just as a special favor.

I contacted Christie's Auction house and talked with their expert in European coins with special interest/expertise in coins from the Netherlands. The other auction house was in the UK and holds probably the best and most widely advertised rare coin auctions in the UK and Europe.

They both told me the same thing. They said that according to their database, this coin has not been offered on the market for at least the last 5 years in any condition. That's a long time.

You may have more/better contacts but for me, that the best I can do. Having both tell me the same thing leads me to believe it is a really rare occasion for this coin to come on the market. Who knows, there may be less than 100 left in all the collections out there and they may all be "slick as a button."

You're going to have to figure this one out and I'm going to have to trust that you and your insurance company treat me like the person I'm trying to be. Upfront and not trying to raise hell with anyone.

Thanks for the help,

Daryl

Now that I have read both sides of the story, it seems to me the disagreement here is in the valuation of the coin. NGC says $500USD, Daryl thinks $900EU -- a big difference. What's the right/fair answer? Probably the US whoesale value in its original pre-conserved state. How much money is that? I have no idea.

Respectfully...Mike

babble fish German to English=It is good to it from you. I think that I could be able, for burying something light on the coin which you asked me approximately. I don' T-maintenance all auction catalogs of all auctions around the world. It is a too large task. I take knowledge of the auction catalogs, which refer on the coins, which refer on my business. From my notes there was a silver 1819 Willem before I, which a 5-Cent-Stück sold to nearly 2 years. It was late 2006 or early 2007. The coin was in good condition, had any surface pitting corrosion and something bright corrosion. This sale possibly should not be from something assistance however from the best reference. The auction was not held in the Netherlands. I think that she was in Austria. The catalog was not on dutchmen. The applicant puddle cannot have been possibly large. A much better example would be an good-announced auction in the Netherlands, but I cannot find sales from there. The concluding price to the customer of this coin amounted to 1900 euros including buyer' S-premium and taxes. The market for coins increased in such a way since this sale. The coin is to be found harder straight, since with good detail were already sold and not to the market return. I would think that the market increased by approximately 50% and if it doubles itself, which are again present old coins. I hope that this helps. It is everything, which I can explain to you.

If the EURO keeps going down someone will loss or win I guess

Interesting.

The OP first post would lead you to belive that NCS offered zero, which is clearly not the case. Given the VF Krause value is $600 (per one of the posters to this thread), the $500 offer is probably right. They are probably not obligated to offer more, but perhaps they should add $100 to $200 or so to compensate the OP for his inconvenience.

If I were NCS, I would be tempted just to give him $1,000 to make him go away, but that could set a bad precedent.

Interesting.

The OP first post would lead you to belive that NCS offered zero, which is clearly not the case. Given the VF Krause value is $600 (per one of the posters to this thread), the $500 offer is probably right. They are probably not obligated to offer more, but perhaps they should add $100 to $200 or so to compensate the OP for his inconvenience.

If I were NCS, I would be tempted just to give him $1,000 to make him go away, but that could set a bad precedent.

I agree with Connecticoin. A five hundred dollar offer seems fair to me.

Zach

Since he did not insure the coin for the proper value - The offer is fair.

I myself experienced this type of problem and also spouted off BEFORE they (NGC) actually offered me a satisfactory resolve to my problem. I need to provide proof of me buying a replacement coin in SAME condition and use that as a basis for payment.

In Your case SAME condition may be a problem -THUS you cannot use past auction results as a basis of your claim because condition of coins sold inthe past does nto apply to your worn pitted and corroded piece.

Did you provide a invioce on WHAT you paid ??? I am sure there offer is well above that :) Tell them you would be happy with a few hundred more and be done with it and move on ... BUT YOU WANT THE COIN BACK. I was not offered this option with my settlement.

Perhaps a mettalurgist can splice the thing back together and someone will purchase it as a hole filler - probably pay a good penny for it too.

or better yet get it spliced back to gether and have NGC put it in a slab as "GENUINE" ... hmm there is an Idea :)

My latest acquisition is one that I believe NONE of you would want.

I recently submitted a general circulation silver coin of extremely low mintage - 3000 minted - to NCS for conservation, authentication, over the NGC for grading and slabbing. I had offers of over $3,000 before conservation and I thought it would be a good thing to do. Maybe improve the value??

Well, my new acquisition is two halves of the coin!!! When NCS was encapsulating the coin, something malfunctioned and they broke the coin in half!!!

Did you know that they will not pay you for the value of the coin? Did you know they won't replace the coin?

I am posting this because I think as many people as possible should know that when you submit a coin, you are really on your own. If they break it, they don't have to buy it. Not a good thing.

Sincerely,

D. Daryl Adams, Ph.D.

The truth of the matter is the op listed 800 Euros as the value of the coin (which btw is = $1,100 U.S.) and NGC offered $500 U.S. and the return of the actual submission. If it were me and I filled out the paperwork, I would have put down $3k since that is what the op now thinks it is worth after the fact. Another issue is getting values from dealers sight unseen should be rather difficult in the respect that since this coin appears to have been dug up one can't compare the value to coins that were not dug up. If i am reading this right, $3k is for a coin's value out of an auction where the coin was not a detector find. I am assuming he wanted NCS to conserve it to better its condition becasue it looked like what it was, detector find ie dug up. NCS coincidently seems to be offering the op 50% of what the op said it was worth, i am not saying that they are right or wrong, but they have the coin to show to their World experts.

From reading the op's account one would have came away with the understanding that NCS will give a submitter zero for a coin that they destroyed. If I were a submitter of a dug up coin and submitted it to NCS, I know very well that there is a chance it can be screwed up in the conserving process because of the nature of the task. There can't be a guarantee that they won't hurt the coin, all they can do is try to enhance it but at the submitters risk . We all know that cleaning a coin can cause it to have problems, that is an inherent risk. However that being said, I would think it is up to the op to prove value. If he thought it was worth $3k when submitted he should have stated that, I am not saying that it would have made a difference because one can say anything, it should have to be substantiated through invoice and current valuations. I assume if it is dug up one won't have an invoice, therefore estimates of value shouldn't be too difficult since NGC/NCS handles world coins, and since they have the coin in their possession it should be easy to figure out. Unfortunately we all think our coins are worth more than they actually are, and that is why I find it suspect that op originally submitted paperwork stating value of subject coin being worth 800 euros ($1,100 U.S) and when coin is mishandled the value then triples.

Edited to add: OP states that this is the coin pictured by a poster here that op admittedly originally posted on the World Forum for other reasons. I find it strange that on this board he wouldn't post the photo of the coin from the get go, in fact I find it odd that he posted little to no info regarding the subject coin but only stated a clearly one-sided (his carefully embelished version) incorrect statement obviously motivated to change NGC's mind about a valuation issue that he clearly handled incorrectly from the get go and is now trying to back track to influence NGC to increase their offer. I for one don't appreciate this kind of argument and feel that most here saw through op's original intent regarding his post. If it sounds like I am a little ticked off it is because I am. I don't appreciate this type of manipulation, he obviously had more info and chose to withhold it because it hurt his case.. Of all the collectors he should know better about detector finds and their subsequent lower values than if it weren't a dug up coin, shame on him.

I agree...the OP did make it seem like the coin was destroyed and NGC was not willing to pay him one red cent. Now more of the truth comes out and we see that the OP is valuing the coin as if it were a nice problem free example.......not going to happen hm

The coin was damaged before it was submitted and could not be worth anywhere near the listed krause prices so 50% of the original value assigned by the OP certainly seems like a reasonable offer to me.... (shrug)

Heck, I'm still trying to figure out how one breaks a coin in half. Silver is fairly maluable (sp) and should bend long before it breaks. That leads me to believe there was some issue with the coin well before NCS got a hold of it.

In my opinion, NCS is doing perfectly right by this guy. $500 seems very fair, and he is getting the coin back. Seems to me like he just wants more money, and he's going to put up a big stink and try and justify it with higher grade, better condition examples. A dug up, encrusted, damaged coin is not going to garner much of a premium.

Krause is referenced a lot...as a collector whose collection consists of about 70% world coins I can tell you as a fact that krause prices are rarely accurate and quite often VERY far off...

recent example: while hunting for a Weimer Republic 1927A Bremerhaven ( germany) Krause lists a proof at $360...at the last Heritage World Coin sale this coin sold for over $3000...and I'm sure the price would have been much higher if sold in Europe or even specifically Germany...

Having said that though, with no evidence of offers to Dirt at his suggested value and the "damaged" nature of the coin...$500 seems fair--who knows if the corrosion potentially went through the coin and was not actually NCS's fault at all?

If you hand me a damaged object and it finally breaks completely while I'm holding it--you'd be lucky to get jack from me..

Heck, I'm still trying to figure out how one breaks a coin in half. Silver is fairly maluable (sp) and should bend long before it breaks. That leads me to believe there was some issue with the coin well before NCS got a hold of it.

I have a few questions. Here are two of them.

1. Was this really a detector find?

2. If so, was it already so corroded (fractured) that the ultrasonic sealing machine may have facilitated its splitting in half?

If this is the case, NCS would have less liability. Slabbing by any company, no matter how carefully done, may have done the coin in.

Shiroh 'Niichan pH 0.7

I guess if NGC had treated it much the same as a health insurance policy, they could have denied payment altogether under the "Pre-existing Conditions" clause. It is quite possible that NGC could have refused to attempt any conservation at all. However, since they chose to proceed with the undertaking, in my mind, they did the right thing.

I have to applaud NGC, and I only wish that all companies providing goods and services for the public had the same high standard of ethics.

Chris

This is my gut feel with regard to the value of the coin. With all due respect to the OP, the NGC compensation seems generous, if not exceptionally so. In both of my experiences with NGC, their compensation was exceedingly fair.

This is my gut feel with regard to the value of the coin. With all due respect to the OP, the NGC compensation seems generous, if not exceptionally so. In both of my experiences with NGC, their compensation was exceedingly fair.

Also with My Example they were willing to compensate me to my liking but I had to do some foot work to get it as I did not put the proper insurance value on the coin.

Mike M.A.S.E. L1