• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

You WILL NOT believe my latest acquisition!!!

94 posts in this topic

My latest acquisition is one that I believe NONE of you would want.

I recently submitted a general circulation silver coin of extremely low mintage - 3000 minted - to NCS for conservation, authentication, over the NGC for grading and slabbing. I had offers of over $3,000 before conservation and I thought it would be a good thing to do. Maybe improve the value??

Well, my new acquisition is two halves of the coin!!! When NCS was encapsulating the coin, something malfunctioned and they broke the coin in half!!!

Did you know that they will not pay you for the value of the coin? Did you know they won't replace the coin?

I am posting this because I think as many people as possible should know that when you submit a coin, you are really on your own. If they break it, they don't have to buy it. Not a good thing.

Sincerely,

D. Daryl Adams, Ph.D.

I would like to hear from NGC/NCS on this to get their side of the story. Not that I dont believe you it is I have always believed NGC/NCS to be stand up people who make things right. (shrug)

I recently submitted a general circulation silver coin of extremely low mintage - 3000 minted - to NCS for conservation, authentication, over the NGC for grading and slabbing. I had offers of over $3,000 before conservation and I thought it would be a good thing to do. Maybe improve the value??

Well, my new acquisition is two halves of the coin!!! When NCS was encapsulating the coin, something malfunctioned and they broke the coin in half!!!

Did you know that they will not pay you for the value of the coin? Did you know they won't replace the coin?

I am posting this because I think as many people as possible should know that when you submit a coin, you are really on your own. If they break it, they don't have to buy it. Not a good thing.

Sincerely,

D. Daryl Adams, Ph.D.

I am very sorry to hear that, and I will withhold judgment, at least unless/until I hear the other side of the story. Curiously, what type of coin is it and what was the amount that you insured it for on the submission invoice?

When I read a post of this sort, I just scratch my head and say, op how can you leave out so much info that this post is completely worthless without additional facts such as:

why was the coin submitted to NCS, obviously something was wrong with the coin. Was it that it was about to split into two parts and you wanted NCS to stop it, but it was too fragile at that point. We don't know how you shipped it and we don't know the condition it was in during and after the shipping process. You also did not provide photos for us to peruse. All you do by this post is make accusations of a complaining nature where you may be justified in doing but without a full story you are basically forcing members here to question the story as unbelievable before you dotted the period of your final line. I expect more from a PHD, sorry to say it this way but you appeared to add PHD in your ending for a reason and I am assuming to lend credibility to your story yet your story is very lacking of what is needed to make it credible.

Sincerely,

D. Daryl Adams, Ph.D.

How about all of the information?

Sincerely,

TomB, Ph.D.

If the English piece on the red cloth is the coin that he submitted to NCS, I'm not sure what they could have done for him. The coin looks to be very corroded to me, and removal of the corrosion would have also removed a lot of the remaining detail.

One of customers has sent a lot of stuff to NCS. He says that for $5 they will review the piece and tell you if they can improve it. He’s had a few pieces that NCS told him they would not touch because there was nothing they could do. This coin looks like one that falls into that category IMO.

If this poster has a legitimate complaint, he needs to be more specific.

If the English piece on the red cloth is the coin that he submitted to NCS, I'm not sure what they could have done for him. The coin looks to be very corroded to me, and removal of the corrosion would have also removed a lot of the remaining detail.

The piece pictured is actually a 5 cent coin from the Netherlands, not English. Krause has it listed in VF as $600 and XF as $1200. I think, with proper conservation, that VF-30 might be a good grade (maybe a little generous), and thus I am highly skeptical of the $3k figure. I know Krause is wrong alot, but that's Very wrong.

I stand corrected on the country of origin. :insane:

At any rate I don't see how that piece could net grade to even VF-30 once the corrosion was removed. To me this is a dead coin. If you take the stuff of it, it's a dead coin that's been cleaned up. There not much you can do for it IMO.

It's better to give information in bits and pieces to waste everyone's time. ;)
That was quite funny, considering the thread that led to your response above. (thumbs u

On a more serious note, however, thus far, this thread has served as another good example of why it is better to provide as many relevant facts/details as possible. For all we know, the original poster might have a perfectly valid claim and deserve considerable empathy. But, because there is a lot of missing information, most of the replies have been other than sympathetic. That might be a shame, or as it should be, depending on "the rest of the story".

That was quite funny, considering the thread that led to your response above. (thumbs u

On a more serious note, however, thus far, this thread has served as another good example of why it is better to provide as many relevant facts/details as possible. For all we know, the original poster might have a perfectly valid claim and deserve considerable empathy. But, because there is a lot of missing information, most of the replies have been other than sympathetic. That might be a shame, or as it should be, depending on "the rest of the story".

I was wondering if you would catch that. :)

Good point, many folks have jobs and the new person who did the OP has not even been given a day to respond.

That said, this thread has potential. :D

I agree with everyone that failing to divulge all of the pertinent details does not lend credibility to your story. You aren't the first person who has made their "debut" on these boards by beginning to complain without, first, trying to get answers to rectify the (alleged) problem.

Chris Machuga, SoB

I agree with everyone that failing to divulge all of the pertinent details does not lend credibility to your story. You aren't the first person who has made their "debut" on these boards by beginning to complain without, first, trying to get answers to rectify the (alleged) problem.

Chris Machuga, SoB

Irvin LMAO 36_11_6.gif

World coin values aren't worth dirt. I just sold a 1928 Polish coin that was listed at $65. It sold for $327 on e-by. Had a guy offer me the $65 early on in the auction to buy it outright. :þ

VDE, RT(R,MR,CT)