• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

eBay moving to 100 % PayPal......

57 posts in this topic

That really stinks. I only hope that it shoots them in the foot by moving deals off the site.

Listed under improved check-out section......

Link

Paul

It just kills me that they propose this junk under the guise of listening to you, the seller......."Yes, we hear you....you want higher fees".....

They tried this in Australia as a test and the government there told them to foff.

I find myself using eBay less and less and enjoying life more and more.

Not really 100% Paypal but certainly electronic payments. No checks. No money orders. It's a shame.

They're also moving toward free shipping compliance for all vendors and sellers.

I've had success offering free USPS Priority/insurance (as the bids seem to cover the difference) but can imagine many other sellers in other areas having difficulty.

I agree with Greg. They give (removing neutrals toward your rating) and then take.

On an eBay message board I read the following,

"As soon as one eBay stupid truck is done dropping off its load, beep! beep! beep!... another one back in."

Ebay also was reported, according to an article in the newspaper, as saying that they are moving away from auctions altogether and hope to convert to 100% BIN within a year. All of this means that Ebay is no longer following the business model or niche strategy which made them successful in the first place.

if this is true then I have made my last ebay purchase.....

however I do have a list of 6 or 7 primary "favorite" sellers that I buy from--if I see something in their store for sale, I'm sure that I can just drop them a line and they will accept a money order ( and ebay will lose 100% of their sale fee--dipwads)

Can you fix the link?

Never mind, my Norton was running in the back ground.

symposium.jpg

Satire and not to be misconstrued as my concept of how I perceive these new ideas.

Ebay also was reported, according to an article in the newspaper, as saying that they are moving away from auctions altogether and hope to convert to 100% BIN within a year. All of this means that Ebay is no longer following the business model or niche strategy which made them successful in the first place.

I think this is a wonderful idea that may help unseat eBay as the premier auction site. eBay can concentrate on being just one of a million other websites sellers can list their stuff on and buyers will only buy there if it is the cheapest price. Pricegrabber.com, bestwebbuys.com, etc assure this strategy. Another company will come in and eat a big chunk of the auction market and in a year or so eBay will come back and spew marketing terms like "rebranding" and "core market" as they refocus on the auction side. Maybe we can finally have some true competition? I like eBay trying this idea. (thumbs u

I've been thinking about this thing today and it wouldn't surprise me if.........

This whole deal is getting perpetrated because of some kind of agreement that eBay has worked out with the Federal Government.

You know the Feds have been trying to get their claws into eBay for some time with regard to Income and Sales tax evasions. When ALL the numbers are electronic, they're just about a matter of public record. At least, as far as the Feds are concerned.......Like I said, it wouldn't surprise me.....

Paul

I agree, a very bad decision on Ebays part. I'm sure there will be a loss of revenue that will be noticed. Buyers will have to have a checking acct. that they are willing to give paypal acct. & routing numbers to, or have a credit card. This will not work for many buyers in the real world I'm sure!

This is what will be allowed and when.

Faster, more secure checkout experience

Paper payments end this October

Beginning late October 2008, all items listed on eBay.com must be paid for using one of the following approved payment options:

Direct credit or debit card payment via a merchant credit card account

PayPal

ProPay

Payment on pick-up

Paper payment methods such as checks and money orders will no longer be accepted on eBay.com.

By January 2009, all approved electronic payment methods will be integrated into eBay checkout. For example, buyers will be able to enter their credit card number directly into eBay checkout, and the payment will be routed to the seller's Internet merchant account or to their PayPal account.

Please note that the new payments policy will not apply to the vehicles categories in Motors, capital equipment categories in Business & Industrial, Mature Audiences and Real Estate.

Meeting expectations for online payments

Expectations for shopping and paying online have evolved since eBay was founded. People want consistent, secure and fast transactions. Offline payment methods are no longer suitable for online transactions. This opinion is shared by law enforcement and the financial services industry. The vast majority of ecommerce shoppers, including eBay buyers, now use online payment methods. On eBay.com over 90% of transactions are paid with online payment methods and the use of offline paper methods has declined by 40% over the last 3 years.

Better for buyers Better for sellers

More Consistent:

For approximately 1 out of 5 transactions on eBay today, you are required to leave the site to pay for an item. Integrating approved payment methods into eBay checkout provides a consistent and trusted experience.

Safer:

Individuals who pay with a check or money order on eBay.com, are 80% more likely to file an "item not received" dispute, and 50% more likely to leave a negative feedback than buyers who pay with PayPal or a credit card. Prohibiting paper payments greatly reduces your exposure to fraudulent activity.

If something does go wrong, you likely have more recourse with electronic payment methods. Starting this fall, eligible items paid with PayPal on eBay.com will be covered by PayPal Buyer Protection for the full purchase price and original shipping costs and at no additional cost. There will no longer be a coverage limit. See eligibility.

Faster:

Your sellers will be paid faster with electronic payment methods, so they can ship items to you quickly. Faster and More Efficient:

Electronic payment methods give you faster access to funds, which means earlier shipments and an increase in buyer satisfaction. Of US transactions paid with PayPal, 25% were paid within 5 minutes and 73% within 24 hours.

More Reliable:

You will no longer be susceptible to fraudulent money orders which many sellers tell us is a significant risk. Plus, listings on eBay.com that don't accept PayPal or credit cards are more than twice as likely to experience an unpaid item than listings that only accept PayPal and/or credit card.

Beginning in late October, PayPal Seller Protection will US sellers offer coverage with no annual limit for eBay items shipped to over 190 countries—even if the address is unconfirmed—at no additional cost. See eligibility

More Sales

These payment changes should also increase buyer confidence in shopping on eBay, which should result in increased sales for you and other sellers.

FAQs

What do I have to do to comply and when will I need to make these changes to my listings?

What will happen to my listings after October if I don't remove prohibited payment methods?

What will happen if I ask a buyer to use prohibited payment method?

Other FAQs for buyers and sellers

Can you fix the link?

Never mind, my Norton was running in the back ground.

symposium.jpg

Satire and not to be misconstrued as my concept of how I perceive these new ideas.

10_12_4.gif36_11_6.gif

I for one am GLAD to see eBay do this. I hate checks. I hate money orders. I hate getting either when I sell an item on eBay due to the banks wanting from 5-10 business days to clear.

I for one want to sell an item. Get paid for it at the time of sell and mail it that same day. The same with when I buy something. I pay and it is shipped to me that same day.

This will also weed out a lot of BAD sellers.

And on the plus side it will help the areas such as The Money Marketplace in Our forum here along with many others. Not to mention smaller auction sites yada yada yada…………….

Guys you just have to face the facts of the electronic age. Big brother has and will be able to keep their eye on you better……….

The days of GREAT deals are coming to an end……………………

And even to point that one day there will be no currency… !!!

So Flame away at my views I can take it.

(thumbs u

If you hate checks and money orders that much, there is an easy way around this. Offer PayPal as the only option when you sell and only buy from sellers who accept PayPal.

Personally, I like having the choice of how I pay and how I get paid. While probably 95% of my buyers pay using PayPal, there are a couple who pay cash as they do not have access to PayPal (no credit cards or bank accounts) and a few older people who do not trust the system. A couple of people told me that PayPal isn't offered in their country! I guess I will lose those people as customers or risk the wrath of the eBay police.

eBay is looking desperate right now. The people running it are clueless. It's getting harder and harder to sell on eBay and their numbers are clearly showing it. I know I've cut way back on eBay sales.

I for one am GLAD to see eBay do this. I hate checks. I hate money orders. I hate getting either when I sell an item on eBay due to the banks wanting from 5-10 business days to clear.

So.... what does this have to do with anything? You can still require e-payments if YOU want, but why does that need impact what I WANT?

I love checks, I love money orders, and I will not take paypal, not now, not ever. With paper, I have something tangible that I can photocopy and archive for tax purposes, and never have to worry about hackers stealing my online information. There are far more miscreants out there trying to hack websites than there are trying to steal my shoeboxes of disorganized papers.

I just tried to post a comment and I got the following error?

Error: you do not have permission to view the requested forum or category.

I am logged in and I am a power seller....surely I have a right to post to the topic don't I????doh!

As mainly a buyer on ebay, I prefer paying with paypal. :o Whatever I'm buying is shipped faster and protected by paypal, supposedly. But I think people should have the choice to send whatever payment the seller accepts. I believe its a scam to put more money into paypal's pocket and deeping ebay's pockets at the same time. :boo:

I contacted most of my ebay "favorite" sellers and have already gotten several responses that I may contact them about their BIN items and auctions and make offers to them and they will accept money orders from me and yank the listings...talk about ebay cutting off their nose to spite their faces...

I believe its a scam to put more money into paypal's pocket and deeping ebay's pockets at the same time.

Wow.....! I didnt know it was wrong to make money or to much.

But I see some feel that way.

I guess next some will want the FEDs to tax ebay a US Auction fee?

Who says it's wrong to make more money? The problem is that forcing paypal makes me LESS money, since a third to a half of my meager profit is automatically yanked out of my pocket.

not to mention that now that all transactions will have an electronic signiture and record the next step may very well be that the FEDS will start taxing the sellers .....what ever happened to freedom and liberty?..not to mention the US Dollar as Legal Tender for all debts public and private...it seems that only paypal is legal tender at ebay now..

There is nothing wrong with making money, no matter how obscene an amount is made.

There IS something wrong with interfering with a legal contract, and the process of the "meeting of the minds" (a requirement to be a legally binding contract)

There IS something wrong with interfering with the tendering of a legal obligation, especially if the two parties involved in the obligation agree to allow legal tender which checks are, just so as cash.

There IS something wrong with a company utilizing its market position to encourage a trust for its subsidiary in another market.

There IS something wrong with a company gaining position in competitors in order to create a trust situation in an industry.

There IS something wrong with a company continuing to attempt to hide behind safe harbors claiming to be a "venue only" when in fact they are party to the commercial contract.

There IS something wrong with a company acting in the capacity of a financial institute without the proper licensing and charters (eBay is NOT PayPal and must obtain their own licensing as a financial institute)

There IS something wrong with misleading your customers into believing that you have no judicial remedies against them for misappropriation of funds and refusal to release depositories.

There IS something wrong with a company acting as a broker or consignment house without the proper licensing and oversight in each State.

There is a lot more going on here than you realize, and most of it is out in the open, spread throughout here and there. there is nothing wrong with a company making money...but acting fraudulently and misleading your customers is very likely unlawful and/or illegal. We'll have to see how most of what eBay is going to do pans out in the U.S. Australia and France have already reined them in and set things straight. Let's see what the U.S. consumers (the most complacent in the world) react to this.

Even without the fact that eBay plans on eliminating shipping and handling next year, the 12% FVF on coins, the shipping maximums (shipping gold costs NO LESS than $6 first class to do it "the right way"), the fact that eBay (the company itself) will now receive and distribute ALL...yes...ALL non-in-person payments, and the other stuff they have in store...eBay is very very far from being anything closely resembling "just a venue", and I personally cannot wait to see a judge rip them three or four holes when trying to use that excuse in the future like they have in the past.

France already saw through them and ripped them a nice one. To say that if you do not like them, go elsewhere is a joke. They have been and are suing any competitor they can, even slinking into their stocks and suing as investors, to eliminate the competition.

It simply amazes me how many people there actually are who see nothing wrong with all of this because they're a company and "have a right" to do this. Well, they do "have a right" to do it...but NOT if they are "just a venue". If they do this they are NOT "just a venue" and now have SO MUCH in way of legal liability...especially with counterfeit coins! If they want to act as more than "just a venue", then I'll be glad to see them slapped with all the responsibility and liability that comes with it.