• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

An Opportunity to Perhaps Educate an Ebay Buyer?????

11 posts in this topic

I am interested in some thoughts and opininions regarding what recently happened to me on Ebay. I am in the process of going through and parting with some of the "cleaned" coins that were part of my father's collection, for the most part replacing with good mint state examples. I recently posted a coin for sale and described it as follows with images:

"For sale is a (________________) . It is "cleaned" with what I describe as "wipe" marks in the coin’s open fields. Nevertheless, it is a nice looking coin which is a very white, bright silver color not reflected in the images shown."

The buyer sent me this reply after the sale:

"Thank you for selling such a nice coin. Old commems that are in excellent condition are making a come-back and I hope to buy all of them. Thanks again."

Although I was very upfront about the condition of the coin, I tend to believe that perhaps the buyer may not completely understand the ins and outs of cleaned versus non-cleaned/orginal.

Should I take the opportunity to explain in a courteous manner in case he may not understand? My initial reaction is to do so.

Rey

Rey, if your feeling guilty about selling a described coin to a buyer who is as pleased as punch…you must ask this question to your self: In the description am I in any fashion attempting to evade the condition of the coin? If the answer is no, then it is safe to say you did your utmost best and that is all that can be asked.

Honesty will be rewarded.

He's happy! Leave it alone!

He may fully comprehend the meaning. If you feel that you must try to educate him, he may feel insulted and won't buy any more of your cleaned coins.

Chris

I agree that you have no additional obligation, From my experience, you are one of the few sellers who will make such a statement. Most sellers say nothing and I think this occurs even when they know that this is true. They will not disclose any other defects either because to do so will reduce their price..

An honest description and a happy buyer......

I'm sure I would leave it at that.

Paul

(thumbs uanything else you want to do; from my experiences in the coin game i a HUGE WASTE OF TIMEalso remember no good deed goes unpunished and this statement is multiplied many times with coin collectors

I am interested in some thoughts and opininions regarding what recently happened to me on Ebay. I am in the process of going through and parting with some of the "cleaned" coins that were part of my father's collection, for the most part replacing with good mint state examples. I recently posted a coin for sale and described it as follows with images:

"For sale is a (________________) . It is "cleaned" with what I describe as "wipe" marks in the coin’s open fields. Nevertheless, it is a nice looking coin which is a very white, bright silver color not reflected in the images shown."

The buyer sent me this reply after the sale:

"Thank you for selling such a nice coin. Old commems that are in excellent condition are making a come-back and I hope to buy all of them. Thanks again."

Although I was very upfront about the condition of the coin, I tend to believe that perhaps the buyer may not completely understand the ins and outs of cleaned versus non-cleaned/orginal.

Should I take the opportunity to explain in a courteous manner in case he may not understand? My initial reaction is to do so.

Rey

Rey, I commend you for caring and for your up-front description. I don't know if anything you could say would matter to the buyer, but what would you WANT to say? If you feel up to it, why not write it here and let's discuss/consider it? ;)

Thank you everyone for your replies and opinions. The buyer's follow up message regarding the shipment of the coin to him was equally as "exciting", etc. I provided a full 7 day return policy so I think I will wait to see his reaction to having the coin in hand as I am sure, based on his previous messages, he will let me know he received it. At that time I will determine what if anything to "explain" to him.

For now though it is what it is.

I just want to make sure that anyone buying any coin I may sell understands what they are getting from the start and truly want it as part of their collecton or for whatever reasons they may desire it.

Rey