• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

US MINT UPDATES

11 posts in this topic

1. The 2003 nickels are BACK. Where they went nobody knows, but they're back with that amazing mint mark up.

2. Next years Edison commem. pictures are available. Reverse is butt-ugly!

3. Silver eagle proofs - SOLD OUT (good thing I ordered mine Saturday thumbsup2.gif).

1. The 2003 nickels are BACK. Where they went nobody knows, but they're back with that amazing mint mark up.

Well, you have to admit that they sold a hell of a lot of the pocket change state quarters at inflated prices to suckers. Why not try to do the same with the nickels.

Hey, give credit where credit is due. The obverse is also butt-ugly.

3. Silver eagle proofs - SOLD OUT (good thing I ordered mine Saturday thumbsup2.gif).

They should bundle these with the 1999 proof SBAs that they still have.

Well, you have to admit that they sold a hell of a lot of the pocket change state quarters at inflated prices to suckers. Why not try to do the same with the nickels.

Hey, give credit where credit is due. The obverse is also butt-ugly.

They should bundle these with the 1999 proof SBAs that they still have.

Seriously, that Edison has images fit for crummy highschool history book covers. They ought to give you 35 of those 1999 SBAs for each Edison purchase to cover your costs and get rid of those damn things already. Also, those nickels are just plain ridiculous. I mean come on already. Has anybody bought them? What is the quality. Less than mint set I suppose.

Oh, and another stupid thing about the mint. Why do these post item images on the home page front that when you clink them link to long sold out products? Today they actually had 2002 rolls of Kennedys? I actually got excited for a minute thinking they found some left over and decided to sell them. NOPE. Instead, 'This item is no longer available.' Duhh, it has been for what, a year now? What the hell is going on down there? makepoint.gifmakepoint.gifmakepoint.gifmakepoint.gifmakepoint.gifmakepoint.gifmakepoint.gifmakepoint.gifmakepoint.gif

Thanks for the link, and I wonder why that image has huge rims, like the Sac-o-[!@#%^&^] dollar? I also paged down and say the Lewis and Clark dollar again, man, why don't they just put that stupid peace medal on every 2004 coin next year? Can you come up with an original design idea? Oh wait, these are government workers we are talking about here. It's really sat, when the "artists" in charge of our coinage designs, perhaps the only potential pieces of art available to the masses, have less creativity than an accountant convention (and I have a degree in accounting, so I can say it!). 893frustrated.gifforeheadslap.giftonofbricks.gifmakepoint.gif

Iguess I'll be in the minority here and say I like the Lewis and Clark dollar. Nice design and concepts.

On the other hand, the Edison dollar is awful. I know what they were trying to get at, but the lightbulb sending off waves of light simply looks terrible, especially when other depictions of lightbulbs do a much better job at the same thing. I also think the obverse is completely uninspired. Why not have Edison working over a bench of gadgets, rather than having him as an old man standing there playing pocket pool? flamed.gif

Hoot

I also like the Lewis & Clark dollar. Donna Weaver designed it and she normally has good designs. However, John Mercanti is also a prominent and skillfull engraver but he is responsible for the reverse design of the Edison dollar. Oh well, everone drops the ball sometime or the other.

Actually, I think that Nicola Tesla should be honoured over Edison. The way that I understand it is that Edison swiped alot of ideas from Tesla anyway. Tesla was an outright genius but had no favor with the government. Edison, on the other hand (even though he deserves proper credit for his achievements) was the poster child for the US and is more well known because of it.

I noticed they are charging $8.95 instead of the original price of $14.95 they advertised for the nickles... which is better but still over twice what they are worth.

-Dave