• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Something's off with this Morgan silver dollar

15 posts in this topic

boxoftwenty44a.jpg

boxoftwenty44b.jpg

It is a real Morgan dollar but is almost twice the size of a regular one. I don't know exactly how. I certainly don't know why.

Just thought it was kind of, sort of cool.

It is a real Morgan dollar but is almost twice the size of a regular one.

Real? Maybe in China.

Still, it's cool! Do you think it is silver?

Chris

It is a real Morgan dollar but is almost twice the size of a regular one.

Real? Maybe in China.

Still, it's cool! Do you think it is silver?

Chris

Maybe real LOOKING Pat? Would be interesting to know if it was silver. Know what it weighs Pat?

This is a real nice replica or tribute coin. Private mints make larger than life tribute pieces of all sorts of things including the modern bullion coins. They usually don't even put "copy" or "replica" on them because the owner is expected to know it's fake based on the size.

Some of these posts leave me wondering if any of you really understand how metal would respond. I REALLY doubt that you could flatten a coin and get any where near that. You'd most likely get a featureless or nearly featureless disk.

and James, a "Texas Coin?" Really? I just don't get why people are obsessed with the big jokes about Texas. It's not that funny....

Besides, if it was Texan it'd be twice as big and THICKER!

and James, a "Texas Coin?" Really? I just don't get why people are obsessed with the big jokes about Texas. It's not that funny....

Shame on you, James. Don't you know us Texans lack senses of humor?

hm I thought my parting comment made it sufficiently humorous.

It's not that Texans lack a sense of humor, but it is more akin to a bunch of rattlers coming out of their winter den.

Probably the "biggest" joke I ever read about Texas, dates back to 1971. Art Buchwald wrote an editorial for the Washington Post entitled GET OUR BOYS OUT OF TEXAS NOW! When I was stationed at West Ft. Hood, I worked with an officer who was from an "old rich" family of Austin. He gave me the clipping, and told me that it wasn't too far from the truth. It was hilarious. I know I still have it. I'll see if I can find it.

Chris

Some of these posts leave me wondering if any of you really understand how metal would respond. I REALLY doubt that you could flatten a coin and get any where near that. You'd most likely get a featureless or nearly featureless disk.

Besides, if it was Texan it'd be twice as big and THICKER!

lol

Actually, "Texas coin" is a numismatic reference to a coin that has been placed between two strips of leather, and carefully hammered to expand its diameter (reducing its thickness, of course). If done properly and with care, the coin can be enlarged considerably while retaining accurate detail. I've only seen a couple of actual such pieces, but I believe larger coins are typically used.