• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Updated pricing for Multi Coin Reholder Service

10 posts in this topic

re: Introducing Multi Coin Reholder Service

Beginning this month, customers may submit coins already certified by NGC for reholdering within the new Multi-Coin holders.

In the case of coins already certified by NGC as MS-70 or PF-70... This service is uniquely different from a typical reholder. Extra care throughout the production line that requires additional time must be taken in handling coins that are removed from NGC holders and re-encapsulated in the multi holder, especially when handling MS and PF 70 coins.

So, I infer from the article that all other coins less than 70 are handled with less care. What, is it no big deal to submit a ms 69 coin and get it back fingerprinted and scratched? Your logic is flawed and reflects negatively upon NGC.

Dena,

Are the multi-coin holders the same dimension as the current US proof sets?

• Administrator

Dena,

Are the multi-coin holders the same dimension as the current US proof sets?

No, the dimensions of the Multi Coin holder are 4" x 7 3/4"

So, I infer from the article that all other coins less than 70 are handled with less care. What, is it no big deal to submit a ms 69 coin and get it back fingerprinted and scratched? Your logic is flawed and reflects negatively upon NGC.

Victor,

Forgive me for saying so, but I think you're reading waaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyy too much into what Dena/NGC wrote about the reholdering of MS/PF70 slabs than for the other graded slabs.

IMO, there is nothing wrong with asserting that extra care is needed to handle coins that are of theoretical perfection. And, that certainly does NOT imply casual or indifferent handling of the other coins.

In short, where on Earth did you get that notion about fingerprints and scratches? 893whatthe.gif

It is pretty clear to everyone who is unbiased that NGC, as an organization, tries very hard to maintain a very high level of customer service. If I am not mistaken, that is one of the reasons why collectors prefer NGC. Surely it isn't because of the mesmerizing stare from Dena's one eye?!?

EVP

Until further notice, only coins already certified and encapsulated by NGC may be placed into the Multi-Coin holders, but it is expected that this service will be broadened soon.

I hope it broadens to raw coins as well. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif It's pointless to have a coin certified, cracked out, only to be reholdered again in the new multi-holder. What difference does it make? The cost for the grading service is the same whether the coin is slabbed or not. I'd think a few custumers have been put on hold with this service. 27_laughing.gif

Furthermore, NGC should initiate some control on the quality of coins submitted for the holders. If 5 coins/NGC slabs smirk.gif are submitted for the multi- holder and one of the coins looks inferior to the other 4.......well, you should know what I getting at...perhaps the new holder should also set a high standard to what gets holdered and what not!

This service is uniquely different from a typical reholder. Extra care throughout the production line that requires additional time must be taken in handling coins that are removed from NGC holders and re-encapsulated in the multi holder, especially when handling MS and PF 70 coins.

Reading the first line of this statement does give me a bias impression of their service. Whether my coins are for the new holder or the regular slab, I'd want the extra care, nontheless. Especially if the cost of the PR 67 DCAM outweighs that of a PR70. makepoint.gif

Leo news.gif

Victor,

Forgive me for saying so, but I think you're reading waaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyy too much into what Dena/NGC wrote about the reholdering of MS/PF70 slabs than for the other graded slabs.

IMO, there is nothing wrong with asserting that extra care is needed to handle coins that are of theoretical perfection. And, that certainly does NOT imply casual or indifferent handling of the other coins.

In short, where on Earth did you get that notion about fingerprints and scratches? 893whatthe.gif

It is pretty clear to everyone who is unbiased that NGC, as an organization, tries very hard to maintain a very high level of customer service. If I am not mistaken, that is one of the reasons why collectors prefer NGC. Surely it isn't because of the mesmerizing stare from Dena's one eye?!?

EVP

EVP & Dena,

I concede that my tone was a little snotty, but I stick by my guns about the gest of the statement.

Of course, I can see NGC's point of view but I still feel that all coins submitted should undergo the same level of care, regardless of the grade. And, as stated, I infer from the press release that less than perfect submissions may be handled with less care although I'm sure that that is not true.

I'm certainly not bashing NGC. I have the utmost respect for their knowledge, professionalism and contributions to the hobby. Perhaps this is why I hold them to a higher standard than other TGS's.

p.s. Bummer that the multi-coin holder isn't the same dimensions as the proof set. I have a 1999 and 2000 silver proof set in NGC holders that I was planning to submit in order for them to fit in the Eagle album for proof sets.